Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity shopping

Bought a real mixed bag today covering most genres:

Deep Heat 1 + 2 + 3 - 80's House and Rap comps. Only really wanted Voodo Ray then thought what the hell for 30p each.

Soul to Soul - Club Classics Vol 1

Marrs - Pump up the Volume - Double

Cry Sisco - Afrodizziact - No idea what this or why I bought it?

Dusty Springfield - Star Dusty

The Beach Boys - Bug-In - Great pic of a Beach Buggy on cover

The Who - Tommy - Double

Tony Miles - Miles From Nowhere - Private Press Austrailian folk lp with beautiful cover and booklet. Long shot but any know anything about this?

Lot of 23 Jazz Lp's feat Monk,Gerry Mulligan, Ellington, Mingus Roach, Errol Garner, Sonny Rollins,Mccoy Turner, Joe Pass, Ray Bryant, Phil Woods, Buddy Rich, Lloyd Ryan, Donald Byrd, Horace Silver, Dizzy Gillespie, Carmen Mcrae, Ernestine Anderson, Blossom Dearie, Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins.
    Most of these will probably be too straight for my tastes but you never know. At at 50p each you can't go wrong!

Ike + Tina Turner - Workin' Together - not heard their version of Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter before!

Chico Lopez - Fiesta - Trouble spot is awesome! - Double

Great Action Film Themes - Not seen this one before, versions of Mr Tibbs, Fist of Fury, Shaft, Enter the Dragon, etc

Ten Wheel Drive - Construction number 1 - Really good funky rock - Double.

Lighthouse - Best of - One fine Morning is still one of my fav. tunes - Double.

Jimi Hendrix - The Wild One, What'd I Say, Moods - I hope that there are some funky moments on these early Hendrix recordings.

Kellee Patterson - Let Go, Let Go - Attracted by the label, Shadybrook, which hasn't didappointed me in the past.

The Kings Singers - Captain Noah - Breaks - Double

Gentleman and their Ladies - Party Time - Anyone know anything about this lp on Contempo, pretty funky in places.

Azymuth - S/T - Rare Jap pressing of this awesome Brazillian fusion lp.

Absolute Elsewhere - In Search of Ancient Gods - Mad lp exploring the idea that the ancients were infact aliens! Loads of braeks and moogy moments - double.

Johnny Harris - Movements - Nice to end witha classic, mint original copy of this awesome lp - double.

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Col Wolfe @ Jan. 24 2004,18:05)]I went to the small town of Diss today:
    you lucky sod , whenever i go to diss, i usually find jack sh*t, shame revolution records doesn't have much second hand vinyl anymore.
    I want to go to the land of ooog!

Comment

Stepped out to wackney's finest and found naff all. haha.

Ella Fitzgerald - Things ain't what they used to be. - This might be an 80's repress cos its stone mint. From '71 anyways. Great groovy big band cover of 'Sunny'. 'Mas que nada' & 'Heard it through the grapevine' are ok. The rest is pish.

Hammond Goes Pop Country - Never seen this one before...Oh boy its bad.

And from ebay.

Benjamin OST. - Been after this for years (Thanks the-E-Man for the tip&#33 and one came up on the bay for peanuts. Huge funky rock with drums right up there in the mix. Even a bit of hammond too. Awesome.
      www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Ella later did a duet of &#39;Sunny&#39; with Tom Jones on his TV series, using a slightly better version of the same arrangement - it&#39;s brilliant.

Bought a whole pile of discs today, of which the best were:

&#39;The Dance Band Of The Black Watch Swings Into the Seventies&#39; (EMI Hong Kong) - as mentioned recently by LDJB, has the great instro cover of the Younger&#39;s Tartan track &#39;Meet Up Here&#39;. If you&#39;re reading this, LDJB, is your copy of this a Hong Kong pressing too? There were two copies of it in the shop, for some reason.

&#39;Singing Explosion&#39; - the Les Humphries Orchestra and Chorus (Decca) - by far the best LP I&#39;ve ever heard by Les (and I bought four different ones today&#33 Great drums, a break on &#39;Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye&#39; and a really good funky 2001 rip-off called &#39;Mandrake&#39;.

&#39;Todo Tiene Su Fin&#39; - Modulos (Hispavox) - Interesting Spanish group, with some nice organ, and a couple of weird Beatles covers (&#39;Yesterday&#39; and &#39;Hello Goodbye&#39;.

&#39;Dansons Avec Les Fingers&#39; - Les Fingers (Festival) - A French Shadows-type combo with one of the best band names ever&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ] If you&#39;re reading this, LDJB, is your copy of this a Hong Kong pressing too?
          Actually yes - it is&#33; Despite the fact I found it in Perth, the town where they are actually stationed - in a strange case of VV synchonicity I scored the flexi version today.
          Keep an eye out for their other LP as it has a tasty version of Spinning Wheel on it.
          "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Only the one LP this weekend, but a fine one: &#39;A Taste Of Zack Laurence&#39; on DJM/Silverline, featuring the awesome &#39;Mississipi Delta&#39; and plenty more besides...

Enough for one week, then...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

i asked before, and no-one answered - is that the same as the Bobbie Gentry track?

not a bad weekend - did the Walthamstow ones. finally found the Klaus Wunderlich &#39;Summertime&#39; among others, plus doubles of &#39;Well Kept Secret&#39; etc. no Big Jims though. about 30 records in total i think, plus some promising tips from chatting up charity shop ladies (although not in the llmod Mills &amp; Boon kind of way...)

Comment

Zack Laurence&#39;s &#39;Misissippi Delta&#39; is indeed a fantastically funky orchestral version of Ms Gentry&#39;s fantastically funky song...

Nice to see the Walthamstow charities aren&#39;t being neglected in my absence, too...

Can I add that I did find a few Big Jim LPs at the weekend, too, but being cash-strapped left them behind. Was the &#39;Organises Yesterday&#39;s Hits&#39; (with the funky &#39;Guatanemera&#39 the Red one various people were lacking?  If so I&#39;ll nab it for someone next weekend if it&#39;s still there.

The other thing I left was a copy of &#39;Sesame Street Fever&#39; with &#39;C Is For Cookie&#39; on it, because I found the sleeve, searched the box for the vinyl, and found it...in two pieces. Never seen it before, either...
                a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Ah, Sesame Street Fever - one of the best album covers ever&#33;

And lucky you for finding the Zack Laurence - never seen one......

Comment

Did you walthamstow on saturday then mike? I was a bit hungover (still...)
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Blimey&#33;, i keep seeing that Zack Laurence lp, Si&#39;, if i see one it&#39;s yours baby&#33;.
                      derelicts of dialect

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (wayne @ Jan. 26 2004,17:14)]Can I add that I did find a few Big Jim LPs at the weekend, too, but being cash-strapped left them behind. Was the &#39;Organises Yesterday&#39;s Hits&#39; (with the funky &#39;Guatanemera&#39 the Red one various people were lacking?  If so I&#39;ll nab it for someone next weekend if it&#39;s still there.
                        Matt&#39;s after one.

Comment

i&#39;m after one too if anyone sees another. really must must must type in my huge (but mostly crap) trade/freebie pile this week

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (llmod1 @ Jan. 24 2004,17:22)]Ike + Tina Turner - Workin&#39; Together - not heard their version of Funkier than a Mosquito&#39;s Tweeter before&#33;
                            Pay attention at the back - I played that at the Brillo before last. Nice to know you were listening.   And try &#39;Game Of Love&#39; on that LP - the last thing I played before stepping out of the house this morning (but I&#39;d be worried if you&#39;d heard that...).
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 27 2004,11:55)]Pay attention at the back - I played that at the Brillo before last. Nice to know you were listening.
                              I was listening Rich.. top tune. So what else did you play?
                              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X