Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midweek digs

Just thought I'd share today's finds with you lot:

'Los Mismos' (Belter) - Spanish covers band do a fantastic version of the theme from 'Ironside', with lyrics en Espanol!

'Joe Harris' (Polydor) - One brilliant track, 'Je Bent Alleen (Ah! Ah! Ah&#33', a top brassy thing with heavy Hammond. The rest is all fairly run-of-the-mill Dutch pop, alas.

'Richard John Smith 1' (Bullets) South African LP by a black guy with a huge afro. No funk, but I won't be too hard on him, as living in Johannesburg in 1973 he probably had enough trouble as it is. Half decent rock number called 'Candlelight' though.

'Concerto From The Stars' - Silvetti (Hispavox) - Spanish disco piano/orchestra, some vocals, but some nice buzz flute on 'One Note Samba'

'Sounds Like Hits No 12)
    'Pick Of The Hits '72'
    'Hit Parade Special vol 3, 5 and 8' (Rediffusion) - can never have enough of these. Ever. Rediffusion's covers LPs were always top quality.

'Sounds Beautiful' 7" - Judith Chalmers and David Jacobs introduce you to the GEC Music Centre 2817, with the help of some well-chosen excerpts from the de Wolfe library. One of those records I always see about but never really bothered with, until I found out it had the de Wolfe stuff on it!

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Jan. 21 2004,17:16)]'Sounds Beautiful' 7" - Judith Chalmers and David Jacobs introduce you to the GEC Music Centre 2817, with the help of some well-chosen excerpts from the de Wolfe library.  One of those records I always see about but never really bothered with, until I found out it had the de Wolfe stuff on it!
    I picked one of these up recently, lots of nice spoken word bits on it for the mixtape.... did it make you want a GEC 2817 ? It sounds a stunning bit of kit !
    Matt Hero

Comment

did you get the freebies i sent you L.T.?
      I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Oh yes, I did (I was going to PM you about them this very moment, actually&#33 - thanks very much for those HM. Some very nice stuff in there - I'm particularly enjoying Triumvirat!

I may be able to get some steel band LPs for you soon - watch this space!

Comment

glad you liked them L.T., do you know anything about that session lp with the guy on stage from what looks like a 60'/70's rock festival? (it's also got a nice 10 sec drum break at the start of superstiton)
          I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

All I can tell you is it's a promotional LP for Clairol hair products, and the recordings are from the same source as the Windmill Parade Of Pops LPs. I have no idea who the guys on the cover are, but if they appear anywhere on that LP I'd be very surprised!

Comment

Just a few from the past week or two...Not all this lunchtime, but over the past week or so have picked up a few nice onesÂ…

The Spotnicks – Best Of The Spotnicks (Polydor)

Bo Hansson – Magician’s Hat (Charisma) [cheers to LDJB for charting this, as the Middle-Earth cover would’ve otherwise put me right off...]

Harpers Bizarre – Anything Goes (Warner Brothers) [High Coin, but also an all-round quite lovely LP...had them down as a novelty act, but actually a lot more substance here...]

Billy Preston – Everybody Likes Some Kind Of Music (A&M) [his version of Bob Dylan’s ‘It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)’ is amazing, and there are plenty of other nice cuts on here]

Mike Leander Orchestra – Migration (MCA) [I think this must be the earlier issue of the 'Together' LP, as it has the same version of 'The Letter' commended on this site]

Cal Tjader – Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof (Verve)

Cherry B Twins: Cherry B Singer Competition Flexi [highly entertaining, and a chance to win a Lambretta - if you find it in whichever 60s year it was first released in, anyway]

Al Caiola: Tuff Guitar British Style (UA) [nice twang, horn & organ takes on the likes of Heart Full Of Soul, You Really Got Me, We Gotta Get Out Of This Place etc]
              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Today

Charity shop

LP

Chicago transit authority – S/T
                Carole king – fantasy
                JOB Orquestra – open the doors to your Heart
                John Pantry – empty handed (very bad Brighton Christian rock)
                Capitol collectables 2 (pieces of a dream – rising to the top)
                Atlantic Black gold 2 – Ben e king – supernatural thing, Brook Benton – Shoes

7Â’S
                Billy Preston – Sock it rock it
                Carly Simon – no body does it better
                Roberta flack – the first time ever I saw your face
                Andy Williams – music to watch girls by
                Louis Armstrong – what a wonderful world

From the Cd shop a few doors up form dub vendor Clapham junction
                A stack of reissued/bootleg Latin LPS, Marcos vale 2 lps and others I cant remember or spell all £3 a pop worth a look, they have deck set up and you can flick through what’s there.

Others

Jimmy robins – I cant please you
                Merry Clayton – S/T

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (dimondt @ Jan. 23 2004,19:51)]Others  
                  Jimmy robins – I cant please you
                  Merry Clayton – S/T
                  Congrats on the Jimmy Robins - one of my alltime fave moddy northern R&B dancers!  I've got it on orig US, 2nd press, boot & UK President.  If I see a copy I have to have it!

I've had a fairly quiet week:
                  Ramones - Acid Eaters - tribute LP to their garage influences
                  Glen Watts - Money Gives Dignity - nice R&S 45
                  V/A - Fat Booty Breaks - some nice bits on this - I got it to mint up on a crisper sounding 'Up Up & Away' by Sammy Davis Jr but there's a wicked version of 'Hard To Handle' on there too by Eddy Mitchell. Rod Piazza'S 'Cissy Strut' is good too and Fred Ramirez doing 'Hold On I'm Coming'. They're all pretty good actually.
                  new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Working...
                  X