Barry stoller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry stoller

I'm probably very behind the times on this, but can anyone supply me with the lowdown on De Wolfe regular Barry Stoller.

Was he the Stoller responsible for the 'Match of the Day' theme? Is he any relation to Rhet Stoller? Did he do any commercial releases/write for any other libraries? Where is he now?

Why do I think he used Peter Reno as a pseudonym?

Any help as ever much appreciated.
    Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Scratch my post. I got my barries mixed up!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Barry Stoller did indeed do the &#39;MOTD&#39; theme, and I&#39;ve heard from several sources that he is actually also guitarist Rhett Stoller, though I haven&#39;t actually had this confirmed yet.

Stoller and Peter Reno collaborated occasionally, but they&#39;re not the same person. Reno is in fact the alias of one Cliff Twemlow, who (until his death in the early 90s) managed to pack in composing, writing novels, acting, bodybuilding and being a nightclub bouncer in Manchester. I have a copy of his straight-to-video movie &#39;GBH - Grievous Bodily Harm&#39; which he wrote, directed and starred in - it has to be seen to be believed&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 20 2004,17:10)]Scratch my post. I got my barries mixed up&#33;
        was that barry forgie, serms?

Comment

Yep I was thinking of barrie forgie originally.

The only &#39;Barry Stoller&#39; I like is &#39;Formula&#39; on deWolfe. One track has this weird syncopated drum and bleepy effects. Its quite a cool loop actually.

Comment

yes&#33; &#39;formula&#39; is a good one. the track is called &#39;long weekend&#39; i think. or that one that was used in the sweeney... &quot;condition red&quot; or something.

Comment

I reckon the Atomic Butterfly by Meatball (on De Wolfe) has some pretty good moments. It&#39;s weird that a library has such a dirty lo-fi sound to it...

Can anyone explain (Lord Thames?) the uncanny resemblance between tracks on this LP like &quot;Hip Tank&quot; and Adam Best&#39;s &quot;Wall Of Sound&quot; on Fontana. In fact, I thought i was imagining this but I&#39;ve just checked them back to back, and there&#39;s an identical backing track with different solos over the top. &quot;Wall Of Sound&quot; has the names Cortley/Supran as writing credits and Harold Geller as a producer...

The mystery continues... Who knows? Who cares?
              There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Now this is very interesting, as on the de Wolfe &#39;70s - The Original Soundtrack&#39; there&#39;s a piece called &#39;Export&#39; which has the same production quality as the &#39;Atomic Butterfly&#39; LP, and features the same weird keyboard sound very prominently, and this track is composed by M. Silvio and S. Cortley, so there&#39;s obviously a connection somewhere.

I don&#39;t have the Adam Best LP so if anyone wants to run me off a cassette/CD/minidisc (for research purposes, obviously&#33 I&#39;d be very interested&#33;

Comment

Lord T - Export is from &#39;New generation&#39; and I&#39;m 99% sure its a rip-off of a more famous track. Which I don&#39;t know...

I forgot about &#39;Atomic Butterfly&#39; - Agreed its really heavy funk in places. A good un.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 21 2004,12:45)]Lord T - Export is from &#39;New generation&#39; and I&#39;m 99% sure its a rip-off of a more famous track. Which I don&#39;t know...
                    i&#39;m sure it&#39;s meant to be a rip off of &quot;i&#39;m a man&quot; by the spencer davies group, or something like that.

Comment

I&#39;ll refresh my memory tonight as Ive got that on 45 somewhere. Was it a decca one?

Comment

there&#39;s a fontana pressing - maybe a decca one, too. i&#39;m pretty sure that &quot;export&quot; track rips it off bigtime.

Comment

Yes, it probably was inspired by &#39;I&#39;m A Man&#39; - I hadn&#39;t thought of that, but it seems quite obvious now&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Jan. 20 2004,21:20)]Barry Stoller did indeed do the &#39;MOTD&#39; theme, and I&#39;ve heard from several sources that he is actually also guitarist Rhett Stoller, though I haven&#39;t actually had this confirmed yet.

Stoller and Peter Reno collaborated occasionally, but they&#39;re not the same person. Reno is in fact the alias of one Cliff Twemlow, who (until his death in the early 90s) managed to pack in composing, writing novels, acting, bodybuilding and being a nightclub bouncer in Manchester. I have a copy of his straight-to-video movie &#39;GBH - Grievous Bodily Harm&#39; which he wrote, directed and starred in - it has to be seen to be believed&#33;
                            Many thanks for the info Lord Thames - you really are the font of all knowledge&#33; Thanks.

Peter Reno sounds a very interesting character to say the least&#33;
                            Barry Morgan&#39;s brother is a driving instructor

Comment

And, of course, I&#39;m A man is covered on the Adam Best LP. Curiouser and curiouser.

Lord Thames, PM me your address and I&#39;ll send you a tape &quot;for research purposes&quot;...
                              There MUST be a Hymns-A-Swingin' in this box...

Comment

Working...
                              X