Weekday Finds - 9th July onwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john stapleton View Post
    I've never heard anything by The Jayhawks.... what are they like?
    90's group with a country rock/pop sound leaning towards Gram Parsons/The Byrds etc. Really great group who I think you'd appreciate.
    "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

I've never heard anything by Vic Chestnutt or The Jayhawks.... what are they like?
      Both of these Jayhawks are to replace CD copies - which are free to you, John, if you drop me a PM. The Jayhawks are noted for their perfect harmonies. Chesnutt is cut from a similar cloth, sort of a Leonard Cohen goes alt country. Poignant songs. Great friend of Michael Stipe, I believe. Good if you like songs.

The collection these came from was so encyclopedic that you I just knew that (at least) Hollywood Townhall would have been there had I got there sooner. Not to worry. Also left behind various Lambchop and Calexico albums and (I will pick this up next time I go, assuming it is still there) The Magical World of The Strands.

Vlasislav - very nice finds there, particularly that Tindersticks.

At first I bought records, then I started to collect records; now I merely accumulate records.

Comment

Doan ken noo Vic Chestnutt.
        Bur recent loikes Joey Chestnut winnit award fer ettin' maist shit innae fixid toime.
        (Sumhoo, yew culdae guessid award wuld be takin' bur Amerikain.)

Comment

Originally posted by wallace View Post
          Doan ken noo Vic Chestnutt.
          Bur recent loikes Joey Chestnut winnit award fer ettin' maist shit innae fixid toime.
          (Sumhoo, yew culdae guessid award wuld be takin' bur Amerikain.)

Beating five time time champion Takeru Kobayashi, who was carrying a "jaw injury".
          record licker

Comment

Originally posted by vladislav View Post
            Great film. The opening sequence and music is brilliant. One long tracking shot with no cuts or edits if I remember rightly

Comment

Originally posted by Payback HiFi View Post
              Great film. The opening sequence and music is brilliant. One long tracking shot with no cuts or edits if I remember rightly
              is it taken from the original release score, or is it from the Walter Murch re-edit whcih came out a few years ago - the music is quite different, especially for the opening sequence... bomb into boot of car, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                is it taken from the original release score, or is it from the Walter Murch re-edit whcih came out a few years ago - the music is quite different, especially for the opening sequence... bomb into boot of car, etc...
                Wasn't aware of this re-edit. Is it better or worse than the original cut (or just...different)?

Comment

Originally posted by alanmck View Post
                  Hi, Sleevenotes state that music composed by Henry Mancini, prepared for release by Robert Townson & Tom Hall. This is the music used in the film, no re-edits or re-touching. One of my favourite films too.
                  "Welles suggested that the emphasis should go on Afro-Cuban rhythm numbers with traditional Mexican music and the plan was to use mostly instrumental rock-and-roll, coming from places such as the radio loudspeakers, juke boxes and in particular, the radio, in the motel"
                  "What we want is musical colour, rather than movement-sustained washes of sound rather than tempestuous, melodramatic, or operatic style of scoring"
                  I think it worked really well. If anyone wants a copy? vladislav
                  Last edited by vladislav; 14-07-2007, 05:14 PM.

Comment

I've never heard anything by Vic Chestnutt or The Jayhawks.... what are they like?
                    The Jayhawks sound exactly like the song "Weekend" by the great little British band Unicorn, I mean it's uncanny.

Comment

Originally posted by Payback HiFi View Post
                      Wasn't aware of this re-edit. Is it better or worse than the original cut (or just...different)?
                      here is some info relating to the reissue of the film

Comment

Originally posted by piglit'n'rolf View Post
                        and (I will pick this up next time I go, assuming it is still there) The Magical World of The Strands.
                        Whoa...you really should pick that up! I just paid £25 for the privilege and I was happy to pay that amount....classic LP. Hope it was still there for you.
                        "Don't get involved in the f**kin' chat pages. It's just full of arseholes talkin' sh*te non-stop"

Comment

Lunchtime browse through three charity shops yielded these albums and singles, all in superb condition, just home so haven't played any of them yet. Chuffed with the singles. vladislav

Richard Tee - Natural Ingredients (CBS Promo) Picked this up as Tom Scott, Valerie Simpson, Randy Brecker all appear on it and then I saw its produced by Bob James.
                          V/A - Ultimate Girl Groups (Goldmine)
                          Be Bop Preservation Society (Dawn) Charlie Parker tunes
                          Walker Brothers - Take It Easy (Philips) Another copy within a week, this one is in superb condition.

Comment

Edit. Completely the wrong thread!
                            Last edited by amidar; 24-05-2015, 12:39 PM. Reason: moron
                            Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Originally posted by amidar View Post
                              Edit. Completely the wrong thread!
                              Dreaming of a time when there used to be lots of records to find?

Comment

After today and yesterdays car boot excursions definitely Yes.

Originally posted by candiman View Post
                                Dreaming of a time when there used to be lots of records to find?
                                Mixes, Music: https://www.mixcloud.com/amitron_7/

Music: https://blackmoofou.bandcamp.com/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL1...bw92ZSjvLMZKlQ

Latest Infant Project: https://soundcloud.com/bcmf

Comment

Working...
                                X