The first record you ever bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first record you ever bought

Something someone said in another post got me thinking about this...

What was the first record you ever bought?

Play school grooves such as Pinky and Perky and The "Jungle Book" don't count. I'm talking about that adolescent moment when you say to yourself, "This is what I am. This is how I define myself. This is what I am gonna spend my Christmas record token on..."

Ahem.... mine was ELP's prog-tasmagorical "Tarkus"
    Endless Tripe

It was either Gino or Purple Rain. First LP was a Pink Floyd one, with Careful Of That Axe, Eugene on it, but that was a complete fluke - no one knows what the fuck they're doing or is capable of intelligent, rational decisions until they're at least 21. Or early 30s in Ed's case.
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

It was either 'Hersham Boys' by Sham 69 or The Charlie Daniels Band's 'The Devil Went Down To Georgia' (can't remember which one was first, from Sperrings in Woolston, Southampton.

The first LP I bought I think was Wham!'s 'Fantastic'.
      Matt Hero

Comment

Something by Big Country (probably the self titled one). But I think it was on tape. My sister had bought me 'The Seer' for my birthday just previously.
        You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

'Our House' by Madness, from one of those newsagent stands of cheapie 45s.. remember them?
          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (vibra @ Jan. 13 2004,13:26)]'Our House' by Madness, from one of those newsagent stands of cheapie 45s.. remember them?  
            Yup, I used to go without lunch so I could buy ex chart 45s from Finlays Newsagents (Palmerston Rd North, Southsea fact fans) on the way to school. And yes I do know where I bought each and every record I own
            Matt Hero

Comment

45 was either Bowie's "Rebel Rebel" or Suzi Quatro's "Devil Gate Drive" (we had a rotation system in our house as a kid whereby each member of the family got to choose a 45 to buy that month - we lived in fear of my youger sister's turn - wish I still had that Sooty 45 though)

LP was the Beatles "Blue" comp - bought around the time it came out (yes i'm that old) and was financed via several week pocket money and a few half-hearted car washings - played it to death and have gone through three copies to date.
              "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

"I Just Can't Stop It" album by The Beat and "One Step Beyond" album by Madness, with my 10th birthday money. A tenner the pair new, from Gilberts Music in Long Eaton - as Rob Reiner states in Spinal Tap... "don't look for it, its not there anymore"...

Which, will be exactly 23 years ago this coming weekend !

I look like   drink like        think like  

... it's all starting to add up.
                If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

...but I'll never be as old as Lee...

Or Rich...

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

The first single I bought was Ernie (Fastest Milkman In The West) by Benny Hill. The first LP was Liverpool FC Sing Songs Of The Kop (even at ten I knew there was going to be a bit of a wait for Grimsby Town FC Sing Songs Of The Pontoon. I'm still waiting...)

The first record I bought that I can honestly look back and say, yes, that was actually really good is David Essex's Rock On. Which was the third single I bought.
                    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

'can you dig it' by the mock turtles (the first time around). i still like it.
                      http://www.blaxploitation.com
                      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 13 2004,15:22)]Which was the third single I bought.
                        Which begs the question, what was the second Bill???

And don't you forget that Sie (the message board can't deal with ages of more than two digits so the New Year really screwed me up - still, 99 for a second year).

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 13 2004,15:29)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 13 2004,15:22)]Which was the third single I bought.
                          Which begs the question, what was the second Bill???

And don't you forget that Sie (the message board can't deal with ages of more than two digits so the New Year really screwed me up - still, 99 for a second year).

No Matter How I Try by Gilbert O'Sullivan. Not his best.
                          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]Which, will be exactly 23 years ago this coming weekend !

I look like drink like think like
                            Wow! You and me were only born a few weeks apart!

Personally, I bought the Purple Rain LP (purple vinyl too) and Grandmaster Flash 'Greatest Messages' on the same day when I was about 12?

Before then, I'd had 'Kings of the Wild Frontier' LP, 'Tin Drum', 'Replicas' and 'Pleasure Principle' etc bought for me and won 'Prince Charming' LP on a Radio Trent phone-in quiz!! I was sad even when I was young.

I look like , drink like , think like and nothing ever adds up. On account of being shite at maths.

Benicio
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

'More Miller and Other Big Band Magic' by the Syd Lawrence Orchestra, bought from a jumble sale at my old school when I was ten.

My vulturing habits started early.......

Comment

Working...
                              X