No announcement yet.

Sheffield, the shops that matter......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield, the shops that matter......

Could anybody help me with some knowledge of record stores/charities in Sheffield, as i'm up for a quick family visit over the weekend.
    Any help or reccomendations would be much appreciated as i'ts been about 23 years since me last visit!. And i'm sure that the locale has changed since then somewhat.
    Cheers.
    derelicts of dialect

Hello!

Ok, here is my guide to the Sheffield spots:

'Reflex Records' (Union St) - HTFR type store with loads of DJ gear and bomber-jacket clad skinhead youths (and that's just the ladies) listening to god-knows-what on the decks. However, they do have quite a good stock of 12"/LP records in the fields of breaks & beats, hip hop, soul etc. There's a load of stuff on shelves right at the back of the shop when you walk in, and a downstairs section holds the hip hop section and listening decks with speakers. Can certainly turn up a rarity or long sought-after 12", but prices are set to the higher end of the scale.  

'Spin City' (Westfield Terrace, off Devonshire St) - across the board 2nd-hand gear, fair bit of stock out and very helpful bloke/wife of bloke. Funk/Northern 45 boxes behind counter, generally a lot of 7"s to look through. Unfortunately the stock turn over is not often, but you can almost always find something of interest, and there's a listening deck on hand to guide you as well.

'Jacks' (Devonshire St) - small 2nd-hander just off the road in a complex of units called 'Alexander Court'. Never much heat in my experience, but you never know..

'Vinyl Vault' (Devonshire St) - another small seller above a gift shop called 'Enchanted Garden'. Not always (lately never) open, has a lot of MOR pop/rock stuff, but could provide a gem or two.

'Rare 'n' Racy' (Devonshire St) - 2nd hand book/record store with quite good jazz section, also soundtracks, world music and soul/reggae sections worth a look. Again, stock turnover is an issue here though.

'Record Collector' (Broomhill) - Definitely one to try and hit if you can. Long-running 2nd-hand store with loads of stock which is added to every week, who've been having a mad sale for almost a year now - currently 75% of all stock. Can't say fairer than those rates!

On the same road as Record Collector there's a Help The Aged which is a book/record store, quite a lot of records to look through but the stock hasn't been turning over too much of late. Have found quite a few good bits and pieces here before though. There's also an Oxfam which is worth a look, but as usual the prices tend to raise an eyebrow (I guarantee that copy of 'Law Beat' will still be gathering dust at £9.99). There's a couple more charities nearby that might be worth a look, but generally not as worthwhile as the ones I've mentioned.

Out of town there's a shop called Forever Changes (Ecclesall Rd) which is another 2nd hander, lots of stock out but unfortunately rarely lives up to its name! But can turn up a treat now and again.. probably not worth the bother though too be honest.

Pretty sure that's about all you need to know. Drop me a PM if you fancy meeting up for a or just a bit of guidance. It'd be great to put a face to the name. Other than old Alan Partridge of course!

Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

I might be in Sheffield myself Saturday. Although vinyl might have to take a back seat to catching up with one of the best-looking girls I know (who is back from Australia for Christmas/New Year).

If you see a short-arsed blond lad with a black Silas parka and a big black Es rucksack, blue and yellow Es trainers - walking along with a tall, pretty, Polish-looking girl that'll be me and Rachel.

Like Vibra says, Record Collector is great. Student heaven up in Broomhill though, so if you have Paul Calf tendencies, you'll get irritated!

I heard something about a shop over in Crookes, maybe another Help The Aged books'n'records thing, is that right?

Benicio
      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Jan. 08 2004,11:18)]I heard something about a shop over in Crookes, maybe another Help The Aged books'n'records thing, is that right?
        That'll be the St Luke's Hospice then. Not a books 'n' records thing, they sell everything, including loads of furniture. Quite a lot of records to look through, and can sometimes turn up the treats. There's a few other charities in the vicinity too, so worth a look if you're up for going out of town. It'd be nice to hook up with you sometime Ben.

Comment

I have the opportunity to travel to Sheffield quite often and when I am not being dragged around T J Hughes I'll have a dig around.

I've met Vibra twice now through chance, once outside Spin City and an even weirder second occasion in a charity shop in Rotherham. I did not recognise him as he was sporting a fetching beard - he was starting at the right hand side of a large pile of records and I at the left. I don't know whether you have been in this situation and end up flicking furiously through records in a sad attempt to cultivate as much as possible before anyone else? We eventually crossed over - you get an idea after a while what fellow diggers look like so I asked him what he was looking for. (I've done this before and ended up meeting James Wool pre Deep funk in a Autistic shop) He replied, as I would, saying 'anything' but I did get out of him that he produced and DJ'd. It was then it clicked we had met before, hopefully next time I travel to Sheffield Vibra we will have to hook up for a drink and a proper chat.

As for record hunting spots in Sheffield I recommend the Monday morning Flea market (I think it still runs) I've found a few things there including a Hanged Man. (that is by Bullet and not some suicide victim)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (veris @ Jan. 08 2004,12:30)]hopefully next time I travel to Sheffield Vibra we will have to hook up for a drink and a proper chat.

As for record hunting spots in Sheffield I recommend the Monday morning Flea market (I think it still runs) I've found a few things there including a Hanged Man. (that is by Bullet and not some suicide victim)
            Definitely - that 2nd chance meeting was so unlikely it was hilarious! And we should talk more about a gig swap as well - let's spread that funk love.

I've always known about the existence of the flea market, but I've never known exactly where or when etc.. is it near Castle Market? I do know that you're not the first person to have found a Bullet LP there.

Comment

The Flea Market used to be outside the Castle Market and used to extend across the road to the outside of Co op and Oxfam shops. Not quite sure what the road is called, do you know where I mean?

Things may have changed since the last time I visited as they have started to redevelop parts of the Market. I hope this is some sort of help.

As for the gig swap I'm sure Left Hand Corner will agree it is a great idea. Speak to you soon.

Comment

Working...
              X