Postage smostage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postage smostage

Ok - A seller in the US I purchased a record from on the bay is trying to charge $18.00 shipping for 1 LP. Now I'm sure you'll agree with my feeling that's a bit steep, so I queried it. He tells me he's adding no handling charge, but he does add insurance and bulks up his packages to make them secure so they may be a bit heavy.

So I ask him to take off the insurance, how much then? He tells me $15. Still a tad pricey I reckon. So I ask him how much for surface mail - bizarrely, he tells me that it's $23.00. How can that be, when global priority post (4-6 days) is apparently $19.00?

Can someone put me straight here - how much should 1 LP from the states really cost? I assumed around $10 was more like it.. but he's told me there's no way he can send it for that amount.
    Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

I think a fair price is $12, which should include money for buying decent mailers. I always check out how much they've actually paid on the mailer and I don't think I've ever seen more than $12 and often as little as $8.50.
    http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 26 2004,17:41)]I think a fair price is $12, which should include money for buying decent mailers. I always check out how much they've actually paid on the mailer and I don't think I've ever seen more than $12 and often as little as $8.50.
      That's what I assumed. And surface mail should obviously be less. I'll probably just pay him the $15 I guess..
      Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Vibra

He is looking at the PARCEL POST RATE for the $15.

Tell him you want the Airmail Letter Post Rate
        Actual cost on that should be $11.00
        for 1 Pound 5 Ounces

Jack

Comment

Jack, not sure whether you are right.
          It doesn't seem off to me.
          Postage for one album from the US to the UK is frequently $12. Add insurance, mailer or handling and you are easily at $18.
          You have three choices in the US:
          Letter airmail, 4-6 days, (cheap but not possible to insure)
          Express mail, 2-3 business days (fast, expensive but including insurance)
          Recent example for a $70 seven inch I sold to a guy in Japan:
          Airmail letter: $4, Express mail: $17.00

And, unbelievable but true, the Surface mail option would have been more expensive than Express mail (I think it was $23). Don't ask me why.

Comment

$12.00 vs $11.00

Who cares. It's not terribly important (at least to me)

Insurance wouldn't bo so good as the SENDER is the 1 who has
            to deal with the USPS to get YOUR money refunded
            and they (USPS) have told me the minimum amout of time
            for a refund is a whopping 1 year.

USPS = United States Postal Service

If you get it shipped Registered, add $7.50 on top of actual postage costs.

But then again, that will alert the thieves
            andwill slow down the delivery time a lot.

I rarely get Registered anymore.
            Minimum delivery time from France is generally 3 weeks
            for airmail ! If I get it Registered, add at least 2 more weeks
            for airmail !!

GOOD LUCK !

Jack

Comment

shipping seems a bit more expensive now, used to be $9 a while back, for airmail. a seller told me its cus of the weak dollar, i guess thats true.

Comment

Working...
              X