Missing covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing covers

there was a thread on soulstrut to this effect, but I thought I'd start one here because I don't go on there...

Anybody got old covers without records? I've got some records without covers.... More precisely I need a cover for Dr. John (Gris Gris), and one for Blue Beat Special on Coxsone, and one for Ginger Johnson and his African Messengers....

What do people think of buying records without covers? some people won't do it, but I don't care, it makes it cheaper and if its rare enough you might not see it again, cover or not...

I'm just surprised how often I end up with the wrong record in the sleeve. probably means I'm too busy checking he quality of the vinyl. Though the few times its happened its usually the same label so its a pressing plant screw up and it I see an atlantic label which is what I expect I don't always check what it says.
    Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

I'd rather find a record without its cover than the cover without the record (or the wrong record in the cover). That's really frustrating. I recently found an obscure 70s TV themes LP I've never seen before (including the "Catweazle" theme)...or so I thought. On checking the vinyl the wrong record was in there. I went through every last lp in the shop (about 500 of the blighters) and still didn't find it Took me weeks to get over that one.

btw I've got the cover for "Blue Beat Special"... with the record inside. The cover's pretty mashed up - bits of it have been coloured in by the previous owner. When I got it, it had staples holding it together. Why couldn't those rudeboys and skinheads look after their stuff a bit better for us eh?
      Endless Tripe

Comment

Yes, the mind boggles looking at some records... what were they doing to them? I mean, I actually consider a record pretty resilient, and when I look at what my parents did to their records (let alone the condition of most reggae vinyl), I can't really imagine how they can have got them so fucked. My thesis is that they took them to parties without the covers, all got drunk and stoned and dropped them on the floor and danced on them and spilt drink on them and threw them around and stuff. Not so different from what I do, really, but I try not to actually kill the records while I do it.

Comment

I've bought several records without sleeves (actually, generally speaking the shops have *given* them to me when they've seen the sleeve is missing) - I got my first Purple Fox that way and I think my first Happy Monsters.

What about buying empty sleeves ? I paid a whole £1 for a UK OG of Axelrods 'Songs Of Innocence' minus record, just because the sleeve was in decent nick. You never know, one day I'll find a copy with a knackered sleeve and be able to do a decent 'cut & shut' on it.

I also have to own up to changing 45 paper sleeves in charity shops, if I see a company paper sleeve I need to rehouse something at home into an original sleeve, I will pop a 45 I want to buy in it, and buy 'em both.
          Matt Hero

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Jan. 21 2004,17:40)]I also have to own up to changing 45 paper sleeves in charity shops, if I see a company paper sleeve I need to rehouse something at home into an original sleeve, I will pop a 45 I want to buy in it, and buy 'em both.
            i'm not the only one, then.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (wooly @ Jan. 20 2004,18:43)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Matt Hero @ Jan. 21 2004,17:40)]I also have to own up to changing 45 paper sleeves in charity shops, if I see a company paper sleeve I need to rehouse something at home into an original sleeve, I will pop a 45 I want to buy in it, and buy 'em both.
              i'm not the only one, then.
              No, you're not...

But on the self-justification side, has anyone ever seen charity shop or bootsale 45s that are filed in the right sleeves to start with? I mean, if there's a CBS 45 in a Capitol sleeve, I don't see what anyone loses by switching 'em around...

So who swaps LP inner sleeves in the shop? Or puts the plastic protective covers onto the records they want to buy? Or faced with doubles, pairs up the best vinyl copy with the best-condition sleeve?

Confess, and ye shall be absolved...
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

I should add that I wouldn't remove say a CBS 45 from a CBS sleeve just to grab it form myself.... only if it was already orphaned from its original 45.
                Matt Hero

Comment

If you've ever been in a charity then you've seen hundreds of 45's with no sleeves. If you've ever been into haggle in london then you've seen THOUSANDS of 45's with no sleeves! Makes you want to cry.

Best no sleeve purchase was a slightly crackly copy of 'Affinity' on vertigo! Not bad for 10p. Booked at 80? Anyone got a spare cover?...:laugh:
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

ah yes, but - frustration aside - has anyone actually bought the cover that was minus the vinyl? why do places even bother trying to sell empty sleeves?

not because you had the vinyl and needed the sleeve for it, i mean, buying the sleeve just because it was there.... ? was sorely tempted when i came across an empty american gypsy sleeve in a charity shop recently (i walked away, though, and put the sleeve back so someone else could feel my deflation).

own up, sleeve buyers, you geek crown awaits...

Comment

ok ok - i bought a sleeve to go with my youngers tartan beer flexidisc. i&#39;d found the actual record in a pile of sleeveless flexis (shoved into one 7&quot; sleeve) and didn&#39;t even think there was a sleeve until i stumbled upon it in a charity, some months later.

Comment

Don&#39;t even get me started on flexidiscs - I once found a potentially very interesting Morecambe and Wise one for Maltesers that had the wrong record in it, and only recently I found an advert flexi for a paint company called &#39;Top Of The Paint Pops&#39;. I bet it was fantastic, but I wouldn&#39;t know &#39;cos it had a flippin&#39; Readers Digest sampler disc in there instead.

Oh, and I also saw the original paper sleeve for the promo &#39;I&#39;d like To Teach The World To Sing&#39; with the Ivor Raymonde b-side with the wrong record in it too. Grrrr.......

Comment

I have 2 records i&#39;ve been looking for sleeves for, for years.
                          Elvis : Rock n Roll #2 ~ I have a lovely HMV orig but it lacks
                          the cover and also Bowies first Lp on Phillips. When I found
                          that I thought I hit the jackpot coz i&#39;d stumbled across a copy
                          of the orig Man Who Sold The World in the &#39;dress sleeve&#39; however inside this rare sleeve was that Phillips lp DOH&#33;
                          The Garden Facebook Blog

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (son of stan @ Jan. 21 2004,17:15)]I recently found an obscure 70s TV themes LP I&#39;ve never seen before (including the &quot;Catweazle&quot; theme)...or so I thought. On checking the vinyl the wrong record was in there. I went through every last lp in the shop (about 500 of the blighters) and still didn&#39;t find it Took me weeks to get over that one.
                            I&#39;ve got a double of this LP if you&#39;re interested. There are some pretty funky themes on there with latin jazz groover &#39;Our Man In Rio&#39;, Mike Vickers&#39; classic &#39;Pegasus&#39;, and Max Harris&#39; ace orchestral funker &#39;Evil Eye&#39;.
                            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                            X