Johnny truck is the guide's club pick of the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnny truck is the guide's club pick of the week

Purveyors of the cutting edge sound that's always found first in London could do worse than checking out the diesel tinged sound of Johnny Truck of Resonance FM fame at Cargo this Tuesday - the number one choice of club happenings this week according to the bible for all cool dads out there, the Guardian Guide. Truck can usually be found delivering harardous materials on time, up and down the country, sometimes in Europe too. After shifting down the gears, having racked up too many miles to legally drive radioactive waste around, Truck likes while away the mandatory rest period of eight hours by spinning 'on the road' classics to a funky fresh irony crowd, like "Road To Hell" or "Convoy"...

Anyway, don't thank me for the head's up, thank The Guide, whom without I never would have seen Sharon Stone strutting around in leather pants and an afro wig last year.
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

I'm listening to Mr Truck's show right now. I've always enjoyed that and his 'Truck' record label. Apparently they're reissuing the 'Convoy' soundtrack sometime this year. Great stuff.

Comment

Excellent news. Hopefully Spielberg's early truck-based thriller 'Duel' will get a reissue too. Not to mention my personal fave film featuring a truck-danger interface, 'Wages of Fear'. Other films featuring ace truck action scenes include '3 Kings', wherein an unlikely trio of past it rapper Ice cube, sexy doc George Clooney and Marky Mark of 'Funky Bunch' fame shoot up a truck full of milk, which falls over and spills all over the floor; one of the Terminator films, maybe the second one; and Speed, featuring a bus which can't stop.  

Comment

The show that's on after Johnny Truck's had the recently reissued Birds 'N' Brass single 'Sort Of Soul' as a sort of intro tune this week. Not sure if that's a regular occurrence.

Comment

The only way true afficianados listen to Johnny Truck's show...

And in a laidback and slightly behind the times way that I'm sure George and Bones would appreciate, this weekend's Guide quoted one of their reviews of Sharon Jones And The Dap King's LP. From Big Daddy. I tried to Google the quote but I could only find the following using 'Guardian Guide "Sharon Jones"'.

Sharon Jones, who over the eight years had built up her florists' shop into a thriving business, was equally unhappy. She said: "It's going to be terrible for us. People won't pay an extra £5 to come and buy their flowers here."

Sharon's Florists will also be heavily hit by having to pay to cross the river into central London. "We deliver a lot of flowers into the West End and into the City. We can't suddenly start charging an extra £5. This will finish small businesses around here."

Hopefully a thumbs up from the Grauniad will mean her days of selling flowers will soon be a thing of the past.
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Oops, just realised I should've Googled 'Guardian Guide "Sharon Stone"'. Silly me.
            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (fin @ Jan. 04 2004,00:51)]Excellent news. Hopefully Spielberg's early truck-based thriller 'Duel' will get a reissue too. Not to mention my personal fave film featuring a truck-danger interface, 'Wages of Fear'. Other films featuring ace truck action scenes include '3 Kings', wherein an unlikely trio of past it rapper Ice cube, sexy doc George Clooney and Marky Mark of 'Funky Bunch' fame shoot up a truck full of milk, which falls over and spills all over the floor; one of the Terminator films, maybe the second one; and Speed, featuring a bus which can't stop.  
              Or the "based on a terrifying Stephen King short story" jammy where a comet makes all the machines rebel against their human masters. And then 20 minutes into it they forget all about the electric knives and ride on lawnmowers and robot tennis ball servers and stuff and decide that's what's REALLY scary is big trucks, and it becomes just about big trucks trying to kill people.

You know, I wish I could remember what that movie was called.

Comment

Maximum Overdrive you fools. You have got to love the Master Evil Truck with the green plastic goblin head on the front, Evil Stuff, AC/DC did the soundtrack if my memory serves me right

Comment

Kewl!
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (motherfunk @ Jan. 10 2004,10:23)]Maximum Overdrive you fools. You have got to love the Master Evil Truck with the green plastic goblin head on the front, Evil Stuff, AC/DC did the soundtrack if my memory serves me right
                    Yeah, boy-ee!

Now I remember. And it wasn't King's screenplay, it was his
                    debut as a director.

In the end they escape on a boat which doesn't want to kill them because it runs on SAIL POWER and remains a friend to mankind.

Shit is seriously entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                    X