Are there enough records to go round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there enough records to go round?

This has come up on [email protected]~£$&%~t and Deepfunk in the past few days and it got me thinking (like whoa&#33... Who's in charge, you or your records? Do you ever find yourself making decisions because of them (not moving house, getting paranoid when you've missed a weekend's digging...)? I mean, I'd like to believe that there's plenty more records than I could ever need and, even if I didn't buy something for a year, there's plenty more fish, etc. but sometimes I don't behave like that's the case.

"Let's have a heated debate."

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Dec. 23 2003,14:09)]This has come up on [email protected]~£$&%~t and Deepfunk in the past few days and it got me thinking (like whoa&#33... Who's in charge, you or your records? Do you ever find yourself making decisions because of them (not moving house, getting paranoid when you've missed a weekend's digging...)?
    I've tried to get a bit of perspective on going out to dig recently.

There was a time where if I missed a weekends boots or for some reason was too busy to get to the charity shops for a few weeks, that I'd get paranoid about what I was missing.

More recently I've been trying to check myself a bit on that, as the number of records coming through the door on an average week was getting so large that I wasn't able to listen let alone store them. Especially as I've got equal amounts of books & Sindy toys coming in via Caz.

Mind you, got to pop to the newsagents in a mo.... is would be *stupid* of me not to do the charity shops at the same time wouldn't it ?
    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 23 2003,14:23)]Mind you, got to pop to the newsagents in a mo.... is would be *stupid* of me not to do the charity shops at the same time wouldn't it ?
      If you ask the newsagent if Marlborough won't supply packs of cigarettes in fives, just so you have to go twice as often, I think you may be in trouble...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

I often think that us Vultures pass a lot of records back and forth between ourselves - there have been several occasions where I've got a record via a trade or from ebay and a mailer has been reused and I recognise the previous sender as a fellow vulture!

As for the record digging ruling your life - I'm afraid so - I CANNOT walk past an open charity / junk / 2nd hand record shop without popping in, even if I was in there the day before - well you just never know
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

some good points. seems that two questions are being asked here:
          1. are there enough/any more records out there waiting to be found?
          2. do records have a disproportionate emphasis on your behaviour?

1. this seems to be a perennial nerd question, right from back in the day. i wondered if the Shadow/hip-hop-inspired 'crate digging' culture would skew the market for records - while this seems to be true in terms of prices, the vinyl still seems to be out there (just not as often if you're after a 'name' tune that's been sampled). many of the people on this board seem to have had outstanding years for finding rare or interesting new discoveries. certainly for me it's been the best year for booting of the last few years.

couldn't agree more with what LJ said about vinyl cycling. it seems that much of the really collectable stuff goes through the hands of collectors and dealers all the time, with the occasional new copy turning up, being bought by someone who recognises it for what it is, and trades/sells on to members of that community who value it on that basis.

while, due to inevitable vinyl wear, the condition of these records is only going to decrease with time, it seems that roughly the same amount of vinyl is available and only slowly seems to be decreasing in volume (mostly thanks to various postal services by the sound of it&#33 then when a collector carks it or decides to cash in, their records go back into circulation and so the circle begins once more...

music is encoded onto the disc in a spiral too so we could get quite metaphysical about it if we were really bored.

2. yes
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Y'see Rich, without your reminder of the fact that there are records, out there right now, mere yards from my house that I can buy... I wouldn't know just what Eartha Kitt's version of 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' sounds like.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 23 2003,15:38)]some good points. seems that two questions are being asked here:
              1. are there enough/any more records out there waiting to be found?
              2. do records have a disproportionate emphasis on your behaviour?
              True, there are two points in there - to me they are 2. is dependent on 1., to some extent.

I used to worry that if I didn't bag everything immediately it's price would inevitably inflate and sooner or later it would soar out of reach (and I still pick things up if the price is sensible, then cheaper doubles are a bonus). But, those are the known bits. It's now dawned that new bits will always be unearthed and, with friendly sources (all you good people) there will always be great records at affordable prices, just maybe not the 'trophies'. So even if you don't dig for six months, a year, etc. there will still be plenty to find (although the wants list may need updating    ). I guess it's good to know that noone can ever know it all (can they?!?).

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 23 2003,16:10)]Y'see Rich, without your reminder of the fact that there are records, out there right now, mere yards from my house that I can buy... I wouldn't know just what Eartha Kitt's version of 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' sounds like.
                Either great or shite I suspect? I somehow don't expect that one to fall on the middle ground...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Dec. 23 2003,16:14)]
                  Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 23 2003,16:10)]Y'see Rich, without your reminder of the fact that there are records, out there right now, mere yards from my house that I can buy... I wouldn't know just what Eartha Kitt's version of 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' sounds like.
                  Either great or shite I suspect? I somehow don't expect that one to fall on the middle ground...
                  Oh certainly it does, just I'm not sure which it is right now....
                  Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]music is encoded onto the disc in a spiral too so we could get quite metaphysical about it if we were really bored.
                    Oops! Ed's getting a bit 'Uzumaki'!!

They missed an opportunity on the film really, could have had a death-by-vinyl moment, but chose a pissing washing machine instead. Pah.

Anyway, the way to avoid your life being dictated by your records is to sell or give away some of them, just to prove you can do it. If anyone wants to give me any records, that's fine and I'm here to help.

I too feel the paranoia of not going to a boot/fair and wondering what I could possibly have missed out on, but how far do you extrapolate that - do you want to sit having cold sweats because someone may be finding that copy of Moody with your name on it in a charity shop in Barrow-In-Furness, or a minty copy of Hymns A-Swingin' in a coal scuttle in Penzance? Chill out. You'll find what you're meant to find and there are plenty to go round. Even in the 'breaks' genre, folk unearth a bunch of new drum beats every year in what you'd assume was a finite field.

Be careful or it will stop being fun.

Benicio
                    Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Ive pretty much given up on the uk. I wont go out of my way hitting 10 charitiees in an area - or try and fit 3 booters in. Basically what I want isnt there and Ive scored more vv gear off you lot then any flamin booter!

Now I save my time researching on the net - investing it into building up my searches for my auction software and so on.

Also I really save my cash for utrecht now - I always walk away with so many good records and every time its always pretty good. Plus its so nice chilling with pokester and frenchies that venture up there. It really is a fun few days.

With all things music it all comes round again - when scat isnt the flavour of the month anymore the prices drop like a stone and I pick up the few pieces I need - same with ost's too. That 250 manu dibango lp will be 75 in a few years and right now the cdr does me just fine.
                      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Dec. 23 2003,16:10)]I wouldn&#39;t know just what Eartha Kitt&#39;s version of &#39;Hurdy Gurdy Man&#39; sounds like.
                        Her version of &#39;Wear Your Love Like Heaven&#39; is a whole lot better.

Comment

This is an interesting Thread (especially if you&#39;re stuck in an empty office like me working on your yearly appraisal).

To answer the original question, I think there are more than enough records to go round. Over the next few years the number of vinyl collectors will remain static or reduce whilst the number of records that will enter the market will increase. With all the new technology available only a dedicated few will continue to collect vinyl. The reason I started collecting was because I didn&#39;t have the money to buy new records and spending 25p on a James Brown 7&quot; seemed like a good deal. Why would a 13yr with no money start collecting originals when he could go on the internet and get some of the greatest music ever made for next to nothing?
                          records - one a week mixcloud
                          records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Dec. 29 2003,12:20)]Why would a 13yr with no money start collecting originals when he could go on the internet and get some of the greatest music ever made for next to nothing?
                            good point... also many aspiring kiddie DJs seem to be burning CDRs (often of these MP3s) to play out, or using iPods etc, so that&#39;s another collector market disappearing...

like Sermad I&#39;ve given up on charity digging in the South East. waste of time unless you can be there 24/7. the booters, however, still seem to yield amazing stuff and the record shops themselves can&#39;t keep up with the million different scenes and all their tiny peaks of supply and demand, so there&#39;s always something to be found.

like LBG says, there is ALWAYS quality music being produced somewhere by someone, regardless of when it&#39;s released, so when you&#39;re all bored of that early 70s sound then there&#39;ll be something else to look for. our kids - if they (unwisely) inherit a love of vinyl - will probably all be chasing something we&#39;re currently sleeping on, like New York electroclash/nu-metal/ska punk crossover and will think we&#39;re a bunch of retards for missing out on it first time around.

oh, and on a festive note, i was nattering to my dad (a jazz nut) over Xmas about Don Rendell and Ian Carr. he was saying how they were regarded as absolutely the best players on the UK jazz scene, and everyone who was seriously into jazz in the 60s really rated them. so i asked if he&#39;d bought any of the albums (pause for effect)...

&#39;think i had them on tape somewhere...&#39;

damn&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (theeman @ Dec. 29 2003,12:37)]like Sermad I&#39;ve given up on charity digging in the South East. waste of time unless you can be there 24/7.
                              it&#39;s worth mentioning that the reason there are no decent records in South East charities posts to this board regularly&#33;

Comment

Working...
                              X