Dancefloor dynamite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancefloor dynamite

I told you I was digging up the old threads didn't I!

Myself and my mates have been persuaded to dj again at our local working mens club. The night was previously titled 'Something Big' although I'd like to rename it 'Phoenix Nights'.

As I'm going to spend at least one Evening this year desperately trying to entice a crowd that look like onto the dancefloor I thought I'd ask you lovely people what your current and classic floor packing tunes are.

I then plan to buy them, steal all of your thunder and fill the club with gyrating who will think I have great records.

Ok, that bits a lie (well the definitely is).

So you mob who DJ, what gets your crowd going?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Jan. 20 2004,20:29)]I told you I was digging up the old threads didn't I!

Myself and my mates have been persuaded to dj again at our local working mens club. The night was previously titled 'Something Big' although I'd like to rename it 'Phoenix Nights'.

As I'm going to spend at least one Evening this year desperately trying to entice a crowd that look like       onto the dancefloor I thought I'd ask you lovely people what your current and classic floor packing tunes are.

I then plan to buy them, steal all of your thunder and fill the club with gyrating           who will think I have great records.

Ok, that bits a lie (well the   definitely is).

So you mob who DJ, what gets your crowd going?
    Get Big Vern to get jiggy with the gyrations on the floor - that'll get the crowd going.....out the door!

Current Movers:
    That Patchwork 45 (Afrodisiac/Laughing Sam) works for me every time - either side'll do!
    Bob Seger - Heavy Music
    Rhinoceros - Apricot Brandy....yawn
    Curiosity Shoppe - Baby I Need You
    Nostalgia77 - The Messenger - killer Bulldog rip-off
    Climax - You, I
    Chambermen - My Day Has Come
    Mr Guder - Super Guder Breaks 3
    Denny Ezba - Cleo's Back
    Danyel Gerard - Sexologie
    Indian Ropeman - Sunshine Of Your Love
    Wrong Black Bag - Wake Me Shake Me
    Slim Harpo - Shake Your Hips
    Sammy Davis Jnr - Up Up & Away
    new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Jackson 5 - It&#39;s Great To Be Here (re-edit).

This is on disco juice and is fackin brilliant&#33; Massive extended congo intro that blends into an incredible floorfiller that hip cats to nan&#39;s with false hips can dance too&#33; This gets a ***** shaker rating&#33;
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

starter for five...

Clarence Carter - Looking for a Fox (thanks Mr D)
        Sammy Davis Jr - You Can Count on Me
        Peaches &amp; Herb - Love is Strange
        Bobby Hebb - Sunny
        The Quick - Bert&#39;s Apple Crumble
        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Too busy laughing at Col&#39;s comments regarding the Newmarket legend that is &quot;Big Vern&quot; to list five, but one of my fave tunes at the mo is the Erma Franklin version of &quot;Light My Fire&quot; - always gets a reaction &#33;

Hayd - you gonna drag me and Towny down for some guest spots ? ? ?

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Current floorfillers for me:
            OLD:
            Salsoul Orcherstra - Getaway (Salsoul) (the one disco record guaranteed to work anywhere)
            Rod - Shake It Up (Do The Boogaloo) (Prelude)
            Margaret Singana - Why Did Ya Do It (Casablanca)
            Mel Sheppard - Can I Take You Home (Mr. Disco)
            Jestofunk - I&#39;m Gonna Love You (Rec In Pause)

NEW(ISH):
            Max Sedgeley - Happy (Irma)
            Quannum feat. Lyrics Born &amp; Poets of Rhythm - I Changed My Mind (Stereo MCs Mix)
            Mark Ronson - Oo-Wee (Elektra)
            Prince - Sign O&#39; The Times bootleg
            Mandrake - Berimbau (top Latin action)
            Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca (Funky Lowlives Mix)
            Baby Cham - Crazy In Love (ragga version)
            The Rebirth - This Journey In (amazing modern spacey jazz-funk by Cajmere)
            http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

No such thing as a sure thing. I did soem DJing before xmas and it was plugged as Acthung Oxfam - a strictly charity shop set, but the majority of people in that night were aging punk fans who just weren&#39;t going for it. Even the solitary Magazine album I had did nada.
              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

RSL - Wesley music. http://www.fatcity.co.uk/fatcity/sho...sp?itemid=2123

This was HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE on housier/broken beat dancefloors.

I&#39;m packing my back tonight for tomorrow&#39;s HF&amp;S session so I&#39;ll drop some records of floor fillers I might have.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 21 2004,10:55)]Current floorfillers for me:
                  OLD:
                  Salsoul Orcherstra - Getaway (Salsoul) (the one disco record guaranteed to work anywhere)
                  seconded. bill tipped this one and it even filled the floor at Hot, Funky And Sweaty. forget the artist name and just buy it. brilliant, and funky as hell.

mostly obvious but they&#39;re dancefloor classics for good reason&#33;
                  stevie wonder - i wish
                  bobby byrd - i know you got soul
                  jackson sisters - i believe in miracles
                  doris - beatmaker (slow but ace, works everywhere)
                  nilsmen - le winston (hip hoppers love the slower flip too)
                  sugarbear johnson - when your jones come down (wicked disco-y funk 45 from 1980)
                  sammy davis - for once in my life (wicked funky version off cheapo TV show OST)
                  http://www.blaxploitation.com
                  Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (theeman @ Jan. 21 2004,11:23)]
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 21 2004,10:55)]Current floorfillers for me:
                    OLD:
                    seconded. bill tipped this one and it even filled the floor at Hot, Funky And Sweaty. forget the artist name and just buy it. brilliant, and funky as hell.
                    ...and the basis (well, either this or the E,W&amp;F take) for Johnny Pearson&#39;s &#39;Heavy Action&#39; (aka &#39;The Theme From Superstars&#39 if you ask me.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 21 2004,11:03)]RSL - Wesley music. http://www.fatcity.co.uk/fatcity/sho...sp?itemid=2123

This was HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE on housier/broken beat dancefloors.

I&#39;m packing my back tonight for tomorrow&#39;s HF&amp;S session so I&#39;ll drop some records of floor fillers I might have.
                      No House/Broken Beat, Serm&#33; And no playing Wool at 11pm neither&#33; SHUT IT&#33;&#33;&#33;
                      http://wakeupanddie.com
                      http://weirdgearnyc.com
                      http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

hahahahaha -   gets a slapdown &#33;

which Wool track are you prone to play after a bellyfull of       ? ? ?
                        If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Jan. 21 2004,12:42)]which Wool track are you prone to play after a bellyfull of       ? ? ?
                          &#39;Love Love Love&#39; would be OK no ? I guess it shows how much I know about DJ-ing then
                          Matt Hero

Comment

When I have ever played wool? (Oh yeah I remember - At little barrie?)

I wasn&#39;t gonna bring broken beat gear mate. Ive turned up to bars/clubs and played the &#39;correct&#39; music before...Well everyone liked it in the pink coconut anyways...

Comment

shirley ellis - handclapping song (cheaps as chips and everyone loves it)
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X