The Sun Also Rises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sun Also Rises

First-ever reissue of a lovely sought-after 1970 British acid folk rarity from the Village Thing label master tapes of their only album. The Sun Also Rises were a mystical, magical hippie female and male folk duo, Graham and Anne Hemingway from Cardiff, playing guitars, dulcimer, glockenspiel, vibes, bells, kazoo, percussion, and other instruments, joined by label-mate John Turner on string bass. VERY much in the creative style and delivery of the Incredible String Band, with many similarities to Dr. Strangely Strange, COB, Comus, Forest and Tir Na Nog. Songs of wizards, dragons, death, love, dreams and suicide; tripped-out, spellbinding, esoteric folk collages. "Through the mirror on the floor lies the secret of the door...Beyond is fantasy though it could be reality...". Bonus rare non-LP track, "Fafnir & The Knights". Will come as a wonderful surprise for lovers of the Incredible String Band and their ilk, there were few bands that were able to stray into this much loved world of fantasy and folk music.

Just found this on some web site.
    anyone know if its any good?
    did it ccome out on vinyl?
    is it rare?
    instagram.com/vinylhoard

Fairst rate.
    tis th' badger, son.

Comment

I've got a battered copy of this around here somewhere.. the last time I played this approx 2 months ago, and IMHO I still thought it was an utter heap of over hyped doo doo..

So impressed was I, that I can't be bothered to dig it out again and play it...

One man's music is an others earache, but I feel there's better stuff out there worth paying to listen too..
      Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

Comment

Originally posted by woodbutcher View Post
        I've got a battered copy of this around here somewhere.. the last time I played this approx 2 months ago, and IMHO I still thought it was an utter heap of over hyped doo doo..

One man's music is an others earache, but I feel there's better stuff out there worth paying to listen too..
        ill have it.
        instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

I used to have a copy - I remember it being OK but a bit twee, certainly not as outstanding as Dr Strangely Strange, Forest, Comus etc etc.....
          Don't think it's that rare. Orig. came out on the Village Thing label - straight outta Clifton Village, Bristol BS8 (Royal York Cresent actually !)
          "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy Ya Ya View Post
            Orig. came out on the Village Thing label - straight outta Clifton Village, Bristol BS8 (Royal York Cresent actually !)
            nice. please expand on this --- was there a record label based in Clifton or something?
            Muchos mixes <<<<

HELLFIRE VIDEO CLUB

Comment

Village Thing - actually their offices were on Park Street, I believe, though one of the albums on the label is called 'Royal York Crescent'....
              We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Village Thing was run by Ian A Anderson - the folk blues guitarist- now editor of Folk Roots magazine. He initially lived at Royal York Crescent and also ran the legendary Troubadour Folk Club (off Princess Victoria St in Clifton), as immortalised by Al Stewart in 'Clifton In The Rain'.The label's address changed a few times.
                There was also Mushroom Recording Studios off The Mall which I believe ran until the late '80's and local graphic/design outfit Plastic Dog (inc. 'budget Roger Dean' Rodney Matthews) did most of the graphics. Quite a boheimian place in the late 60's - mid '70's ...probably because it was run down then and cheap to rent / good to squat.

Ian A Anderson was briefly signed to Island and appears on the front cover of the You Can All Join In comp. - but they booted him off the label before he could release anything, allegedly to avoid confusion with Jethro's Ian Anderson !
                "Cover condition:Is perfect except on back cover theres an area of dirty smudge dont know what it is and covers a bit wrinkled which im sure could be flattened out"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...6018553&type=3

Comment

i have two dave evans albums on village thing-they're pretty nice albums..thanks for the info. on the label guys !
                  Rockwell
                  Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

Originally posted by woodbutcher View Post

I agree 100% with your assesment , quite average really.Sunforest (nice vinyl reissue out of Spain) is more interesting so is Tudor Lodge,Trader Horne
                    or Heron both their albums were put out on cd on Sanctuary about 8 months ago,no vinyl tho.
                    Don't drop out !

Comment

Anyone got a copy spare or that they dont want?
                      ill happily give it a nice home
                      instagram.com/vinylhoard

Comment

Originally posted by eric-adams View Post
                        Anyone got a copy spare or that they dont want?
                        ill happily give it a nice home
                        Ok I've dug out my battered copy, and endured it again, and I stand by my original thoughts.. it's yours for the princely sum of £2.75 for post/packing (inc New card mailing envelope etc etc)

but for that amount of money you could buy almost 3 cans of Stella, and 25% of good CD reishs such as COB's "Moyse McStiff", or Bread Love & dreams's "Amaryalis" and I reckon the Stella gets it every time....

If you really want to waste a 3 pack drop me a pm...
                        Hey Santa, Pass us that bottle will ya..

Comment

Working...
                        X