I've been after this music for 18 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been after this music for 18 years

back in the pre certifcation video days when you could go into your local video shop and hire texas chainsaw massacre, evil dead, i spit on your grave and other great films before they were withdrawn/banned, i stumbled upon a little known vietnam war film called 'how sleep the brave' which has become one of my favourite films, now to the music, there is a piece of music used on this film which i love and i've been trying to track it down for about 18 years, the music wasn't listed on the end credits & because the film is low budget it wasn't listed in many film guides, so i couldn't find out who the music was performed by, then some years later i watched another great film, 'the witchfinder general' and to my amazement the same piece of music was used in this film, great news for me, 'witchfinder' being a better known film gives me more of a chance of tracking this music down, a few years passed and i must have forgot about the music until i saw a 7" from the film 'witchfinder general' i purchased said 7" and bingo! it was the piece of music i've been after all these years, it's by the roberto mann orchestra, it's title is 'love theme from witchfinder general' and it's a great classical/orchestral piece of music (sorry nothing funky about it at all), now here's the bit the vinyl vultures will like, although the record is on decca, i noticed that also written on the label is 'de wolfe', so does anyone know which de wolfe lp this comes from (i wouldn't mind that as well.), the 7" is dated 1968, the writing credit is 'ferris', that's all the info i have, i'm sure somebody can help.

cheers happy monster.
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

it's always a great great moment when you find something you've been looking for, for ages. i have a list of unidentified pieces of music as long as my arm! very pleased for you, HM!

anyway, i don't know which dewolfe library that piece comes from - i don't have any roberto mann stuff on dewolfe (the only things i have by him are on decca).

it might not actually be from a dewolfe library - remember that dewolfe (as kpm and other libraries) did a nice line in publishing, so maybe it was simply published by them, but not part of their library catalogue.

Comment

Paul Ferris was credited as composer on 'Witchfinder General', which points at the score being specially composed - so how it ended up on 'How Sleep The Brave' I've no idea.

The only thing I can think of is that Ferris wrote the track for 'Witchfinder', and the publisher later put it into their library catalogue. It's not that common over here, but a few Eastern European film soundtracks ended up getting repackaged as library tracks on this side of the Iron Curtain, and the BMG library are currently recycling old Italian soundtracks in an excellent series of CDs. I know there's also a de Wolfe LP which has a track called 'The Inspector Rose Theme' on it, which was the theme to the TV series 'Mr Rose Investigates' (and later covered by Roy Budd), so there may be a precedent here.

All of which is, of course, just me speculating, and may have no basis in fact whatsoever!

Comment

Hi there.

I think i know which piece your after. The main theme is played in various versions and the scene where Ian Ogilvy and the lovely leading actress are making love on the bed is featured on the De Wolfe lp SYNTHESIS. I was literally blown away when I first discovered this one morning. I am willing to trade this lp for another library lp.
        Witchfinder general is my ultimate fave film. I have the lp in storage at the moment but if you want more info I'll gladly pull it out of storage.

Cheers,
        David
        God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Jan. 10 2004,18:10)]Paul Ferris was credited as composer on 'Witchfinder General', which points at the score being specially composed - so how it ended up on 'How Sleep The Brave' I've no idea.

The only thing I can think of is that Ferris wrote the track for 'Witchfinder', and the publisher later put it into their library catalogue. It's not that common over here, but a few Eastern European film soundtracks ended up getting repackaged as library tracks on this side of the Iron Curtain, and the BMG library are currently recycling old Italian soundtracks in an excellent series of CDs. I know there's also a de Wolfe LP which has a track called 'The Inspector Rose Theme' on it, which was the theme to the TV series 'Mr Rose Investigates' (and later covered by Roy Budd), so there may be a precedent here.

All of which is, of course, just me speculating, and may have no basis in fact whatsoever!
          An alternative explanation is that they simply pinched the music. Not uncommon with b-movies (particularly Hong Kong ones).

A big holler for everyone out there who's spotted Billy Cobham "Crosswinds" on THE NINJA STRIKES BACK or large chunks of the Star Trek II soundtrack on MARTIAL MONKS OF THE SHAOLIN TEMPLE.

Comment

Okay then.
            The track I am talking about is called "peaceful interlude" which is credited to P. Ferris (romantic, wistful - guitar feature) and is off the De Wolfe lp
            SYNTHESIS - Music for Strings DW/LP 3234
            Its the only track by Ferris but the lp also has two tracks credited to B. Moore!!

David
            God bless Fatso.

Comment

Working...
            X