Bangkok boogie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok boogie

Some of you may remember some discusion about 5 or 6 weeks back about the lack of records in Thailand. Well it turns out that there are some.... in fact there's a whole street of record shops in Bangkok. Its in the Chinatown area, a block on the main road that runs along the north side of the Thieves Market, shortly before the.

Sadly unlike CDs or almost everything, vinyl isn't cheap there and the prices are non-negotiable. 300 Baht for lps (6-7 euros) and 50 for singles. This, combined with budget and weight concerns, meant I didn't bother much with sampling the local produce (as what i heard didn't really do it) as I'd be taking pot luck based on sleeves. But tehre were some nice finds, and almost all are sealed.

Myrna Summers & the Interdenominational Singers - lp on Cotillion
    Syretta - Syretta (Motown 1972)
    Fanny - Charity Ball
    Sergio Mendez & Brasil '77- Pais Tropical
    The Ventures - (Comp with various 70's covers including several War tunes)
    Some Bollywood soundtrack whose title I can't remember.

I didn't bother with the cheap imitation of under the name Robert Last - so somone can tell me its a genius groove.

I also got a few scratchy disco albums from Singapore and Hong Kong in the Chackuchak weekend market. I was initially quoted 100B each and offered 150 for the 3 which the seller agreed to. I sort of wonder if I could have got them for even less but that price is ok if the various Beatles and Abba covers come up with the cheesey discoy goods.

Haven't played any of them yet as I'm barely getting over the jet lag. And how cold its is and the lousy food. Maybe I should have stayed.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Jan. 14 2004,11:35)]I didn't bother with the cheap imitation of under the name Robert Last - so somone can tell me its a genius groove.
    Isn't he James Last's brother? I think he played with Herr Last's orchestra, but I don't know what his solo stuff's like..
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ Jan. 14 2004,11:35)]I didn't bother with the cheap imitation of under the name Robert Last - so somone can tell me its a genius groove.
      For what it's worth, Robert Last is 's brother - there's one LP by him with versions of 'Black Night', 'Hey Joe' and 'Lucretia MacEvil' on it, but most of his stuff's more your straight-ahead German big band stuff, so I don't think you've missed much.

Comment

Haha.. beat ya! Although obviously, your post was vastly more informative..
        Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

For the price it sounds like no loss.
          Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

and Kai Warner is Werner Last i believe. quite a few record sales from one family!

Comment

hi there diggers..
              i was in thailand a while ago and picked up loads of bits and pieces including plenty of the
              local fair...
              hears a couple of great tracks you can download>>can't tell you the artist ect
              but if anyone can shed any light or know of any other tracks like this i would be most
              pleased..
              just follow the link...thanx

My Webpage
              ...mercuryvenusearthmars...

Comment

Working...
              X