Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wayne
    replied
    Didn't catch the doc, but what is Prog anyway? Beyond the likes of ELP/Yes/Mike Oldfield/Genesis etc? Does it include Soft Machine, Henry Cow, Kraftwerk (isn't pretty much ALL Krautrock prog-by-another-name?), Roxy Music, even (whisper it) stuff like Bitches Brew, Headhunters, Alice Coltrane's 'World Galaxy' and the like? Genuinely curious, because 'prog' (as usually defined) does seem to basically mean the rubbish end of a pretty big swathe of fusion/free/funky/peculiar/hard to classify music from the '69 - '75 period, much of which was actually phenomenally good. Hell, everything from Hendrix to Neil Young, to 'Melody Nelson' and 'Endtroducing' sort of fits a rough definition of what prog is supposed to be (long tracks, lots of instruments, references to past techniques)...and people like Flaming Lips positively rejoice in the ridiculousness of it: I mean, 'Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots'?? Fantastic record, but that one's very much out of the prog closet...and old music-press punks were making it album of the year, so go figure.

PS: What's NOT to like about 'Buffalo 66'? Nice story, loads of atmosphere, strong direction, counfound-your-expectations ending, Gallo and Christina Ricci looking as radiantly odd as each-other...and a nice soundtrack. I expected to come away from it sneering, and was thoroughly charmed.

Leave a comment:

• Benicio Del Toffo
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 20 2004,16:56)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Jan. 20 2004,16:43)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 20 2004,15:26)]Vincent Gallo nicked the only decent bit of a Yes track for hisi film, Buffalo 66, which would've been a fine film if Gallo didn't make it.
    Don't diss Prince Vince. Ever. You're on thin fucking ice buddy!! Gallo for President.
    I'm with Nick on this one. He's talentless prick and Buffalo 66 is up there with Velvet Goldmine for total unwatchability.
    Bit strong mate! I see the multi-talented, acclaimed (if not feted), ludicrously cool and handsome arch-satirist and Olympic standard liar has aroused some passions!

As someone else in this thread philosophically put it, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I'm a sucker for an auteur.

I think that Prog documentary was doomed by its time limitations. A genre needs a series to itself, it would be very hard to capture the spirit and the prime movers behind any genre in a couple of hours and last night's show wasn't half that long. I dare say that most people who contribute to this board could put together a fantastic prog compilation that would shame the makers of last night's 'scratch the surface' show.

Fair play to them for trying though. They could always go for the lowest common denominator and feature this year's pile of wank from Ayia Napa, Ibiza or 'insert Euro paradise soon to be ruined by pissed British twats' or even an examination of Nu-Metal.

We got off lightly.

Benicio

PS If you want unwatchable, try Jodorowsky's 'Holy Mountain' - what the FUCK?!!!

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    I would never knock Valentyne Suite - it's fantastic!
    All the sweeter because it was a 25p speculative punt as well!

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    Hey don't knock valentyne suite! That sure is fonky. Check the kettle and elegy (I think).

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (theeman @ Jan. 20 2004,18:04)]if you're gonna do half an hour on prog, then do half an hour on prog. don't spend 15 mins dissing it and featuring a whole load of punk tracks
    I hate that sort of thing - and pig-ignorant music reviewers who spout cliches like 'ELP were the reason punk had to happen'. It's all the more annoying because it seems you're not allowed to say 'No, hang on a minute, the Sex Pistols were a bit rubbish really.'

Where punk's concerned, I'm somewhat of the Bill Grundy persuasion, I'm afraid, though I'll make an exception for 'I'm In Love With Margaret Thatcher' by the Notsensibles, which is brilliant,

I'd like to see prog appreciated on its own level, without bringing punk into it - it's not really necessary, and there's some really good stuff out there, if only people would overcome their prejudices.

I am now going to grow a huge beard and listen to Colloseum's 'Valentyne Suite' again....

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]don't spend 15 mins dissing it and featuring a whole load of punk tracks
    Point taken.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one!
    'nuff said.

Leave a comment:

• theeman
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Jan. 20 2004,16:58)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]yeah, watched that. bit disappointed - it was very superficial
    Oh come on -  they only had half an hour and most of the songs in question are longer than that!
    I enjoyed it and also thought the Can segment was great and Peelie going on about the middle class bloke saying his mind was "Blauwn, absolutelay blauwn" had me in stitches - someone should sample that.
    if you're gonna do half an hour on prog, then do half an hour on prog. don't spend 15 mins dissing it and featuring a whole load of punk tracks - save that for the punk 1/2hr (which i'm looking forward to)

guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one!

Leave a comment:

• Col Wolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,16:17)]Just to answer my own question:

Lowering the tone

I assume that salad surgery on its own is the application of mayonaise.
    Ha! That post was from Jim Smith....the legendary organ grinder.....

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]yeah, watched that. bit disappointed - it was very superficial
    Oh come on - they only had half an hour and most of the songs in question are longer than that!
    I enjoyed it and also thought the Can segment was great and Peelie going on about the middle class bloke saying his mind was "Blauwn, absolutelay blauwn" had me in stitches - someone should sample that.

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Jan. 20 2004,16:43)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 20 2004,15:26)]Vincent Gallo nicked the only decent bit of a Yes track for hisi film, Buffalo 66, which would've been a fine film if Gallo didn't make it.
    Don't diss Prince Vince. Ever. You're on thin fucking ice buddy!! Gallo for President.
    I'm with Nick on this one. He's talentless prick and Buffalo 66 is up there with Velvet Goldmine for total unwatchability.

Leave a comment:

• Benicio Del Toffo
    replied
    Originally posted by [b

That scene is top, I always wanted to know what that music was and I thought he'd probably colluded with Frusciante or something to make some modern prog-grunge interlude, but then I was informed that the soundtrack was mostly Yes and King Crimson. And the documentary last night (a guilty pleasure it would seem) rolled out a little more of the Yes track.

I may even be tempted to go in Fopp and purchase a couple of Yes CDs (while wearing a false beard and dark glasses).

Benicio

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Jan. 20 2004,15:36)]
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,14:30)]The thing is, I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy sleeves...  but as this is invariably a portent of prog, i thought it wise to check.
    There's also an NME flexidisc sampler, with that elaborate sleeve reproduced on v. flimsy paper - I've got one, as it 'appens, but I don't have the actual LP.
    Ha! That's what suckered me into my ill-advised ELP period. Do you also have the NME flexi for Monty Python? Ah, those were the days when a flexi disc could empty a magazine from the newsstands!

Leave a comment:

• dr kraken
    replied
    Just to answer my own question:

Lowering the tone

I assume that salad surgery on its own is the application of mayonaise.

Leave a comment:

• Seventies Kid
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,14:10)]Just wondering whether I should liberate this complicated-sleeved prog number from a local charity shop.

I think previous threads have suggested that "Tarkus" has breaks and there's a flutey Greg Lake number somewhere that's nice enough.

Also, what does "Brain Salad Surgery" mean?

Tom Jones changes the line to "Every little old brain needs some surgery" in his version of Right Place Wrong Time ... does that mean the phrase is shocking to Welsh trouser-splitters, or is it just the usual meaningless prog twaddle?
    I recently did an interview with Keith Emerson for a local newspaper when his band 'The Nice' came to town to play a gig. He said 'Brain Salad Surgery' was his favourite ELP album.

Very nice guy, too...

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (dr kraken @ Jan. 20 2004,14:30)]The thing is, I'm a bit of a sucker for fancy sleeves...  but as this is invariably a portent of prog, i thought it wise to check.
    There's also an NME flexidisc sampler, with that elaborate sleeve reproduced on v. flimsy paper - I've got one, as it 'appens, but I don't have the actual LP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X