wicker man soundtrack...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wicker man soundtrack...

just got the "wicker man" soundtrack today (not the trunk one which has all the dialogue on) and i'm blown away by hearing it properly after all this time. i'm sure there are a few other fans of this OST amongst the vultures.

so - what about the composer paul giovanni? has he done anything else good? this can't be the only good thing he's done.

There's an instrumental of Willow's Song on the Silva Screen website.
    Errr..Hambone?

Comment

</span>
      Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wooly on 5:23 pm on Mar. 7, 2003
      just got the &quot;wicker man&quot; soundtrack today (not the trunk one which has all the dialogue on) and i'm blown away by hearing it properly after all this time. i'm sure there are a few other fans of this OST amongst the vultures.

so - what about the composer paul giovanni? has he done anything else good? this can't be the only good thing he's done.
      <span =''>

In the sleevenotes to the SilvaScreen reissue (brilliant as you say - less atmosphere than the Trunk, but good to hear Willow's song &amp; Johnny Gently in glorious stereo!!) it says Giovanni worked mostly in theatre &amp; returned to the US to spend the rest of his days on &amp; off-Broadway... so as far as I know 'Wicker Man' is all there is. Love to hear different, though...
      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I've got the red vinyl trunk copy which I managed to scratch. I hate it when that happens. I feel like I should apologise to Johnny Trunk for such disrespect. I have the double DVD too. Good stuff. Quality film.

Comment

</span>
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ] Giovanni worked mostly in theatre &amp; returned to the US to spend the rest of his days on &amp; off-Broadway... so as far as I know 'Wicker Man' is all there is. Love to hear different, though...
          <span =''>

yes, i read that in the sleevenotes too. i guess it makes it even more special if that's all he's really done that's worth checking. well, that's one way of looking at it i s'pose.

i also liked the trunk release, but you need &quot;gently johnny&quot; and some of the other tracks definitely benefit from not having the sound effects and dialogue all over them.

Comment

Wooly, did you manage to pick the new release up on vinyl? I know it's suposed to be coming.....

TaTa

Urko
            For folks sake!

Comment

</span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from urko on 7:54 pm on Mar. 10, 2003
              Wooly, did you manage to pick the new release up on vinyl? I know it's suposed to be coming.....
              <span =''>

hey urko, unfortunately not - it's one of those silver discs. not nearly as satisfying. when is the vinyl supposed to be out? i'll be first in line for it. not that i want to play &quot;the tinker of rye&quot; out or anything...

Comment

</span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Quote: from wooly on 9:09 pm on Mar. 10, 2003
                </span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Quote: from urko on 7:54 pm on Mar. 10, 2003
                Wooly, did you manage to pick the new release up on vinyl? I know it's suposed to be coming.....hey urko, unfortunately not - it's one of those silver discs. not nearly as satisfying. when is the vinyl supposed to be out? i'll be first in line for it. not that i want to play &quot;the tinker of rye&quot; out or anything...
                <span =''>
                <span =''>

Hi Wooly

I got in touch with them and they said that it looks like they will issue it on vinyl during the spring and to keep an eye on the website. I know a couple of folks who will be playing it out at the excellent monthly Pagan Nights which takes place in Folkestone at the Sound Lounge [a bar / club owned by Paul from Morcheeba www.soundsurgery.org ]

Oh I forgot, for anyone in the South East wishing to check out Pagan Nights or this new venue the next one is this Thursday.

TaTa
                Urko

(Edited by urko at 1:06 pm on Mar. 11, 2003)
                For folks sake!

Comment

sounds good, urko!

Comment

Wooly
                    Old thread, but I thought I&#39;d let you know that the Wicker Man now out on Simply Vinyl edition. Very ltd I&#39;m told, 1000 copies. Don&#39;t think thats gonna hang round for long&#33;

TaTa

Urko
                    For folks sake!

Comment

cheers urko, true to your word&#33;

Comment

From what jonny tells me about Simply - They kind of stabbed him in the back over the wicker man OST...Very shady.
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I didn&#39;t like the way that the Trunk issue was derided by the sleeve notes and the website - I think both issues complement each other really well. Oh and the usual Simply caveat applies to the vinyl Wicker Man - 20 pounds for a single LP
                          Errr..Hambone?

Comment

yes, i noticed the bitchiness after i had a look round. maybe i&#39;ll just stay with the trunk release and the silva screen one on cd. and 20 quid for one record is a bit much for someone who&#39;s basically skint at the moment.

Comment

If you like that particular kind of stuff , then some late sixties/early seventies groups like The Trees, and Mellow Candle have a similar pagan folk attitude to them, and of course i couldn&#39;t leave ooot the fookin&#39; magnificent Dead can Dance, another personal fave.
                              derelicts of dialect

Comment

Working...
                              X