Werner muller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werner muller

I've got to write the liner notes for a CD re-issue of Werner Muller's Decca LPs 'Percussion In The Sky' and 'Wild Strings'.

I've found out all I can about him via the 'net, but the details are still a bit sketchy.

Can any of you lot give me some detailed info on him - background, where he grew up, musical education, did he do any library stuff, pseudonyms etc.

Any of the info I do use, I'll make sure VV get a big-up at the end of my note.

Many thanks for any help!
    Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Cobbled together from various sources:

Born near the Cottbuser Tor in Berlin on 8th August 1920.

Got his first violin aged 8, and gave his first public concert at 16, playing Mozart's A major concerto.

He was determined to follow a career in music, but his father wanted him to have a proper job - as a compromise he went to the Military School of Music in Buckeburg, where he learnt the trombone as a second instrument. He left after four months because 'I hate all things military', and continued his studies privately in Buckeburg and Hanover.

Began his professsional career as a violinist in the Niedersachsen Orchestra and the Schaumberg-Lippisch Landesorchester. During the war played trombone in a Berlin military band.

Post war, he joined the Kurt Wittmann orchestra as a trombonist, and did some arrangements and conducting work for RIAS.

Founded the RIAS Tanzorchester in 1948, and was its conductor until 1967, when he took over the WDR Tanzorchester.

During the 50s and early 60s, he recorded extensively for Polydor, but in 1962 recorded his first LP for Decca's new Phase 4 Stereo series (I think it was 'Percussion In The Sky', but I'd need to check this&#33.

He carried on recording for Decca well into the seventies, both as a solo artist and backing others, including France Gall and trumpeters Bob Powells and Horst Fischer.

He also appeared at the Royal Festival Hall, conducting the specially written 'Look At London' suite for the BBC's Festival Of Light Music.

Pseudonyms include Enrico Leandros and Ricardo Santos.

He died in (I think) 1999.

Can I also recommend you get in touch with David Ades at the Robert Farnon Society, who'll probably be able to put you in touch with someone with more info.

I'm really looking forward to this CD, two fantastic LPs there - is it a Vocalion job? And is there any chance of having 'The Latin Splendor Of...' on CD at any point?

Comment

Alfred Hause was another alias apparently.

David
      God bless Fatso.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Jan. 23 2004,22:35)]Cobbled together from various sources:

Born near the Cottbuser Tor in Berlin on 8th August 1920.

Got his first violin aged 8, and gave his first public concert at 16, playing Mozart's A major concerto.

He was determined to follow a career in music, but his father wanted him to have a proper job - as a compromise he went to the Military School of Music in Buckeburg, where he learnt the trombone as a second instrument. He left after four months because 'I hate all things military', and continued his studies privately in Buckeburg and Hanover.

Began his professsional career as a violinist in the Niedersachsen Orchestra and the Schaumberg-Lippisch Landesorchester. During the war played trombone in a Berlin military band.

Post war, he joined the Kurt Wittmann orchestra as a trombonist, and did some arrangements and conducting work for RIAS.

Founded the RIAS Tanzorchester in 1948, and was its conductor until 1967, when he took over the WDR Tanzorchester.

During the 50s and early 60s, he recorded extensively for Polydor, but in 1962 recorded his first LP for Decca's new Phase 4 Stereo series (I think it was 'Percussion In The Sky', but I'd need to check this&#33.

He carried on recording for Decca well into the seventies, both as a solo artist and backing others, including France Gall and trumpeters Bob Powells and Horst Fischer.

He also appeared at the Royal Festival Hall, conducting the specially written 'Look At London' suite for the BBC's Festival Of Light Music.

Pseudonyms include Enrico Leandros and Ricardo Santos.

He died in (I think) 1999.

Can I also recommend you get in touch with David Ades at the Robert Farnon Society, who'll probably be able to put you in touch with someone with more info.

I'm really looking forward to this CD, two fantastic LPs there - is it a Vocalion job? And is there any chance of having 'The Latin Splendor Of...' on CD at any point?
        Hi Guys, many thanks for the info which shall be duly included in my liner notes for the forthcoming Vocalion label release.

Lord Thames/Soundsville - if you'd like to PM me your real names, I'll make sure you are credited for your kind and generous help.

Big cheers again to both of you!

PS - Not sure about 'Latin Splendor' - I'll see what I can do!
        Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

I'll need to look in to the Alfred Hause thing - I don't know too much about him, but I always thought he was a real chap.

I would still recommend you get it touch with David Ades, though, as he is the absolute oracle on this sort of thing - he usually does the notes for the Vocalion CDs, actually!

Comment

Yes Lord Thames, I think you are right that he is a different person. I did a search and found this........

http://www.gema.de/engl/communicatio...8/ahause.shtml

David
            God bless Fatso.

Comment

Working...
            X