Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOWNY
    replied
    I've always considered John Blairs - Mystical Soul LP to be kind of funky folk (well he plays the Violin &#33. Couple of great tracks on there and a scarce LP IMO. Arranged & conducted by Bob James

Leave a comment:

• Blighty
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Also, it is equally clear that there are still so many artists waiting to be discovered who made fantastic folk inspired funk music which has'nt the same persuasive hold on the funk collectors market simply because of it's tempo.
    That just reminded me of one of my own 'discoveries' which is 'Pretty Polly' by Judy Collins which is funky in the downtempo style and really nice and not too hard to find. Stephen Stills and Van Dyke Parks play on this track too. Actually the accoustic guitar intro bears an uncanny resemblance to The Fugee's 'Vocab' off their first album so I guess I can't really claim I 'discovered' it.

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (emperor tomato ketchup @ 07 May 2003,10:53)]My Dad had "Mystery To Me" on LP when i was a kid and the cover gave me the creeps.
    Yes, the cover is shocking. Whatever possessed them (cocaine)?

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    My Dad had "Mystery To Me" on LP when i was a kid and the cover gave me the creeps.

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ 01 April 2003,21:15)]<p>Tony Joe White - Soul Francisco
    Bob Darin - Me & Mr Hohner (yes THAT Bobby Darin)
    The Hassles - 4 O'Clock in the Morning
    Christine McVie - Keep on Going (what's this from 'cos it aint on the Christine Perfect lp?)<p>It's a good 'un if you don't mind the dubious legality
    I'm not sure why 'Keep On Going' is credited to Christine McVie, because I have exactly the same tune on Fleetwood Mac's Mystery To Me LP. In fact, it was a nice surprise finding it on there, since I actually bought it for the Balearic tune on the flipside, 'Hypnotised' (which is also ace).

Leave a comment:

• La-Soul-Fiend
    replied
    Just caught this thread and there is'nt that much to add here, concentrating on the obvious and fairly accessible joints out there which can feasibly fit the category, but I would mention the following:

Shawn Phillips "Collaboration" on A&M
    Shawn Phillips "Contribution" & "Second Contribution" on A&M
    Limousine "S/T" on GSF
    Kathy Smith First LP [can't find mine, so unsure of label???]

some Jayson Lindh and one which received some attention a few years back in London town, possibly due to Giles Peterson dropping it on his legendary Sunday radio spot on Kiss, the wonderful Joni Mitchell and her "Court and Spark" LP for the cut "Help Me". I worship Joni anyway and feel her music, like any other truly inspired artist's music, transcends any need for genre definitions and so becomes simply, great music!
    And whilst we are on this path, does Jose Feliciano fit into the Folk Funk category as his music is obviously inspired by folk and certainly has the funk in check?

For top shelf gear, you cannot fail with these guys, [can you?]

Eugene Mcdaniels
    Barbara & Ernie
    Fifty Foot Hose
    Archie Whitewater

.....and the awe inspiring Christine Harwood, whose LP I have always treated as the Gospel of Folk Funk, although I prefer to call it Soul. If this LP is anything at all, it is deeply soulful.

I think that after the dust settled on this particular cross-over genre a few years ago, it encouraged me to listen to a lot of my collection differently, picking up inflections of the funk where I never did before. It is evident now that there are so many funk artists we already know and love who managed to sneak in a few wonderful folk infused moments on their LP's but we just gotta dig them out to re-discover and re-assess their value. Also, it is equally clear that there are still so many artists waiting to be discovered who made fantastic folk inspired funk music which has'nt the same persuasive hold on the funk collectors market simply because of it's tempo. This is very good news to all of us but it carries with it the same labours as does anything else, in researching and digging up stuff of potential interest. I guess for me, the best thing has been turning up new stuff by accident rather than bagging those titles which are found on everybody's wants lists. Finally, I think it's important to say that Folk Funk can appear on the most unlikey records, like a straight up Jazz LP or on the flip of some crusty rock 45. All in all, it's really quite hopeful that this crossover genre will be very well represented in the years to come as we learn to return to our records and re-appraise what lies between their grooves.

Leave a comment:

• emperor tomato ketchup
    replied
    I really liked the Make Music and As We Travel comps so well done on those. And a third volume you say - why that would be something I'd buy in a shot.

So why kinda stuff didn't make it to the final cut?

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    [quote]Quote: from Blighty on 12:03 pm on April 2, 2003
    anyone know about 'Wilma Reading - Take a Closer Look at.... [Pye 1974]'? Apparently there's a funky folky track on there.

I got this today and it is shit. Avoid!

Leave a comment:

• Motown67
    replied
    </span>
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Benicio Del Toffo on 3:10 pm on April 2, 2003
    Resident Funkadelic fanatic here:

'Can You Get To That?' is from the mighty Maggot Brain LP.

Buy more Funkadelic. Actually, maybe Ruth Copeland's 'I Am What I Am' LP could pass as folk/metal/funk? Top work from Tiki Fulwood!

Benicio
    <span =''>

RUTH COPELAND
    I Am What I Am (Invictus 71)
    Ruth Copeland had some bizarre history behind her musical career. She was an English Blues singer who married Motown producer Jeff Bowen. Bowen left Motown for Holland-Dozier-HollandÂ’s Invictus label and introduced Copeland to them, where she did a brief recording stint with a group called New Play. Then she met George Clinton of all people and helped write and produce ParliamentÂ’s first album Osimium. Most of Parliament then recorded CopelandÂ’s first two albums, Self-Portrait and I Am What I Am. A blow-up between Clinton and his band, led them to leave him and back-up Copeland full time. While touring with Sly Stone, she began introducing herself as Funkadelic which pissed off Sly so much he told her to stop, which led her to fire Eddie Hazel, Bernie Worrell and company. After that she would fade away from the musical spotlight. I Am What I Am sports a fold out cover with Copeland in a skimpy neo-Native American outfit and mixes Blues, Folk, Funk, Soul and Hard Rock. Medal has a mellow beginning with Copeland singing a lament about her man being killed in a war (Vietnam I assume) backed by Worrell on piano before Hazel starts blazing away with some Rock guitar for the rest of the tune as Copeland makes an anti-war statement. Crying Has Made Me Stronger is a Gospel song. Then she gets a little lyrically out there with Hare Krishna, where she claims that people are all the same and that we need love, and that we all have different names for the same God, but then the chorus and title is Hare Krishna? A universal religion of love called Hare Krishna? OK Ruth, whatever you say. The real reason to get I Am What I Am is the superbly named Suburban Family Lament that starts off with a drum break and has some wicked vocals by Copeland supported by the guitar work of Hazel, psychedelic Rock-Funk? ThereÂ’s also a really slow drum break on a cover of the StonesÂ’ Play With Fire, and DonÂ’t You Wish You Had (What You Had When You Had It) is some slow, grinding ish with a thumping bass.

RUTH COPELAND
    Self Portrait (Invictus 71)
    What the fuck is up with Ruth Copeland and sexy outfits? On I Am What I Am sheÂ’s got a skimpy neo-Native American top on. On the back of Self Portrait, sheÂ’s got one of THE shortest skirts IÂ’ve ever seen with cuts on the sides on. I donÂ’t think she could move in that thing without showing something. Ms. Copeland was an English Blues singer who got involved with Parliamentfunkadelic. She helped write and produce ParliamentÂ’s Osimium album, and the band helped her record both of her first two records, Self Portrait and I Am What I Am. The album gets off to a very slow start with a spoken word Prologue and then a mellow folksy song called Child Of The North. Some funky Rock comes in on Thanks For the Birthday Card where Copeland gets to show off her vocals. Next up is Music Box thatÂ’s a poppy song, but has a nice breakdown in the middle with some heavy drums and Copeland crying over them. The funky Rock sound comes back on the aptly titled I Got A Thing For You Daddy thatÂ’s led by the guitar.

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    Just emerging from a heap of old mid 60s - mid 70s Polish records (on Muza &amp; Pronit labels) I recently found, &amp; there seems to be a pattern in the groovier pop material for a heavy folk influence, but played &amp; produced like soul/go-go/jazz/easy, whatever: if you see them around, I'd highly recommend Maryla Rodowicz (hard to define, but great tracks like 'Wolves chasing The sheep' and 'Hindu Couplets'), Urszula Sipinska (great versions of 'One More flower Blooms And dies', 'By The time a Thousand Roses Are in Bloom') and Ali Babki (a group - 'Sun Loafing In The Clouds' will take your ears off, I swear!, and they make songs about farmwork very groovy indeed). That's out of a random charity shop batch: there's a fantastic Polish pop comp waiting to happen if they're at all representative of what else is out there... Guess it was to do with the need to justify using western pop forms to censors, which was done by blending them with approved Eastern folk, but the results are often pretty #### fine to my ears...

And I take my hat off to John Stapleton for the very fine 'Soul Food' comp...well (&amp; regularly) played, sir!

(Edited by wayne at 12:48 am on April 3, 2003)

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    </span>
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from LDJB on 10:38 pm on April 2, 2003
    Has anyone mentioned Richie Havens yet? &quot;1983&quot; is a superb LP with a few funky moments.
    <span =''>
    I tried licensing the amazing 'what about me' for the last Harmless lp I did, but Universal (who own his catalogue) &quot;couldn't confirm they had the rights&quot;, even though they released a best of two years ago....doh!

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    track listings for 'Make Music' and 'As We Travel':
    Make Music:
    Rena Sinakin 'Make Music'
    Linda Lewis 'Reach for the truth'
    Peddlers 'I have seen'
    Christine Perfect 'And that's saying a lot'
    Bill Withers 'You'
    Barbara and Ernie 'Play with fire'
    Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66 'For what it's worth'
    Minnie Riperton 'Les fleur'
    Isley Brothers 'Work to do'
    Shuggie Otis 'Aht of my hed'
    Bonnie Dobson 'Milk and honey'
    Al Wilson 'The dolphins'
    Odyssey 'Our lives are shaped by what we love'

'As we travel':
    Shuggie Otis 'Strawberry letter 23'
    Lyn Christopher 'Take me with you'
    Isley Brothers 'Love the one you're with'
    Funkadelic 'Can you get to that'
    Sinto 'Right on brother'
    Jose Feliciano 'Golden lady'
    Terry Callier 'You goin' miss your candyman'
    Sandie Shaw 'Your time is gonna come'
    American Gypsy 'Golden ring'
    Nancy Priddy 'You've come this way before'
    Bugsy 'As we travel'
    Meters 'Birds'

I'm working on a third volume at the moment - trying to trace some stuff is so hard (and the people I work with won't touch anything that isn't 100% legal) - sometimes it's tempting just to go 'f**k it' and put a bootleg out...I'd love to do a legal reissue of the Christine Harwood, but can't find any trace of the label after 32 years...

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Has anyone mentioned Richie Havens yet? &quot;1983&quot; is a superb LP with a few funky moments.

Also &quot;Pride&quot; by Pride - that one by Axelrod's lad - now that's funky folk (I think).

Leave a comment:

• Hadrian Elephant
    replied
    Cool John!

I'd be interested in hearing those....

Can you give us a taster of some of them?

Leave a comment:

• john stapleton
    replied
    If I ever get my record deck fixed....I've got a whole bunch of folky funky bits that Harmless couldn't license for the two albums I did. I'll have to run up one of those DCR's you all talk about...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X