Sound paintings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound paintings

I am not sure whether a lot of people here listen to commercially available mixtapes.  Did anyone hear DJ Format's  "jumping on the mixtape bandwagon" ?

In the last part of the CD he is again and again using skits from a recording (an actual record by the sound of it) with a guy pretending to walk the listener through an "sound museum". The speaker introduces and comments on "sound paintings" by different artists.
    Of course, Format plays his own selection, rather then whatever sound was on the original record.

Any idea where he took these skits from?

Haven't heard DJ Format, but the description sounds like a track by Ken Nordine off of his first Word Jazz LP.

http://www.hipsurgerymusic.com/Nordine/

Lyrics:

http://lyricspost.com/n/nordine-ken/...und-museum.php

Comment

I think djoes is right. It's the same guy who Lemon Jelly sampled on their first LP. He's a genius, in my book.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

That's the fella. I've heard that skit on dozens of mixtapes, from young DJ's wanting guest slots at the club an'all.

I wonder why?

Comment

Just wondering that this weekend - is Ken Nordine the same guy who's narrating the Ray Bradbury 'Marionettes Inc.' track on DJ Food and DK's Solid Steel CD?

Format's mix is pretty enjoyable but the 'abstract' stuff at the end seems a little out of place and just seems to peter out. Anyone have a tracklisting (there's two tracks in particular from the b-boy breaks that I'm after knowing)? Cheers...
          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 28 2004,11:14)]Just wondering that this weekend - is Ken Nordine the same guy who's narrating the Ray Bradbury 'Marionettes Inc.' track on DJ Food and DK's Solid Steel CD?
            Isn't that Leonard Nimoy? Or am I getting confused? I only have a CD-R of that mix and I haven't listened to it in a while.

Comment

Okay, so I had a listen last night - the two tracks I'd like to ID are...

The one right after Electric Indian's 'Heard Through The Grapevine'. For those of you who haven't heard the mix it sounds like Johnny Mann or Elvis and the chorus is along the lines of 'I have but one life to live...'.

The second is right before the 'Soul Struttin'' track. And, for viewers in black and white, sounds like Ballin' Jack with a chorus about 'Carrying a heavy load/Running on down the road'.

Anyone?

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]The second is right before the 'Soul Struttin'' track. And, for viewers in black and white, sounds like Ballin' Jack with a chorus about 'Carrying a heavy load/Running on down the road'.
                Not heard this mix but that sounds like it could be "Walkin' Down the Road" by L.A. (formerly the Love Affair) - is there a nice flute line on it? It's on their one and only LP on CBS which is Also called L.A. (I think) - I could do you a copy of the track if you want Rich?
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Not sure if it has flute on it - is there a line about 'Freaking out to auld lang syne' in it Lee?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 29 2004,14:13)]Not sure if it has flute on it - is there a line about 'Freaking out to auld lang syne' in it Lee?
                    I have this track on one of LDJB's CDs (and have the Format mix) and I'm pretty sure you're talking about the same track.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

Cool, cheers chaps.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Jan. 28 2004,12:37)]
                        Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 28 2004,11:14)]Just wondering that this weekend - is Ken Nordine the same guy who's narrating the Ray Bradbury 'Marionettes Inc.' track on DJ Food and DK's Solid Steel CD?
                        Isn't that Leonard Nimoy? Or am I getting confused? I only have a CD-R of that mix and I haven't listened to it in a while.  
                        It is indeed Leonard Nimoy, from the LP 'The Illustrated Man' on Caedmon
                        www.myspace.com/usofaudio
                        www.myspace.com/detectivesofperspective
                        www.detectivesofperspective.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (united states of audio @ Jan. 29 2004,19:32)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Jan. 28 2004,12:37)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          It is indeed Leonard Nimoy, from the LP 'The Illustrated Man' on Caedmon
                          Cheers. I just sold one of the Shatner stories in that series for £££. They're pretty nicely done albums.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 29 2004,12:09)]...tracks I'd like to ID are...

The one right after Electric Indian's 'Heard Through The Grapevine'. For those of you who haven't heard the mix it sounds like Johnny Mann or Elvis and the chorus is along the lines of 'I have but one life to live...'.
                            That track also went on my "What is THAT" list.
                            Noice.
                            Probably not difficult to identy if you are into that kind of music in general.
                            Somebody lift the veil, please.

Comment

Bugger, just checked last night and it ISN'T L.A. No flute but there is some discreet Hammonding in there.

And the track Yemsky and I'd like to know starts with a nice break over which someone shouts 'Ernie... Get it ON!'. Have YOU heard this track?

Comment

Working...
                              X