Drum sounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum sounds

Just spinning a few tunes with big drums and wondered which drums do you rate in terms of production and sound?

Mike Clark's sounds on 'Survival of the fittest', Impeach the President, John Bonham's kits, and Bill Bruford's amazing snare sounds are up there for me, how about you?
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Off the top of my head, Kenny Clare's KPM sessions and Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie's 'Soul Drums' LP.

Comment

The Chess records in house drummer (Pigmeat Markam's Here comes the Judge & many others).Ziggy Modeliste (sp).?! Al Jackson. All James Browns drummers...
      Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Barry White productions. Hands down. The snare sound he got was amazing.
        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Dec. 17 2003,18:44)]Barry White productions. Hands down. The snare sound he got was amazing.
          Yeah, now we getting into some heavy geek...

I've been going apeshit for the drum sound on Zappa's "Peaches En Regalia" for a while now - especially the kick... so much character!

This shit is like wine appreciation.

Is the fill from the start of "You'll Like It Too" the best drum fill ever? I think it might be.

Comment

"funky drummer" is one of the best, hands down.. clyde stubblefield was it?

but then most of my favourites are uncredited, or at least said drummer didn't go on to greater glory, to my knowledge (although i've never really done much to check it out admittedly).

some rather obvious off the top of my head choices :

power of zeus (never tire of hearing this)
            the hunter lp on KPM (brian bennett)
            michel gagnon
            niagara "tit" cover - love the way this is treated

and bizarrely the shadows "kinda cool" (i think?) - probably because it was one of the first records i really noticed the drums on when i was a hip-hop sprog looking for records with drums on in my parents record collection

Comment

james black...

Comment

The drum sound that John Richards got at CTS during the 70s is amazing. For example, check out how Chris Karan's drums sound on the 'Diamonds' OST.

If you watch old TV, check out how tough Barry Morgan's drums sound in Laurie Johnson's incidental scores for 'The Professionals' and 'The New Avengers' - absolutely amazing.

Also, John Iles, John Kurlander and John Timperley always got a great drum sound at Chappell's and EMI in the 1970s, as did Ray Prickett at PYE, not of course forgetting Adrian Kerridge and John Mackswith's 70s drum sound at the Lansdowne studios.
                Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ Dec. 18 2003,08:20)]The drum sound that John Richards got at CTS during the 70s is amazing. For example, check out how Chris Karan's drums sound on the 'Diamonds' OST.
                  i'm wondering if the same engineer was responsible for the drum sounds on "fear is the key" in that case. some of my favourite h-hats on that record, i've never heard them tick like that anywhere else. also featuring chris karan on drums and recorded at CTS...

Comment

Absolutely the King of snare production and sound was Charles Stepney.

Rotary Connection - Respect
                    Marlena Shaw - California Soul
                    Phil Upchurch - Black Gold
                    Minnie Riperton - Les Fleur

etc

And later on, the crisp sound he contributed to Deniece Williams and 'Free'.

In fact, it can never be said enough, the man's a genius.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Absolutely the King of snare production and sound was Charles Stepney....it can never be said enough, the man's a genius.
                      Fuhgeddaboudit! Charles Stepney is a God. Now you've gone and made me want to get home early and start caning Stepney productions.

In particular, the drums for Maurice White on some of the Ramsey Lewis LPs:

Mother Nature's Son ('Back In The USSR', 'Dear Prudence' and 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide...&#39

Another Voyage ('Bold and Black&#39

And then the layers of strings that the man used!! Legend.

Benicio
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wooly @ Dec. 18 2003,08:29)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ Dec. 18 2003,08:20)]The drum sound that John Richards got at CTS during the 70s is amazing. For example, check out how Chris Karan's drums sound on the 'Diamonds' OST.
                        i'm wondering if the same engineer was responsible for the drum sounds on "fear is the key" in that case. some of my favourite h-hats on that record, i've never heard them tick like that anywhere else. also featuring chris karan on drums and recorded at CTS...
                        You're right - the hihats sound great on 'The Car Chase' - I'd recoginise John Richards compression technique anywhere - he's such a brilliant engineer.
                        Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Wow! Belson and Bennie's chat about Charles Stepney has got me all wanting to go home, f*ck work off for the rest of the day and treat my neighbours to some of this guy's towering productions.... Awesome !

Which one gives you the most goose-pimples ? Minnie's "Les Fleur" or RC's "Respect".... ? ? ?

p.s. I've got "Les Fleur" on a 45 recently and it's edited (albeit only slightly) to just under three minutes... and it really ruins it !  
                          If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Dec. 18 2003,11:06)]Wow! Belson and Bennie's chat about Charles Stepney has got me all wanting to go home, f*ck work off for the rest of the day and treat my neighbours to some of this guy's towering productions.... Awesome !

Which one gives you the most goose-pimples ? Minnie's "Les Fleur" or RC's "Respect".... ? ? ?

p.s. I've got "Les Fleur" on a 45 recently and it's edited (albeit only slightly) to just under three minutes... and it really ruins it !  
                            Out of those two, I'ld go with 'Respect' - now that's how to do a cover version, eh!!!

The Stepney production that drops my jaw *every* time, is 'I am the black gold of the sun'. That jawn is awesome - has me singing along word for word, including the little excerts of laughter 'he he he, smilin' on every one'.

Got goosebumps just thinking about it.

Comment

I've always been keen on Ramsey Lewis' version of Les Fleur off 'Maiden Voyage' too.. orchestraljazzpianojawnrare

Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X