Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ownership! (Beaver Holdout Comp Related)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership! (Beaver Holdout Comp Related)

In my weekly visit to the colonies (soulstrut) i noticed a rather unsavoury beef regarding Beaver's fine selection of records posted up for general consumption on there (and here and elsewhere), the upshot seemed to be an accusation that due to the fact some people over there had heard a few of the tracks played by Dante Carfagna on a radio show that they were somehow "his" & beaver's compilation was tantamount to the hip hop crime of "biting"......

the general gist for people not down like me is that Beaver was trying to take credit for records that someone else had put the work in finding.

Pete has nothing to prove, the fact that the Dorando track was on there told me that this wasn't supposed to be 100% unheard excavated gems (though i only knew 2 of the tracks) and i certainly didn't get the impression that he was trying to stick a flag in them and claim ownership. It was a brilliant selection of very hard to find music given freely in the spirit of musical evangelism... so why the salty reception from some of the soulstrut guys?

is it anything to do with the hip hop background that the forum is based on?

I DJ with Adam & sometimes Mahood (2 uk record guys mentioned in the soulstrut thread) every month and they find & play "unknown" stuff that drops my jaw constantly, if they sell a record to a bigger name DJ who then plays it on a radio show does this transfer ownership to the person who bought it? did they even have ownership in the first place? is it all just record bullshit?

Anyway the strut thread's a fine example of looking a gift horse in the mouth and also shows a strange disdain for uk dealers & collectors, maybe they're still pissed off at losing all that expensive northern & funk to these shores for pence in those soul packs back in the day and having to buy em back for top dollar in the 90s

What are your thoughts on ownership & signature tunes, is it just DJs who get like this or collectors as well?

everyone get's hipped to stuff by somebody, my taste is constantly influenced by friends, internet, crasy dudes with ginger combovers who know i like fuzzy guitar records.. where does the tail end?

people obviously care about this subject, what say the vultures?

Ownership. What the hell is this? Music is for sharing. Snobbish twats if you ask me.
    A Sound Awareness

Comment

I think that is fucking hilarious

nobody 'owns' these records and nobody should give a toss as to who found/rediscovered them

let's talk about that 'chains/blackexhaust' thing for starters, there's 45s on that comp that we were playing out in our Norwich club 1990-94.....so fucking what? who cares?

props to the likes of Beaver et al who happily share their collection

but what do I know, I'm a 'biter' apparently

in fact, most vultures/record collectors/yoyostruttaz I know would be termed as 'biters'

I'll shed some unsavoury beef the way of Beaver for wanting to share with the baggypantyoyocrowd in the first place

bite me with your mega bytes computer hiphop numpties who said 'word' and things
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

The only person who can claim to 'own' a tune is the person who wrote the bloody thing. Ok, maybe their publisher, if we're to get pedantic about it.

Plucking something from relative obscurity does not mean you 'own' it.

This is the side of the vinyl game that I don't like.

Comment

Originally posted by el sporto View Post
          Ownership. What the hell is this? Music is for sharing. Snobbish twats if you ask me.
          people take it very seriously, getting a reputation as a dealer and or a dj on a weird scene can be all about playing new finds, it's a very thin line between playing exciting new sounds & a twatty stench of elitism

the northern soul cover up.....

Comment

.....as the record said. [once again]

Yeah, I'm losing my edge.
            I'm losing my edge.
            The kids are coming up from behind.
            I'm losing my edge.
            I'm losing my edge to the kids from France and from London.
            But I was there.

I was there in 1968.
            I was there at the first Can show in Cologne.
            I'm losing my edge.
            I'm losing my edge to the kids whose footsteps I hear when they get on the decks.
            I'm losing my edge to the Internet seekers who can tell me every member of every good group from 1962 to 1978.
            I'm losing my edge.

To all the kids in Tokyo and Berlin.
            I'm losing my edge to the art-school Brooklynites in little jackets and borrowed nostalgia for the unremembered eighties.

But I'm losing my edge.
            I'm losing my edge, but I was there.
            I was there.
            But I was there.

I'm losing my edge.
            I'm losing my edge.
            I can hear the footsteps every night on the decks.
            But I was there.
            I was there in 1974 at the first Suicide practices in a loft in New York City.
            I was working on the organ sounds with much patience.
            I was there when Captain Beefheart started up his first band.
            I told him, "Don't do it that way. You'll never make a dime."
            I was there.
            I was the first guy playing Daft Punk to the rock kids.
            I played it at CBGB's.
            Everybody thought I was crazy.
            We all know.
            I was there.
            I was there.
            I've never been wrong.

I used to work in the record store.
            I had everything before anyone.
            I was there in the Paradise Garage DJ booth with Larry Levan.
            I was there in Jamaica during the great sound clashes.
            I woke up naked on the beach in Ibiza in 1988.

But I'm losing my edge to better-looking people with better ideas and more talent.
            And they're actually really, really nice.

I'm losing my edge.

I heard you have a compilation of every good song ever done by anybody. Every great song by the Beach Boys. All the underground hits. All the Modern Lovers tracks. I heard you have a vinyl of every Niagra record on German import. I heard that you have a white label of every seminal Detroit techno hit - 1985, '86, '87. I heard that you have a CD compilation of every good '60s cut and another box set from the '70s.

I hear you're buying a synthesizer and an arpeggiator and are throwing your computer out the window because you want to make something real. You want to make a Yaz record.

I hear that you and your band have sold your guitars and bought turntables.
            I hear that you and your band have sold your turntables and bought guitars.

I hear everybody that you know is more relevant than everybody that I know.

But have you seen my records? This Heat, Pere Ubu, Outsiders, Nation of Ulysses, Mars, The Trojans, The Black Dice, Todd Terry, the Germs, Section 25, Althea and Donna, Sexual Harrassment, a-ha, Pere Ubu, Dorothy Ashby, PIL, the Fania All-Stars, the Bar-Kays, the Human League, the Normal, Lou Reed, Scott Walker, Monks, Niagra,

Joy Division, Lower 48, the Association, Sun Ra,
            Scientists, Royal Trux, 10cc,

Eric B. and Rakim, Index, Basic Channel, Soulsonic Force ("just hit me"!), Juan Atkins, David Axelrod, Electric Prunes, Gil! Scott! Heron!, the Slits, Faust, Mantronix, Pharaoh Sanders and the Fire Engines, the Swans, the Soft Cell, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics, the Sonics.

You don't know what you really want. (x15)
            A Sound Awareness

Comment

.....mind you I lost my edge years ago. Now where is that that Perez Prado record?
              A Sound Awareness

Comment

Kids nowadays eh
                Er no you don't own it, now hopalong and write a tune of your own
                some times play g+ with back noise,some times vg , super psyché juju lpfront sleeve is very nice vg back vg , but the top corne left is eating buy rats, ask for picture

Comment

Strikesie:
                  DJs uz o' noo import wha'soewer.
                  Why yew debasin' yersell by gittin' wark'd-oop ower nuffink?

Comment

.....my god I actually agree with Wallace.
                    A Sound Awareness

Comment

Originally posted by wallace View Post
                      Strikesie:
                      DJs uz o' noo import wha'soewer.
                      Why yew debasin' yersell by gittin' wark'd-oop ower nuffink?
                      I'm not getting worked up i just think it's an interesting (& slightly confusing) side of things, By all accounts Wallace you're quite a heavy collector do you notice attitudes like this in the collecting world, ie dealers digging up copies of a record, hyping it a bit and then being deemed to have discovered it and revelling in the glory of being THE MASTER OF RECORDS?

Comment

Ownership and Discovery, what a load of bollocks, I thought it was a good CD, don't really give a fuck either way really, it was more the Homage to Dante that got me??

Comment

So to put this in terms that a boring old square like me would understand, is this the equivalent of a load of TOGs having a go at someone on their forum for putting Katie Melua on a compilation CD because Terry Wogan played her record first?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post
                            So to put this in terms that a boring old square like me would understand, is this the equivalent of a load of TOGs having a go at someone on their forum for putting Katie Melua on a compilation CD because Terry Wogan played her record first?
                            Oi! Don't diss the Wogan

Comment

Thing is Drew sent me a link to a mix he did in a PM apologising for getting out of hand, and it featured things that were pretty common and I've had in my collection for years, The Impressions, Honey & The Bees, Byrdie Green, The Imperial Wonders, Lee Moses, not exactly unknown ownership groundbreaking records, are they?

1. Down to Earth - Forgive Me If I Cry (Intro)
                              2. Imperial Wonders - Trying To Get To You
                              3. Honey and the Bees - Together Forever
                              4. The Charmels - Please Uncle Sam
                              5. Byrdie Green - Don't Make It Hurt
                              6. The Voice Masters - In Love In Vain
                              7. Hallelujah Chorus - I've Got To Find A Way
                              8. Lee Moses - Don't Make Me What You Don't Want Me To Be
                              9. The Impressions - Emotions
                              10. The Festivals - So In Love
                              11. The Thompsons - Love In Her Eyes

I'm off to grab my baseball cap and shovel to get down to some REAL diggin', OK homies

Comment

Working...
                              X