Brain salad surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brain salad surgery

Just wondering whether I should liberate this complicated-sleeved prog number from a local charity shop.

I think previous threads have suggested that "Tarkus" has breaks and there's a flutey Greg Lake number somewhere that's nice enough.

Also, what does "Brain Salad Surgery" mean?

Tom Jones changes the line to "Every little old brain needs some surgery" in his version of Right Place Wrong Time ... does that mean the phrase is shocking to Welsh trouser-splitters, or is it just the usual meaningless prog twaddle?
    It ain't shakey

I had it when I was 13, so it's 30 years since I heard it but I'd say there's no funk on it at all. I've only ever one great ELP tune and that's From The Beginning from Trilogy. The rest is prog nonsense, unless someone knows better (and I'm not counting breaks either).

PS Did anyone see the Prog Rock special on BBC4 last night? It was ace! I've been downloading Yes tunes all morning after hearing a couple of funky things in the background. Suffice to say, there's 30 seconds of funk against 8 minutes of shit.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

it's rubbish. you can have mine if you really want!

from memory (8 years or so) there's some sampling potential, but nothing worth listening to.

Comment

Its horrrible. I succumbed to a copy in the interests of research last year: pseudo-classical nonsense played very fast on synths.

On the subject of Yes, "Roundabout" is pretty funky. And about once year I get in the mood to listen to "Close to the Edge". I think they went off though after the drummer on those records (Bill Bruford or someone) left.
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Jan. 20 2004,14:24)]it's rubbish. you can have mine if you really want!
          No no noooooooooo thank you.

The thing is, I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy sleeves... but as this is invariably a portent of prog, i thought it wise to check.

So why did Tom avoid singing "Brain salad surgery" then? He didn't have a problem with "Right vein, wrong arm".
          It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 20 2004,14:19)]PS Did anyone see the Prog Rock special on BBC4 last night? It was ace! I've been downloading Yes tunes all morning after hearing a couple of funky things in the background. Suffice to say, there's 30 seconds of funk against 8 minutes of shit.
            yeah, watched that. bit disappointed - it was very superficial, although it's always fun to see john peel saying 'bollocks' on telly. maybe i just spent too many teenage years confirming to the middle class white boy stereotype they kept harping on about - they only covered the obvious 4 or 5 big prog bands, and their best-known LPs!

most Yes records from then are pretty bad and way too long but 'roundabout' is excellent and damn funky in parts (that whole LP is pretty damn good).

while i've got a lot of respect for bruford as a drummer, he came across as a bit of a tosser on that programme...

incidentally the live Can track off Whistle Test that they broadcast in a little clip was f**kin brilliant. was it something off Future Days?

i like ELP's 'fanfare for the common man'. does this make me sick? carl palmer's another brilliant drummer. bit heavy on the gongs but nevertheless!
            http://www.blaxploitation.com
            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Vincent Gallo nicked the only decent bit of a Yes track for hisi film, Buffalo 66, which would've been a fine film if Gallo didn't make it.
              http://wakeupanddie.com
              http://weirdgearnyc.com
              http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,14:30)]The thing is, I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy sleeves...  but as this is invariably a portent of prog, i thought it wise to check.
                There's also an NME flexidisc sampler, with that elaborate sleeve reproduced on v. flimsy paper - I've got one, as it 'appens, but I don't have the actual LP.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,14:10)]Just wondering whether I should liberate this complicated-sleeved prog number from a local charity shop.

I think previous threads have suggested that "Tarkus" has breaks and there's a flutey Greg Lake number somewhere that's nice enough.

Also, what does "Brain Salad Surgery" mean?

Tom Jones changes the line to "Every little old brain needs some surgery" in his version of Right Place Wrong Time ... does that mean the phrase is shocking to Welsh trouser-splitters, or is it just the usual meaningless prog twaddle?
                  I recently did an interview with Keith Emerson for a local newspaper when his band 'The Nice' came to town to play a gig. He said 'Brain Salad Surgery' was his favourite ELP album.

Very nice guy, too...
                  Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Just to answer my own question:

Lowering the tone

I assume that salad surgery on its own is the application of mayonaise.
                    It ain't shakey

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Jan. 20 2004,15:36)]
                      Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,14:30)]The thing is, I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy sleeves...  but as this is invariably a portent of prog, i thought it wise to check.
                      There's also an NME flexidisc sampler, with that elaborate sleeve reproduced on v. flimsy paper - I've got one, as it 'appens, but I don't have the actual LP.
                      Ha! That's what suckered me into my ill-advised ELP period. Do you also have the NME flexi for Monty Python? Ah, those were the days when a flexi disc could empty a magazine from the newsstands!

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 20 2004,15:26)]Vincent Gallo nicked the only decent bit of a Yes track for hisi film, Buffalo 66, which would've been a fine film if Gallo didn't make it.
                        Don't diss Prince Vince. Ever. You're on thin fucking ice buddy!! Gallo for President.

That scene is top, I always wanted to know what that music was and I thought he'd probably colluded with Frusciante or something to make some modern prog-grunge interlude, but then I was informed that the soundtrack was mostly Yes and King Crimson. And the documentary last night (a guilty pleasure it would seem) rolled out a little more of the Yes track.

I may even be tempted to go in Fopp and purchase a couple of Yes CDs (while wearing a false beard and dark glasses).

Benicio
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Jan. 20 2004,16:43)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 20 2004,15:26)]Vincent Gallo nicked the only decent bit of a Yes track for hisi film, Buffalo 66, which would've been a fine film if Gallo didn't make it.
                          Don't diss Prince Vince. Ever. You're on thin fucking ice buddy!! Gallo for President.
                          I'm with Nick on this one. He's talentless prick and Buffalo 66 is up there with Velvet Goldmine for total unwatchability.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]yeah, watched that. bit disappointed - it was very superficial
                            Oh come on - they only had half an hour and most of the songs in question are longer than that!
                            I enjoyed it and also thought the Can segment was great and Peelie going on about the middle class bloke saying his mind was "Blauwn, absolutelay blauwn" had me in stitches - someone should sample that.
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,16:17)]Just to answer my own question:

Lowering the tone

I assume that salad surgery on its own is the application of mayonaise.
                              Ha! That post was from Jim Smith....the legendary organ grinder.....
                              new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                              X