A postage rate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A postage rate question

Is it right that I've just been quoted £27 for shipping one record to Switzerland!?

The post office said that I can use only Parcel Farce @ £27 or Fedex @ £40. I seem to remember receiving a record from Switzerland and the postage being something like £9.

Waddahell?

Well your Post Office is misinformed Greg. You can use Royal Mail's 'Airsure' to mail items recorded to Switzerland (Standard Small Packet Airmail + £4.00) - which gives you a 'Track & Trace' on the item with a signature required at the other end.

Your £9 suggestion will be on the money for sending it this way, but I don't see any reason why standard Airmail for low value items (or 'International Signed For' for that matter).
    Matt Hero

Comment

Danke, Mr. Hero.

The main office at Surbiton (and it's a biggy, I tell ya) were very adamant about their reply.

Chancers the lot of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Belson @ Dec. 22 2003,11:16)]The main office at Surbiton (and it's a biggy, I tell ya) were very adamant about their reply.
        Strange Greg..... the info is all on the Royal Mail site (under Airmail prices and follow the links to 'Airsure&#39 and mentions Switzerland by name.

Now, are there incentives for staff to send traffic to Parcelforce do you think ? Personally, sending stuff by them, especially in the UK is a whole *world* of fun.

'Yes, your parcel has been tracked into the Southampton depot.'
        'So, can I go and get it, I'm just around the corner ?'
        'No, they won't know where to look for it if you turn up there.'
        'So, when will they know where it is ?'
        'When it is checked onto a truck for delivery.'
        '..but then I won't be able to collect it will I !'
        'Ah, I see your point now.'
        'So when will it be checked onto a truck ?'
        'We're a bit behind at the moment, could be up to a week....'
        'On a 48 hours hour delivery parcel ?
        'Oh, the 48 hours is just to the local depot. Delivery to your address might take longer.'
        'Well, it *will* take longer won't it ?'
        'Erm, I s'pose so.'

Then my head exploded.
        Matt Hero

Comment

Just a thought Greg - are they assuming that you want to send this parcel in time for Christmas?
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I just spent a glorious TWO hours outside (yes outside) in a queue at the sorting office this morning. In the infinite wisdom of the post office they only had 1 person at the desk today. Must have been fifty people waiting. We all went to the cafe bought coffee and bacon sangers and stood freezing our nuts off.

Thankfully the buggers found my few records but half the people walked away with nowt...oh my. That is quite soul destroying.

PS quick tip. Give your postie a bottle of scotch if you see them. Anything to stop him trying to force 7's through my letter box!
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

So that&#39;s where all my rekkids are going?&#33;?    You wouldn&#39;t like &#39;em anyhow Serms...

Last week my postie left a package outside. In the damp. Behind the recycling bin. Where card for recycling should be left. Can anyone spot the obvious mistakes?&#33;?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

The classic was when my postie left a 7 under the doormat....didnt spot it for 2 days&#33;

Comment

i still don&#39;t understand why you lot just don&#39;t get records delivered to work - always someone there to receive it and it gives you something to look forward to when you get in&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Dec. 22 2003,13:27)]i still don&#39;t understand why you lot just don&#39;t get records delivered to work - always someone there to receive it and it gives you something to look forward to when you get in&#33;
                    I work from home.

Relations between myself and my postie are *not* good..... although hopefully he won&#39;t leave any more records out in the rain after I phoned up to complain.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Well. We don&#39;t have a receptionist - work 10-6 (the post gets delivered in a big pile on the floor) and have about 5 other companies in the same building...well I would rather chance it to get them sent home.

Seeing as I could piss on mt pleasant sorting office I might actually invest in a po box. anyone know how much they are?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (sermad @ Dec. 22 2003,13:37)]Seeing as I could piss on mt pleasant sorting office I might actually invest in a po box.
                        Matt Hero

Comment

Sorry I meant &#39;from my office window with a good northerly wind&#39;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Dec. 22 2003,13:27)]i still don&#39;t understand why you lot just don&#39;t get records delivered to work - always someone there to receive it and it gives you something to look forward to when you get in&#33;
                            ****NEVER, EVER, EVER**** get your records delivered to work.

So far, I&#39;ve had three records go missing including one that cost me £150. I&#39;m trying to find out who actually signed for it on receipt, but of course nobody is owning up to theiving my record.

The last one to go missing was the Speedometer album that Jay Brew mailed me using a signature firm.

Makes no odds - somebody has chiefed it and I&#39;m not likely to see it.

Comment

I have to add to this list if only to remove the almost kill instinct when I see my postie. Yes he does deliver almost all my records, [my local P.O have another guy who runs the vans with the heavier stuff] so you might say I&#39;ve a postie-on-45 and an LP ONLY chap&#33;
                              Even though my regular postie-on-45 knows me only too well by now, what with me chasing him up the street almost every week in order to extract my lovely vinyl from his hungry mittens [as if he has numerous 45 deliveries, he only ever leaves a gap of seconds after ringing my bell and then stuffs a delivery notice thru the letterbox], he also has some really strange tactics when attempting delivery: bending the card mailer to fit the letterbox ; leaving the record with a distant, I mean totally unknown to me neighbour who takes it in then loses it &amp; then tells me it&#39;s back with the P.O ; or my fave, SLASHES the packet and removes contents to slip into my letterbox or even better, then leaves it on the wet &amp; filthy mat outside the bloody door
                              Can you frigging believe this? I mean would you do this with anybodys shit if you were on a delivery.....EVER???
                              I guess that&#39;s better than the week I got mad lucky and scooped up 3 out of my Top 10 wants, heavilly expensive joints, ok and bloody hard to track down and I come home to find all 3 of them sitting on my doorstep in full view of the open gate&#33; He couldn&#39;t have done a better job of it had he strapped a flashing neon sign to the packages saying UBER RARE VINYL SALE whilst flying the bloody world of sport plane overhead trailing a promotional banner&#33;&#33;&#33;
                              Unbelievable......But even all that subsides into insignificance when I recall wanting a Charles Earland track and having to buy 6 of his LP&#39;s in order to get the one I wanted [I was still a wet-behind-the-ears collector then ] After waiting patiently for the bundle of records to arrive, I collected them from my local P.O and met up with my little bro for a coffee. He told me to stick the records in his boot which I did. I noticed the boot was filled with cardboard packaging &amp; thought nothing of it. After the coffee he dropped me home and it wasnt till later that I realized I&#39;d left my stash of Earland LP&#39;s in the boot of his car. I called him but heard nowt till the next day when it he solemnly reported to me that he&#39;d emptied his entire boot contents, records and all, down the dump&#33; I never even got to hear one of them joints let alone all 6&#33; Naturally, I shot him. He can walk still but he aint never gonna drive that bloody car again&#33;

Happy Christmas&#33;
                              I was raised by wolves

Comment

Working...
                              X