Jack bruce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (theeman @ Jan. 16 2004,09:04)]does anyone know if jack's late 80s/early 90s solo LP is remotely funky? i had it on tape years ago and seem to remember there being maybe one track that was ok, but haven't heard it in years...
    A Question Of Time? From '89? is that the one you're thinking of? The first track has a nice bass intro, and has Vernon Reid on it, but it's more rock-y than funk-y, and ruined a bit by awful chime-y synths .... 'Hey Now Princess' has Ginger on drums, and something of a lolloping groove....

It reminds me of my Cream and all things related obsession of my early teens, and trying to learn to play drums like Ginger...

... Hence the Mr.Guder covers of 'White Room' & 'Sunshine Of Your Love'. If you're about on Thursday you might hear us murdering 'Steppin Out' too

I've struggled to find some Eric to play out over the years, and never really succeeded, beyond getting 'The Sky Is Crying' (from 'There's One In Every Crowd&#39 onto a few 'downtempo' type mixtapes. The Delaney & Bonnie / Derek & The Dominoes era stuff has some groove driven moments - 'Comin Home' and 'Blues Power' spring to mind, and the King Curtis hook-ups from this period ('Teasin' is ace and has been comped on one of the Atlantic 'Right On' LP's if memory serves) Basically, stuff he played on from '69 into the early 70's was him trying to get away from the guitar hero schtick and get into some 'good funky songs' (i read that quote somewhere once).

Check out the 'Crossroads' 6LP boxset if you have some spare MVE vouchers The live take of 'I Shot The Sheriff' is seven minutes of wah-funk ...

As for Ginge - the version of Don't Stop The Carnival is great Still yet to pick up the Airforce LP - the Baker / Gurvitz Army stuff is sorta prog pop (3 minute songs all with titles starting 'The' something or other) and I have a live album of his from '82 which is prog-jazz-fusion. 'Wheelchair Dance Festival' rocks

Oh crap. Rubberfunk White Boy Blues Roots Exposed ...

Night night ...
    FunkyDown
    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks for the tips on Eric good Dr. I can't emphasise enough that Eric's studio version of I Shot The Sheriff is also indisputably a dancefloor killer and it's also on a 12-inch with a fat loud cut. I found it in MVE years ago for 50p.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Dr Rubberfunk @ Jan. 19 2004,23:50)]I've struggled to find some Eric to play out over the years, and never really succeeded, beyond getting 'The Sky Is Crying' (from 'There's One In Every Crowd&#39 onto a few 'downtempo' type mixtapes.
        His contributions on The Whos 'Tommy' are indeed worthy.

Worth a punt for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X