Hadrian elephants legendary cheapfunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadrian elephants legendary cheapfunk

Not long into the new year and already I am churning out the same old tired threads

As there have been a lot of new people join the board since I last brought this one up, can anyone recommend any cheap singles and LP's?

I don't mean cheap as in the kind of super duper rarities Ilmod picks up in quantity for pence at Oxfam, more the thing that dealers have in their stores/on their lists for £5-£10 that are overlooked by many because they are not big ticket items.

What are your favourites? Not just funk - souljazzreggaepsychepopwhatever
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

George Semper - Its Your thing. - Lovely organ funk cover. Dead cheap. Dead good.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

We need Fryer in on this one. It&#39;s music to my ears when he says &quot;...and it&#39;s a cheap one, too&quot; at Brillo - I&#39;ve bought a fair few 45&#39;s this year after hearing him playing them.

Three that I didn&#39;t crib from him...

Billy Stewart - Summertime
      Like John Schroeder&#39;s mariachi cover from &#39;Working In A Soulmine&#39; (in fact, I&#39;m pretty sure he took his &#39;inspiration&#39; from this one) with great scat singing and tough drums.

Little Milton - More And More
      As featured on the KFC ad - super nice version of the Blood, Sweat And Tears tune

Jacques Dutronc - Sur Une Nappe De Restaurant
      Loads of great, cheap Dutronc 45&#39;s out there - this is the one on Andy Votel&#39;s mix.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Given my (now well know apparently) reluctance to spend more than a quid on *anything*, I could list a fair bit.... but here are a few.

Nino Ferrer - Mao et Moa (Riviera - among others)
        Another one off the &#39;Music To make Girls Cry&#39; mix, cracking little drum break, crazy vocal and the line up on this is amazing (Manu Dibango, Pierre Dutour, Bernard Estardy el al). *And* the French Riviera EP press has &#39;N.F. In Trouble&#39; on the flip which is another cheesy cracker. Your&#39;s for a fiver.

Various - How Pink Is That Elephant Over There (Pink Elephant)
        Yes it&#39;s a compilation (an oldie though) but probably the best value purchase of the last year and a tenner (with postage). So what do you get ? Well, Ray Baretto&#39;s &#39;Soul Drummer&#39;, Janco Nilovic&#39;s &#39;Voodoo Obesssion&#39;, the slightly bizarre &#39;Soul Mamma&#39; by Robbie Dale and the mightly &#39;Send Me A Postcard&#39; by Shocking Blue. As an intro the label, and a proper no filler LP it is well worth every penny...and there are usually a few cheapies out there on eBay.

Duke Of Burlington - Viva Tirado / Devil&#39;s Trilo (Signal among others)
        While I&#39;m still looking for an affordable OG of the LP, I&#39;m making do with picking up the singles...and this is heavy on the violin psyche pop and the rolling basslines, a less accessable set of tracks in comparison to the pop of &#39;Flash&#39;, but well worth seeking out, and you&#39;ll not regret spalshing a tenner on it. If you do, I&#39;ll buy it off you... can&#39;t say fairer than that eh &#33;
        Matt Hero

Comment

How Pink Is That Elephant Over There - Is this the one with the cute girl on the cover? If so I need this&#33; Seen it around a tenner a few times actually.

&#39;Mao et Mao&#39; for a fiver? Thats good.

Don&#39;t forget &#39;Arsene Lupin&#39;. Great hammond groover and dirt cheap. On Ed&#39;s site I think.

Comment

Delights Orchestra on Atco: Do Your Thing

Cheap and if you don&#39;t know it, it has very compressed sounding drums that are high in the mix, makes a big entrance, quite funky, usually gets feet a shuffling...
            http://wakeupanddie.com
            http://weirdgearnyc.com
            http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 21 2004,11:55)]How Pink Is That Elephant Over There - Is this the one with the cute girl on the cover? If so I need this&#33; Seen it around a tenner a few times actually.

&#39;Mao et Mao&#39; for a fiver? Thats good.
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....18&amp;rd=1

But the Spanish press (with him singing in Spanish too, apparently) went nuts recently.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....08&amp;rd=1

Easy...

Flirtations - Nothing But A Heartache
              Old news to most I expect (and not for you Serms   ) - great Northern stomper on Deram.

Three Degrees - You&#39;re The Fool
              More funky soul.

Gene Faith - Family Man/My Baby&#39;s Missing
              Good two sider (one funk, one soul) that should still turn up for cheap with a little hunting.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

...while we&#39;re there...

Off Side - Theme From Match Of The Day / Small Deal (Pye)
                OK, getting harder to find, but there are plenty out there I&#39;d imagine lurking in the &#39;Themes&#39; section of your local rock&#39;n&#39;roll dealers, many of them in a dinky little picture sleeve. If you&#39;re DJ Format, head straight to the flip and hit record. Thanks Vibra &#33;

Honerable mentions to old faves Pussycat&#39;s &#39;Do It&#39; (of which there are still *thousands* out there), Cozy Powell&#39;s &#39;Then There Was Skin&#39;, Ivor Raymonde&#39;s &#39;The Real Thing&#39; (usually listed on eBay only mentioning The New Seekers track on the other side) and a nod to Rich on the Gene Faith as it is a cracker.
                Matt Hero

Comment

a bit more obscure and maybe a little bit more expensive, but not much -

chocolkate milk - action speakds louider than words 45
                  walt jenkins - funky walk (ACE dancefloor funk, works like a dream, easily better than 90% of 100-=quid plus 45s)
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Does anyone have a trade of the Match of the day 45? Been after this for ages&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] ]Off Side - Theme From Match Of The Day / Small Deal (Pye)
                      ... yeah - Nice call Matt, played this to some of the Newcastle heads at Tanners back in December and there was a scrum over the bar to the 1210&#39;s, necks aching to get a butcher&#39;s at what was on the turntable...

Not something I&#39;d play out regular like, but for those hangover sets, it&#39;s a definite nodder...
                      If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (theeman @ Jan. 21 2004,12:48)]a bit more obscure and maybe a little bit more expensive, but not much -

chocolkate milk - action speakds louider than words 45
                        walt jenkins - funky walk (ACE dancefloor funk, works like a dream, easily better than 90% of 100-=quid plus 45s)
                        You stretch the truth a bit here, fella.

But I&#39;ll agree with ya and say that it&#39;s a good cheapy, for sure.

Here&#39;s few goodies and cheapies on 45.

Betty Wright - Clean up woman
                        Beginning of the End - Funky Nassau
                        Bobby Franklins Insanity - Bring it on down
                        Kool &amp; the Gang - Chocolate buttermilk
                        Georgie Fame - Beware of the dog
                        Jean Wells - He ain&#39;t doing bad
                        Inez Fox - Give the dog a bone
                        The Dramatics - Get up and get down
                        Toussaint McCall - Shimmy
                        Ted Taylor - Funky situation
                        Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon man
                        Sir Mack Rice - Dark skinned woman

etc

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (theeman @ Jan. 21 2004,12:48)]walt jenkins - funky walk (ACE dancefloor funk, works like a dream, easily better than 90% of 100-=quid plus 45s)
                          this is double value.the other side, &quot;back in my life&quot; is a very nice horn-led soul groover - similar to the tsu toronadoes vocal efforts.
                          Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Jan. 21 2004,12:39)]...while we&#39;re there...

Off Side - Theme From Match Of The Day / Small Deal (Pye)
                            OK, getting harder to find, but there are plenty out there I&#39;d imagine lurking in the &#39;Themes&#39; section of your local rock&#39;n&#39;roll dealers, many of them in a dinky little picture sleeve. If you&#39;re DJ Format, head straight to the flip and hit record. Thanks Vibra &#33;
                            I&#39;ve been after one of these bad boys for tiiiiiiiiiime&#33;

Maybe it&#39;s just too easy to find so I cant see it
                            I was raised by wolves

Comment

Well, I&#39;ve never seen the MOTD 45, and I&#39;ve been after one since I got my cassette of &#39;BBC Sporting Themes&#39; from Woolies in 1989 - make of that what you will&#33;

I didn&#39;t even know it had a good b-side.....

Comment

Working...
                              X