Genuine imitation life gazette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genuine imitation life gazette

Never knew this LP existed, but picked it up this afternoon and it's an incredible psych LP by Frankie Valli & his boys – like, doesn’t need to hang its head beside ‘Odyssey & Oracle’ or The Beach Boys at its best, really that strong. Is this well known, because I picked it up expecting a slightly embarrassing (but potentially amusing) bandwagon-jump, and got a solid four-star lounge-psych LP instead. Since it’s Bobs Crewe and Gaudio on production (and Gaudio did equally surprising work on Frank Sinatra’s ‘Watertown’ LP) are there any more out there like this? That is, great loungey soft/psych albums by unlikely candidates? Very surprised at how good this LP is. Cool sleeve, too – fold-out fake newspaper pages, with an actual gazette (complete with cartoons, small ads and the 4 Seasons in Austin Powers garb) inside the sleeve.
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

I' m also a big fan of "Genuine Imitation Life...", I think is criminally underrated...Another "Pet Sounds-Sgt Peppers" syndrome LPs I like a lot are "The further adventures of Charles Westover" by Del Shannon, "The Ark" by Chad & Jeremy, "A midsummer night.." by Mark Eric, "Love Cycle" by Forever Amber (this is just incredible, it sounds like a lo-fi version of "Oddissey & Oracle&quot...

Cheers,

Alejandro.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Jan. 22 2004,19:13)]"A midsummer night.." by Mark Eric,
      at last! someone else mentions this criminally underrated album! in my top10 all-time favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Jan. 21 2004,20:13)]I' m also a big fan of "Genuine Imitation Life...", I think is criminally underrated...Another "Pet Sounds-Sgt Peppers" syndrome LPs I like a lot are "The further adventures of Charles Westover" by Del Shannon, "The Ark" by Chad & Jeremy, "A midsummer night.." by Mark Eric, "Love Cycle" by Forever Amber (this is just incredible, it sounds like a lo-fi version of "Oddissey & Oracle&quot...

Cheers,

Alejandro.
        Cheers for the recommendations - will keep an eye open for those. Annoyingly, there are a couple of skips on the first track on my copy of 'Genuine Imitation Life...', so am now seeking a mintier copy if any Vultures can help!

I'd recommend Sinatra's 'Watertown' in this vein, especially for those who like the sort of Scott Walker school of baroque orchestral pop: a concept LP about a breakup and its aftermath set in the same US small town that is 'advertised' in the sleevenotes to 'Genuine Imitation Life Gazette', and featured in a couple of the songs, oddly enough.

Del Shannon, though? Wow, never suspected that one! And Chad & Jeremy's 'Cabbages & Kings' I know, but not 'The Ark' (they do a very nice version of 'It Was A Very Good Year' somewhere, too). Forever Amber and Mark Eric are all new on me, though: are they hard to find?

Got a 45 ('Dolls In The Clock/Pony With The Golden Mane' on MGM) by an outfit called Every Mothers Son which is in this vein, too, but don't know if there are more, or an LP to find...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (wayne @ Jan. 23 2004,13:16)]Forever Amber and Mark Eric are all new on me, though: are they hard to find?
          the OG mark eric album tends to be a bit pricey, also the japanese are really into him, so they tend to battle it out on the 'bay. RPM have re-issued the album, but it's strictly cd only from them and the re-mastering isn't all that, it's a bit "squeaky".

would be happy to tape you one.

Comment

Can i reccomend the legendary Billy Nichols lp 'Would you believe?' on Immediate?, original copies are impossible to get, but Castle Communications (i think) own the Immediate catalogue and have re issued said album on cd. Well worth your time, with it's lush, faux 'Pet Sounds' feel. It helps due to the fact that a certain Small Faces were the backing band and co-writers. And that it catches them in a more mellow mood. Another goodie to check is the recent Aerovons re-ish similar stuff but in a more Beatle like vien.
            derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (wayne @ Jan. 23 2004,13:16)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Jan. 21 2004,20:13)]I' m also a big fan of "Genuine Imitation Life...", I think is criminally underrated...Another "Pet Sounds-Sgt Peppers" syndrome LPs I like a lot are "The further adventures of Charles Westover" by Del Shannon, "The Ark" by Chad & Jeremy, "A midsummer night.." by Mark Eric, "Love Cycle" by Forever Amber (this is just incredible, it sounds like a lo-fi version of "Oddissey & Oracle&quot...

Cheers,

Alejandro.
              Cheers for the recommendations - will keep an eye open for those. Annoyingly, there are a couple of skips on the first track on my copy of 'Genuine Imitation Life...', so am now seeking a mintier copy if any Vultures can help!

I'd recommend Sinatra's 'Watertown' in this vein, especially for those who like the sort of Scott Walker school of baroque orchestral pop: a concept LP about a breakup and its aftermath set in the same US small town that is 'advertised' in the sleevenotes to 'Genuine Imitation Life Gazette', and featured in a couple of the songs, oddly enough.

Del Shannon, though? Wow, never suspected that one! And Chad & Jeremy's 'Cabbages & Kings' I know, but not 'The Ark' (they do a very nice version of 'It Was A Very Good Year' somewhere, too). Forever Amber and Mark Eric are all new on me, though: are they hard to find?

Got a 45 ('Dolls In The Clock/Pony With The Golden Mane' on MGM) by an outfit called Every Mothers Son which is in this vein, too, but don't know if there are more, or an LP to find...
              Oh man,
              I remember seeing the Mark Eric orig LP for $20-30 on psych dealers lists many years ago...But now it's just impossible to find a cheap copy...Too many japanese heads are looking for it...It's the same with the Triste Janero lp now...Anyway, it has been reissued on cd by Rev-Ola.

If you like "Off cabbages & kings", then you'll also love "the ark"...Forever Amber has been reissued on both vinyl and cd a couple of times, I've never seen an original copy for sale...

Every Mother's Son released a couple of albums, rather nice but not essential...I prefer things like the Fargo "I see it now" album, wonderful popsike.

I'll look for Sinatra's "Watertown", I've never heard it...You should try to hear Del Shannon's "Charles Westover"...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wooly @ Jan. 23 2004,13:20)]
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (wayne @ Jan. 23 2004,13:16)]Forever Amber and Mark Eric are all new on me, though: are they hard to find?
                the OG mark eric album tends to be a bit pricey, also the japanese are really into him, so they tend to battle it out on the 'bay. RPM have re-issued the album, but it's strictly cd only from them and the re-mastering isn't all that, it's a bit "squeaky".

would be happy to tape you one.
                I thought it was reissued by Rev-Ola...I forgot to mention Jan & Dean's "Save for a rainy day" album...another of my faves...

Cheers,

Alejandro.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (mundayschild @ Jan. 24 2004,23:20)]Can i reccomend the legendary Billy Nichols lp 'Would you believe?' on Immediate?, original copies are impossible to get, but Castle Communications (i think) own the Immediate catalogue and have re issued said album on cd. Well worth your time, with it's lush, faux 'Pet Sounds' feel. It helps due to the fact that a certain Small Faces were the backing band and co-writers. And that it catches them in a more mellow mood. Another goodie to check is the recent Aerovons re-ish similar stuff but in a more Beatle like vien.
                  Yeaaahhh!
                  The Billy Nichols lp is totally awesome...Apparently, it was Andrew Loog Oldham's second attempt to create a "Pet Sounds" british equivalent...First one was the unreleased Immediate '66 album, "Home & Away" Del Shannon, which is also superb but I forgot to mention in my previous post...I got a cd copy of it and it's a masterpiece, it features tracks by Billy Nichols, Twice As Much, etc. It's much more closer to "Pet Sounds" than Del's later "Charles Westover" lp, which is also great.

Cheers,

Alejandro.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (taiconderoga @ Jan. 24 2004,23:31)]I thought it was reissued by Rev-Ola...
                    ah yes, same label though, really. almost.

Comment

Are Rev-Ola still going? I thought they folded awhile back (being part of Creation and all) but maybe their catalogue was taken on elsewhere. Good catalogue, though, what with all the Yma Sumac, Martin Denny, Sunshine Company etc...

And more to look out for, obviously: I think Sundazed have reissued some of these things, too, haven't they? Sure I've seen the Jan & Dean on that label anyway, so will investigate that if I see it again. Billy Nicholls is another new one on me, though.

Oh, for a limitless bank-balance...

Comment

Working...
                      X