Ebay user suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay user suspension

Just thought I'd alert everyone to an e-mail I just received, which is a very slight variation on the Ebay User Suspension e-mail (slightly different text + graphics).

Initially it looks VERY convincing (almost had me fooled), but this is a scam (if you re-read the text there are spelling/grammar errors) - if you receive this just delete it.

Keep it real, keep it safe..
    Vibes

Dear eBay User,

We recently noticed one or more attempts to login into your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account has been hijacked by a third party user.

In order to protect your sensitive information or unauthorized listings we temporarily suspended your account for further investigations. To reactivate your account, click on the link below and confirm your identity by completing the secure form that will appear.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you.

Take our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thank you

eBay Account Theft Prevention

http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi....:sin:US

The log in attempt was made from:

IP address: 205.188.209.166

ISP host: cache-dq04.proxy.aol.com
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

I had several recently that kept telling me that if I didn't update my billing information by Jan 15th my account was goint to be shut down. Normally these things are one-offs but these kept coming and coming until on the 14th I was told I had 24 hours to update my account. Obviously this involved using a link on the email and entering my name, address and credit card details into an unencrypted page. Hmmmm.....

If anyone doesn't know this already, never ever use a link from an ebay/PayPal/etc email to enter any information regarding your account. If it's real you'll be able to do it directly from the site.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Jan. 22 2004,15:11)]never ever use a link from an ebay/PayPal/etc email to enter any information regarding your account. If it's real you'll be able to do it directly from the site.
      Also, notice that the link starts /signin.ebay.com - if it's from ebay UK it should always read .ebay.co.uk

Comment

Rather than this sort of link. arribada!!!!!

Dear valued eBay member:  

Account update:

It has come to our attention that your eBay billing updates are
        out of order. If you could please take 5-10 minutes out of your
        online experience and update your billing records you will not run
        into any future problems with the online service. However, failure
        to update your records will result in account termination. Please
        update your records by January 15th.

Once you have updated your account records your eBay session will not be
        interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in
        cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing
        problems.

To update your eBay records click here:
        http://arribada.ebay.com/saw-cgi....ditCard

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (vibra @ Jan. 22 2004,14:25)]http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi....:sin:US
          Is this one genuine though?? - the address is the same as that if you login to ebay at ebay.com. There is something where they suspend your account if they get bad attempts by someone else to log in - a neat trick to stop getting sniped/outbid (if you're that way inclined) is to try to log in as the other person until their account gets suspended - very shady.
          Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Brother Logic @ Jan. 22 2004,16:15)]
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (vibra @ Jan. 22 2004,14:25)]http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi....:sin:US
            Is this one genuine though?? - the address is the same as that if you login to ebay at ebay.com. There is something where they suspend your account if they get bad attempts by someone else to log in - a neat trick to stop getting sniped/outbid (if you're that way inclined) is to try to log in as the other person until their account gets suspended - very shady.
            The sign-in address looks all correct and proper, but apparently a third-party address is "ghosted" underneath the link.. scary stuff ain't it?!! Found a post about this one here:

http://www.firstauction.com/journal/...s/124_0_2_0_C/

Comment

yup, I've already received a couple of similar emails saying my account will be closed unless I update my personal info. that right there is a dead giveaway that it's fraudulent because ebay never asks for personal info via email. what a bunch of sneaky cunts.

Comment

i presume it's HTML email, and it works that way - the link points elsewhere while what's between the anchor tags looks like a real Ebay link. of course viewing email as text the link works fine. (yet another reason why HTML email is the work of satan)

Comment

as a rule ignore all emails from 'ebay' that request info, ALL OF THEM
                  __________________________________________________ _______________
                  Unlock your phone
                  Entertainers
                  watch footie for free
                  Cheap mp3s
                  Get back on ebay even after suspension
                  Money reading emails
                  Male entertainers
                  Improve your golf score in 2 weeks
                  Stop smoking within a week
                  Amazing paypal loophole a must for buyers and sellers

Comment

I find that a genuine e-mail from Ebay will also appear in your messages in MY EBAY and they always use your user name.

Comment

Originally posted by dagaul
                      Unlock your phone
                      Entertainers
                      watch footie for free
                      Cheap mp3s
                      Get back on ebay even after suspension
                      Money reading emails
                      Male entertainers
                      Improve your golf score in 2 weeks
                      Stop smoking within a week
                      Amazing paypal loophole a must for buyers and sellers
                      Dagaul - firstly, thank you for your helpful advice, but if you check the post dates, correspondence on this thread actually finished over 1 1/2 years ago. I don't really think there was any reason to reply to it and bring this issue up again.

Secondly, judging by your signature I question your motives for posting on this forum at all. Yo, Admin! We got a live one!

Comment

Male entertainers

Comment

Ha ha! As a rule, read the way is was written. No one writes THAT bad...
                          http://wakeupanddie.com
                          http://weirdgearnyc.com
                          http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

BIN all emails from ebay or paypal, thats how how the sargster works his shit.
                            been banned 7 times tho.
                            sweet bizniz.
                            MODZ
                            Hero No.9
                            Last edited by Col Wolfe; 09-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.
                            THERE MIGHT BE ANOTHER CRIPZ AT SOME POINT ITS HARD TO SAY

Comment

Working...
                            X