Weekend finds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend finds

Not an epic list this week, I can hear the audible sighs of relief around the country

Found the following in charities:

Love - Forever Changes - Practically faultless LP - Double

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - couldn't resist this as it has all the original posters and inserts unused - double

Egg - The Civil Service - Mad, left field, funky prog fusion madness - Double

Wynton Marsalis - J Mood - Too straight ahead for my liking.

Duke Jordan / Sadik Hakim - East and West of Jazz - Beautiful record but not particularly funky.

Horst Jankowski - Jankowskinetik - One of his better Lp's on mps, unfortunately without a sleeve, unlikely I know but anyone have a spare?

Sight and Sound - Movie Themes of Today - Fragments of Fear is unbelievible, not listened to this for yonks! - double

Alan Moorhouse and Bond Street Brigade - I'd actually forgotten how good Funky Fever is, could be a lost Mandingo track.

Izhar Cohen - Illusions - Coincidently I just bought a French copy of this on the bay. Israeli record (shout going out to the E-man) with a huge break on the intro into a decent track - double.

Info needed on this one:

Paul Horn - Jazz Suite on the Mass Texts - Fantastic religious jazz lp conducted by Lalo Schrifin. I love this sought of stuff! Anyone know anything about this release or can recommend any similar religious LP's by jazz players.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Jan. 17 2004,20:25)]Not an epic list this week, I can hear the audible sighs of relief around the country
    Found the following in charities:
    Love - Forever Changes - Practically faultless LP - Double
    Going to see Arthur Lee in Feb - they're gonna play 'Forever Changes' in full - can't wait!
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

i picked up a few nice items this weekend:

bert kaempfert - &quot;now&#33;&quot; - charted by the man LDJB a few months ago, this one contains a break on &quot;PYHITH&quot; and even better, some good tunes - &quot;falling free&quot; sounds like johnny harris, uptempo pleaser &quot;proud mary&quot; with squealing fuzz guitar, &quot;living easy&quot; (probably my favourite on here, really nice easy funk).

gunther kallmann choir - &quot;the very best of&quot; - a sighting of &quot;daydream&quot; but for once not on the ubiquitous polydor easy sampler&#33; also notable for a lovely crisp run through of stevie&#39;s &quot;my cherie amour&quot;.

don costa - &quot;the don costa concept&quot; - great big band grooviness. chunky takes on &quot;love so fine&quot;, &quot;adios&quot;, &quot;tristesse&quot; and &quot;i&#39;m gonna make you love me&quot;.

geoff love &amp; his orch. - &quot;play your top t.v. themes&quot; - already have a copy of this, but i&#39;d forgotten how bloody good these versions of &quot;strange report&quot; (as comped on one of the early &#39;easy&#39; collections and rightly so) and &quot;jason king&quot; are&#33; (double)

the comedians - &quot;laugh with...&quot; - very unfunny, but useful as a snapshot of comedy in 1971, a bit of social history. frank carson battles it out with bernard manning to see who can tell the most mother-in-law jokes. teeth-wateringly awful.

medicine head - &quot;slip &amp; slide&quot; (45) - nice late-psychy (1974) 45 from old favourites of john peel.

Comment

I got myself out of the city centre yesterday and it finally paid off when a nice old dear said the magic words &quot;We&#39;ve just got a new box of records in, would you like a look? 50p each or 3 for a pound&quot; - like a rat up a drainpipe I tell you. Nothing terribly funky but a few rare bits:

Bill Withers - Best of... (always suprises me how good this bloke is) double

Anita Harris - Somebody&#39;s in my Orchard (strange one from Anita, nice version of &quot;Watermelon Man&quot; on it but she occasionaly sounds like the pub singer) - double

Terry Reid - The Most of... (&quot;Superlungs&quot; and a couple of other psychers) - double

Steely Dan - Gaucho (yes, I like Steely Dan, what of it??)

PJ Proby - Phenomenon (punk assed blue eyed soul - some nice uptempo stompers)

Edgar Broughton Band - Sing Brother Sing (&quot;No Vibrations but Wait&#33;&quot; is the one but some other weirdness too)

Tony Christie comp (ahem...erm &quot;Walk Like a Panther&quot

British Motown Chartbusters (nice clean copy)

Phil Spectors Xmas Album (better late than never)

Summer Chartbusters (mainly &#39;cos I&#39;d never seen it before and it has &quot;Roadrunner&quot; and &quot;Dizzy&quot; on it)

Charles Wuorinen - Time&#39; Enconium (weirdo music concrete on synths - destined for the &#39;bay / trade)

Howard Riley Trio - Angle (weirdo late 60&#39;s jazz - very free - destined for the bay / trade)

John Stevens Spontaneous Music Ensemble ( see above&#33

Brian Jones presents the Pipes of Pan at Joujouka (world music tosh to these ears but apparantly quite rare so off the bay it goes&#33

The Strawbs - Bursting at the Seams (where the hell is the Strawbs break? Pretty sure it&#39;s not on this one either)

The Eagles - The Long Run (&quot;Those Shoes&quot; as used by the Beastie Boys)

Bridget St John - Songs for the Gentle Man (rare peice on Dandelion - not my cuppa so head baywards / trade too)

Steel Pulse - True Democracy (bit late but still enjoyable)

Francoise Hardy - In English (I love the version of &quot;Catch a Falling Star&quot; on here) - double

Natural Acoustic Band - Learning to Live (more rare folk / prog headed to the bay / trade)

Amazing Blondel - Fantasia Lindum (see above)

Roy Harper - Flat Baroque and Beserk (2 copies - both doubles - this lp is all acoustic apart from the last track &quot;Hells Angels&quot; which is a hammond and fuzz banger) - doubles

Grateful Dead - Live / Dead (urrgh - ever rated this band - bay / trade - strangely though there were some press shots of the Third Ear Band in the sleeve - maybe most of this lot was from one of the members collection?)

Judee Sill - S/T (more folk / prog gentleness - bay / trade)

Shangri-Las - Golden Hits (Can&#39;t beat a bit of the Shangri-Las every so often)

Kai Warner - Salsoul Explosion (never seen this before and it&#39;s pretty good - discoey funky stuff - fair few breaks on it too)

and then I went to the most pitiful car boot this morning - I was there for ten minutes (literally) and looked at both of the boxes of records&#33; One of them contained a pile of EMI / Pye promo 45s (with the good ones missing). I came home with these:

The Sonic All-Stars - The Sounds of Star Wars (this is the version Flash uses when he plays live - primarily the electro break in the main theme)

45s

Kevin Leray - I Would Do It All Again (I was seduced by the Alan Tew credit - pish - avoid)

Alan Moorhouse - When the Boat Comes In (I knew this would be rubbish but couldn&#39;t resist)

Mike Morton Congregation - Falling in Love Again (nice beat but rubbish tune)

Blue Mink - Get Up (this is more like it&#33; This is actually better known to me as &quot;7,6,5,4,3,2,1 Blow Your Whistle&quot; - very funky)

So there you have it - sorry for rambling on but I&#39;m very bored due to the booter being so crap and the family pissing off out without me &#39;cos tey thought I&#39;d be out ages etc.......

If any one is interested in any of the doubles etc above give me a shout.
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

hmm, i might as well join in with what I obtained by fair means and foul this week, including postal arrivals...

Tunji Oyelana and the Benders - Double Face (EMI Nigeria)
          killer LP, inc. the track &#39;Ifa&#39; which was on the Nigeria 70 comp

Wild Fire - Check It (Charlies)
          very odd trinidadian affair on a New York label, one killer track, a sort of minor-key-dismal-death-disco/funk thing. Unique, and really heavy.

Dorothy Morrison - Brand New Day (elektra)

Johnny Johnson and his Bandwagon - Soul Sahara (Bell) James Ellerbeck put me onto this, jolly nice it is too, if a little directionless.

Mark Holder and the Positives (atlantic) - Whatevers fair

The Rebels - Rhodesia (black Wax)
          wicked, wicked version of drum song. 2nd copy, minting up, so if anybody wants one with a few rather nasty clicks at the start...

Jacques dutronc - J&#39;aime les filles (Vogue) inc. Tout lu, tout vu, tout bu...

Serge Gainsbourg - no. 4 (phillips) just the reissue, as I don&#39;t have a spare £400 or whatever it costs... Why did this man make &#39;L&#39;Anthracite&#39; in 1959? Totally bananas.

there we are then. quite a good week really, if rather costly.

Comment

Hey fin - did you get my pm. I think it bounced back or something. Cheers for all the island advice&#33;

Anyway is this 45 any cop?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2588161618
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 18 2004,20:01)]Hey fin - did you get my pm. I think it bounced back or something. Cheers for all the island advice&#33;

Anyway is this 45 any cop?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=2588161618
              It&#39;s ace, Sermad and I think I&#39;ve got a double of it (though on a different label).
              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

I actually don&#39;t know what that sounds like. It turns up fairly regularly I think, but i have to say I&#39;ve never actually heard it...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (fin @ Jan. 19 2004,02:08)]I actually don&#39;t know what that sounds like. It turns up fairly regularly I think, but i have to say I&#39;ve never actually heard it...
                  It&#39;s a sort of heavy drum funk record, but it was played in early 70s NY discos (which is how I know about it). Older hands in US describe it as a disco record, but it doesn&#39;t actually sound like one.
                  http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Wilson Pickett -I want you
                    Brenda Russel -s/t
                    Jorge Santana -s/t
                    El Chicano -Barettas Theme
                    William DeVaughn -Be thankful what you got
                    Gwen McRae -All this love
                    Grover Washington Jr. -Paradise
                    A brazilian funk record..
                    Yambu -s/t
                    Pipe Dreams OST

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 19 2004,09:05)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (fin @ Jan. 19 2004,02:08)]I actually don&#39;t know what that sounds like. It turns up fairly regularly I think, but i have to say I&#39;ve never actually heard it...
                      It&#39;s a sort of heavy drum funk record, but it was played in early 70s NY discos (which is how I know about it). Older hands in US describe it as a disco record, but it doesn&#39;t actually sound like one.
                      it&#39;s pretty nice in a repetitive kind of way. a bit of a stoner funk record really - it&#39;s just a looped groove, but a good one, and very well produced.
                      http://www.blaxploitation.com
                      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Had a nice weekend, went down to San Diego for a Show that Slick Rick was doing and stayed overnight to go to SD record show.

San Diego:
                        Three Degrees &quot;Maybe&quot; (Roulette)
                        Love &quot;Out There&quot; (Blue Thumb)
                        Lou Donaldson &quot;Blues Walk&quot; (Blue Note) - 63rd St address deep groove
                        Monkees &quot;Head OST&quot; (Colgems)
                        Shotgun LTD &quot;S/T&quot; (Prophesy)
                        David McCallum &quot;Music, It&#39;s Happening Now&#33;&quot; (Capitol)
                        Robert Byrne &quot;Electric Hair&quot; (Evolution)
                        Lyn Christopher &quot;S/T&quot; (Paramount)
                        &quot;Nonstop Discotheque Party Dance&quot;&quot;(Gateway) - Exploito group with no name does funky covers of &quot;Fame&quot;,&quot;5-4-3-2-1(Blow your Whistle)&quot; and &quot;Shining Star&quot;
                        Ballin&#39; Jack &quot;Buzzard Luck&quot; (Columbia)
                        5 Stairsteps &amp; Cubie &quot;Our Family Portrait&quot; (Buddah)
                        and
                        Ann Sexton &quot;Youre Gonna Miss Me/ You&#39;re Losing Me&quot;&quot; (Seventy7)

Los Angeles:
                        Maxayn &quot;S/T&quot; (Capricorn)
                        Travis Biggs &quot;Solar Funk&quot; (Source)
                        Gil Scott-Heron &quot;Real Eyes&quot; (Arista)
                        Gil Scott-Heron &quot;Winter In America&quot; (Strata East)
                        New Birth &quot;Coming From all Ends&quot; (RCA)
                        Cerrone &quot;The Golden Touch&quot; (Cotillion) - Rocket in the pocket
                        Oscar Petersen &quot;Motions &amp; Emotions&quot; (MPS)
                        Eddie Floyd &quot;Down to Earth&quot; (Stax)
                        Flakes 1 &quot;1980&quot; (Magic Disc)
                        and

Sun Ra &quot;The Bridge&quot; (Saturn) - One sided 45 autographed by Sun Ra, Marshall Allen, and June Tyson on both the label and sleeve.

all that and a great show from Mc Ricky D made this a really good weekend

Comment

Hi I&#39;m new here&#33;

A few finds:

New Freedom Singers - PYHITH
                          Sunbirds - Zagara (got another one coming in through a trade&#33
                          Niagara - S.U.B.
                          Motherhood - I Feel So Free
                          Skorpio - Gyere Velem (nice track called &quot;That old organ sound&quot; or so)
                          Skorpio - Kelj fel&#33;
                          Skorpio - Ãœnnepnap&#33;

what a weekend&#33; my best finds ever&#33;

Comment

Is that sunbirds the one with the orange on the cover? If it is then I want it&#33;

Oh and welcome to the site - Have we talked before? I know your name (maybe soulstrut then?)

Oh and funky guzzo - If you dont want the monkees head. I&#39;ll have that too&#33;

Is it mono or stereo?
                            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Funky Guzzo @ Jan. 19 2004,10:57)]Ann Sexton &quot;Youre Gonna Miss Me/ You&#39;re Losing Me&quot;&quot; (Seventy7)
                              Los Angeles:
                              Maxayn &quot;S/T&quot; (Capricorn)
                              that maxayn LP is ace. same goes for ann sexton. lovely&#33; nice one&#33;
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X