Whatever happened to.....?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to.....?

Prompted by the recent thread on 'VV Classics That You Would Pay Proper Money For' and also cos I recently turned up a copy of Soft Rock 'Invention', my first in aaaaaaaaaaaages. I had several copies once upon a time but let them go cos I thought it was pretty easy to turn up. And it's taken years to find this one! Lesson learned eh?

Was wondering, what VV Classics did you used to see in relative abundance, but nowadays they've just seemingly vanished?! It's kind of like plotting what still turns up where (like there's any rationale for that!), but e.g. I remember about 5yrs back finding several copies of 'Hanged Man' in a few months and then not one since.

I'm not necessarily on about the jewels in the crown (i.e. Moody or Suite London), more those you got accustomed to turning up via recognition through this site etc., and now you can't get a sniff.

Do you yearn to see 'Voodoo Party' turn up just once more on your manor? Has 'Bang On A Drum' disappeared into Brian Cant's potting shed? Would finding 'Movements' again trigger a wave of nostalgia?

Am just curious.
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

I went through a stage where I kept turning up copies of Johnny Keating Space Experience, but I havent seen one for 5 or 6 years now.. It was one of the first records I found in a charity that I thought was a keeper.....
    the monkey speaks his mind

Comment

Good question Ben.

I've not found a 'Two Generations' in a couple of years and it seemed like I used to turn one up every month or so for a while.
      I also used to find a 'Trouble Spot' LP on just about every major digging trip - not seen one for ages.
      Most of the decent Studio 2 Stereo titles seemed to have dried up (although admittedly they were never that common) and not even seen a 'Stereo Sounds to Spoil You' for a while and it got to the point I was leaving that behind.

Still see plently 'Hammond Golds' out there but I'm over that now
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

I used to see The Jumping Jacques "Sugar And Spice" around all the time - there was one languishing in Reckless at 4.99 that they couldn't shift.
        "Trouble Spot" and "Space Experience" still seem to turn up in Lahndahan a fair bit. Found the latter in a chazzer a few months ago for pence.
        Drastically reduced to 72p

Comment

'Tijuana - Sound of Brass' was a staple of my early charity shop days - in 1995 every charity shop was required by law to have at least three copies. Now I get a nice nostalgic glow when one turns up.

Dunno where people have been seeing all these copies of 'Two Generations', though - I never saw one for years, found two copies in the space of seven days about a year ago, then nada ever since!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Thames View Post

Dunno where people have been seeing all these copies of 'Two Generations', though - I never saw one for years, found two copies in the space of seven days about a year ago, then nada ever since!
            yeah, never found one of these myself either
            http://soundcloud.com/benjaminhatton

http://mixcloud.com/benjaminhatton

Comment

Originally posted by Mang View Post
              I used to see The Jumping Jacques "Sugar And Spice" around all the time.
              Picked one of these up at the weekend - I believe it's the only time I've ever seen it!
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Ive not seen much of "this is james last" recently or the "easy Listening" comp but i supose thats because it now contains SUPERILLRARERBREAKS!! since that lupe fasco (or whatever his name is) sampled it (not to mention the people before him). As for Studio 2 Stereo one of the reasons i started collecting them is because i used to see them a lot. Now i get the occasional brass band or classical one but rarely see a decent one, i wouldnt even mind a Frank Porcell or Manuell..
                Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Muench View Post
                  Ive not seen much of "this is james last" recently or the "easy Listening" comp but i supose thats because it now contains SUPERILLRARERBREAKS!! since that lupe fasco (or whatever his name is) sampled it (not to mention the people before him). As for Studio 2 Stereo one of the reasons i started collecting them is because i used to see them a lot. Now i get the occasional brass band or classical one but rarely see a decent one, i wouldnt even mind a Frank Porcell or Manuell..
                  I've seen a few of the 'Easy Listening' comp recently - I don't bother picking them up, should I?

Comment

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
                    I've seen a few of the 'Easy Listening' comp recently - I don't bother picking them up, should I?
                    Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only. The A-Z of Easy listening is slightly better and has a couple of ok-ish tracks on it. I like the Philips ones, think there called nice and easy or somthing like that, but they have a few Chaquito and Ray Davies tracks on. I still see plenty of them.
                    Now celebrating over 1000 posts of nonsense.....
                    www.facebook.com/mindtrekers
                    www.soundcloud.com/mr-munch

Comment

Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only.
                      That's what I thought - I was just curious whether the LP was back 'in demand' once more if it's recently been sampled again. I remember there was a time when people (without access to UK charity shops) were paying multiple pounds for the album, but I assumed that time had long passed

Comment

since that lupe fasco (or whatever his name is) sampled it (not to mention the people before him).
                        I'm sure he actually sampled the imonster track that sampled it, then got them in to produce it.
                        I'll tell you what............. What.
                        What ?

Comment

Those two Christian MFP albums with the breaks - "Power & the Glory" and "New Freedom Singers" used to be everywhere. I saw a MINTY New Freedom Singers yesterday and, indeed, it got me thinking I hadn't seen one for a while. I managed to resist the urge, and the quid stayed in my pocket...

...did find two copies of the Cleo Laine "Portrait" LP in the one shop, mind. Never found Night Owl in the wild before. Mind you, I had it already - so not really a major buzz. Not that owl's buzz.

I think the long and short of this thread is - there aren't the abundance of ANY records in charity shops. I blame the volunteers who price stuff up, and no doubt bin the Hammond Golds. So many shops don't have 7"s at all - makes me very suspicious...
                          Club stuff: www.facebook.com/DivineGlasgow

Mixes: https://m.mixcloud.com/andrewdivine54/

Comment

Only got one decent track which is "Daydream" the rest is pants. pence only. The A-Z of Easy listening is slightly better and has a couple of ok-ish tracks on it. I like the Philips ones, think there called nice and easy or somthing like that, but they have a few Chaquito and Ray Davies tracks on. I still see plenty of them.

I have it and yes Daydream is ACE but I think it also has Z. Helmuts version of 'Light My Fire' which is excellent too...I might be wrong...but I'm sure it's on that comp.

This turns up every where in Hull for £1...usually a bit battered though.
                            I have a very particular set of skills...

http://www.paybacksoulfunkjazz.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Divine One View Post

Not that owl's buzz.
                              are you on the buckfast again?

Comment

Working...
                              X