X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ Jan. 08 2004,21:18)]+ Has any one ever found Del Richardson LP, Ive only ever seen it listed once & once on Ebay??? Want that LP
    Towny has had one of these for donkeys years, but as he's majorly loved up at present I doubt you'll be hearing his opinion on it.

He pointed it out for me to buy in Norwich ages ago, but I got caught up getting other things and forgot.

A few years later I saw it for a far whack (well £60) on a list

As I recall its got a hippyish colour drawing on the front cover and the track Towny played me was very nice. Infact I think he included it on his Black Cabs CD, but he'll have to confirm that.

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Jan. 09 2004,10:26)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Jan. 09 2004,09:19)]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...27349&rd=1

Talking of the Mansfiled fella, this is one of my faves from way back - it's the B-side that does it.  Massive blue-eyed soul cut with brass and hammond a plenty (sounding suspiciously like the hawk?)
    That's going for mad money surely, I only got my copy about 5 years ago (£25).  They were Gene Latter's backing group apparently.
    Last minty UK demo I saw went for about £60/70 odd a few months ago...so I was shocked at the latest "value".

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Jan. 08 2004,22:07)]I don't know about 'El Dopah' but 'House Of Jack' started out life as a KPM track called 'Funky Fanfare', then Keith turned it into 'Soul Thing' for his 'All You Need Is...' LP and then did a vocal version with James Royal which is 'House Of Jack'. There's also another different vocal version by Paul 'Gary Glitter' Raven, a straight cover by Tony Newman and Arzachel's 'Queen Street Gang'. I stole most of that info from bootleg comps btw. Are there any more versions of 'Soul Thing' out there?
    There's also a cover by some west coast band from the early 90's (I think?) on a psych revival tip, that I remember Googling once. Never heard it though...

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Jan. 09 2004,09:19)]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...27349&rd=1

Talking of the Mansfiled fella, this is one of my faves from way back - it's the B-side that does it.  Massive blue-eyed soul cut with brass and hammond a plenty (sounding suspiciously like the hawk?)
    That's going for mad money surely, I only got my copy about 5 years ago (£25). They were Gene Latter's backing group apparently.

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...27349&rd=1

Talking of the Mansfiled fella, this is one of my faves from way back - it's the B-side that does it. Massive blue-eyed soul cut with brass and hammond a plenty (sounding suspiciously like the hawk?)

Leave a comment:

• bongolia
    replied
    seeing Tony Newman mentioned reminds me - i went to Blow Up the other day and Ian played a great version of The Age of Aquarius that i'm sure he said was by Tony Newman, but Mr Google doesn't seem to know it... have forgotten the name of the label, but i think it was pale blue, if that's a help!

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]er...isn't that 'L-Dopa' by Mansfield and Maynard Ferguson?
    Which is loosely based on (I think) "Powerhouse Pop" of KPM fame.

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ Jan. 08 2004,21:18)]+ Has any one ever found Del Richardson LP, Ive only ever seen it listed once & once on Ebay??? Want that LP
    I've never seen one and I've been looking for a while now. Can I put myself in the queue when llmod1 finds a whole bunch in a charity shop next month?

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Jan. 08 2004,21:59)]While we're on the subject of Mr Mansfield. I got a High School LP through the post a few days back which has got a track called El Dopah credited to K Mansfield. I definitely know the track and am pretty sure its off one of the KPM libraries, I could be wrong though. Does the title ring a bell with anyone?
    er...isn't that 'L-Dopa' by Mansfield and Maynard Ferguson?

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    I don't know about 'El Dopah' but 'House Of Jack' started out life as a KPM track called 'Funky Fanfare', then Keith turned it into 'Soul Thing' for his 'All You Need Is...' LP and then did a vocal version with James Royal which is 'House Of Jack'. There's also another different vocal version by Paul 'Gary Glitter' Raven, a straight cover by Tony Newman and Arzachel's 'Queen Street Gang'. I stole most of that info from bootleg comps btw. Are there any more versions of 'Soul Thing' out there?

Leave a comment:

• llmod1
    replied
    While we're on the subject of Mr Mansfield. I got a High School LP through the post a few days back which has got a track called El Dopah credited to K Mansfield. I definitely know the track and am pretty sure its off one of the KPM libraries, I could be wrong though. Does the title ring a bell with anyone?

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (BoneyVotel @ Jan. 08 2004,21:18)]In with my digs today I gotta demo 45 by James Royal. The kinda deep soul A side is arranged by Keith Mansfield the B side being a decent Van McCoy cover "Ive Lost You". It's from '69 on CBS.
    Any one know if his other stuff is any good?? (James Royal that is & not Keith M)
    + Has any one ever found Del Richardson LP, Ive only ever seen it listed once & once on Ebay??? Want that LP
    James Royal, on the whole, is superb. Lots of powerful blue-eyed soul & beat recordings (but also a fair amount of inept ballads too).
    His 'House Of Jack' is one of the best versions I've heard. Same goes for his version of 'You Better Run'.
    Mansfield has credits on most of his stuff (CBS y'see).
    His LPs are also quite valuable so keep a look-out for em!

Leave a comment:

• BoneyVotel
    started a topic Keith mansfield arranged 45.

Keith mansfield arranged 45.

In with my digs today I gotta demo 45 by James Royal. The kinda deep soul A side is arranged by Keith Mansfield the B side being a decent Van McCoy cover "Ive Lost You". It's from '69 on CBS.
    Any one know if his other stuff is any good?? (James Royal that is & not Keith M)
    + Has any one ever found Del Richardson LP, Ive only ever seen it listed once & once on Ebay??? Want that LP
Working...
X