Funky Folk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funky Folk

I like funk and I like folk and reading that Merit Hemmingson piece got me thinking how I need lots of funky folk tunes in my life. Anyone got any good recommendations?

Well, that East of Eden 'Jig-A-Jig' 45 (on Deram)recommended last month is certainly hitting the spot for me at the mo - it's unbelievable, and cheap too!

Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Roundtable 'Spinning Wheel' LP...its a flippin belter!!!! check the archived LDJB charts-a review might still be in there... super-funky 'Scarborough Fair' anyone??? yes please!!!!

Comment

i'll second chris on that one - it also comes recommended by Jonny Trunk (was on their recommendations recently) and John Stapleton. there are millions of funky folk things especially from late 60s... mail jonny through the trunk records site, he's got some superb ones...
        http://www.blaxploitation.com
        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

there's a little-known album by jeff monn called "reality" on vanguard, which i would recommend.

Comment

I like Bonnie Dobson's 'Winter's Going' off her self-titled LP - the best tune that Axelrod never made. I remember playing it for Oli at Casbah years ago and he even nicked my description of it for his lists! Definitely one to pick up when you see it cheap.

Also 'Today' from Shawn Phillips' LP 'Rumplestiltskin's Resolve'.

Can't beat a flagon of mead and some dark beats.

Benicio
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Lee's description of the Roundtable album reminds me of the
              Bacharach Baroque album by the 18th Century Corporation (Byronic dandy being fed grapes by bear-chested maiden on the sleeve). I'm not sure that folk funk is the correct description... but you do get pastoral versions of Burt classics by a traditional chamber orchestra consisting of classical guitar, recorder, strings, harpsichord, electric bass and huge drums.
              Somebody else's verdict was "I'm sure that was a good joke back in the seventies", but I like it.
              It ain't shakey

Comment

#### my spelling. The maiden is bare chested and not some kind of were-creature
                It ain't shakey

Comment

oh yeah, i like that one too. (yet another record i bought without noticing the nudey sleeve). bizarrely there's two 'Bacharach Baroque' albums, the second's a US one by 'The Renaissance'. also quite nice, one is more 'authentic' sounding than the other, but i forget which way round.

Comment

Crazy Beat have a copy of the Spinning Wheel LP, at least they did the last few times I've been in there.

I've just picked up a copy of the Air LP on Embryo - thats nice in a jazzy funk way, I suppose you could say 'Mr Man' is folkish.

Funnily enough the copy I got is a uk issue with Embryo on the sleeve and atlantic on the disc. Anyone konow about this? I didn't think it had been released in the uk...
                    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

yep - I've got a UK copy of that one. A mate of mine has a UK issue of the Barbara and Ernie lp - now that is weird. Other weird ones (I think anyway)- both Eugene McDaniels, Archie Whitewater, Fifty Foot Hose... what were they thinking?
                      We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

I got a shady looking comp from Professor Plastic recently - "Folk Funk Flavours" - you know the score, no barcode, no details, not even a bloody label! etc. - but it's very good. Top picks for me are:

Tony Joe White - Soul Francisco
                        Bob Darin - Me & Mr Hohner (yes THAT Bobby Darin)
                        The Hassles - 4 O'Clock in the Morning
                        Christine McVie - Keep on Going (what's this from 'cos it aint on the Christine Perfect lp?)

It's a good 'un if you don't mind the dubious legality
                        "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

</span>
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]Quote: from john stapleton on 8:51 pm on April 1, 2003
                          yep - I've got a UK copy of that one. A mate of mine has a UK issue of the Barbara and Ernie lp - now that is weird. Other weird ones (I think anyway)- both Eugene McDaniels, Archie Whitewater, Fifty Foot Hose...  what were they thinking?
                          <span =''>

What's that Fifty Foot Hose LP like, John? I remember reading about it on Julian Cope's site. BTW, is Ultima Thule in Leicester easy to find (sorry to hijack the thread, but I know John's been!)? Grimsby are away at Leicester on Saturday and I need some records to anaesthetise the pain of watching Grimsby lose.
                          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

</span>
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from ladyboygrimsby on 10:45 pm on April 1, 2003
                            </span>
                            Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from john stapleton on 8:51 pm on April 1, 2003
                            yep - I've got a UK copy of that one. A mate of mine has a UK issue of the Barbara and Ernie lp - now that is weird. Other weird ones (I think anyway)- both Eugene McDaniels, Archie Whitewater, Fifty Foot Hose...  what were they thinking?
                            <span =''>

What's that Fifty Foot Hose LP like, John? I remember reading about it on Julian Cope's site. BTW, is Ultima Thule in Leicester easy to find (sorry to hijack the thread, but I know John's been!)? Grimsby are away at Leicester on Saturday and I need some records to anaesthetise the pain of watching Grimsby lose.
                            <span =''>
                            personally I love the 50ft hose lp - a bit like Beth Gibbons singing with a bunch of musicians from jefferson airplane and suicide - a bit like a freakier version of the united states of america lp - worth it!
                            If you're in Leicester, I'd recommend a trip to Boogaloo (above the wedding dress shop in the shopping centre) - he's always worth a look...
                            We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Personally, I boycott Boogaloo records! I don't rate his turnover of stock and I once heard him refer to Emile Heskey (when he was a Leicester player) as 'another nigger'. So, I don't particularly want to give that man my money.

Ultima Thule is great. Very much hit and miss depending on what day you go in (as with all 2nd hand vinyl emporia) but I remember getting the Michael Bundt LP, Neil Ardley's 'Harmony of the Spheres' and Janne Schaffer's 2nd Lp on the same day and having change from £20. Well worth a peek. Basically, you're at Leicester train station, as you exit the main doors turn left (away from the City Centre) and walk past the taxi rank and out of the station that way. Ultima Thule is facing you from that exit. They don't have a lot of stock, a lot of vinyl reissues and CDs, but some OG vinyl thrown in so it won't take you long. Then you can head back into town and do Boogaloo if you must, then try Archer's who open up their vinyl floor on Saturday only, I can't remember the name of the street, but it's the main shopping road with The Shires and HMV etc on it, just keep walking after HMV (but on the other side of the road) and you'll stumble on it.

I've never looked on Leicester market on a Saturday so I couldn't tell you what's on it, but weekdays Tues/Thurs especially there's a few vinyl dealers.

Happy hunting in the East Midlands!

Benicio
                              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X