Coldcut new comp....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coldcut new comp....

Your thoughts on this lot, if you fancy.

Released on 22nd March.

Chosen Few - Do your thing
    Richard de Bordeax - La Drogue
    Bobby Shad & the Bad Men - I want you back
    The Gaylads - Soul sister
    Axel Kryglier - Taxi Noctorno
    Morton Stevens - The long wait
    Archie Bleyer - Hernandoz highway
    La Formule de Baron - La gigouille
    Kwela Kong - King Kong stage soundtrack
    Esther Phillips - Disposable society
    Temptations - Power
    Otis Clay - The only way is up
    Malcolm Mclaren - World famous
    T La Rock - It's yours
    Barbara Randolph - Can I get a witness
    Arthur Russell - Another thought

The press release states that nothing is known of the Bob Shad cover. I've played it out a few times and never been convinced by it. Rather cheesy, I thought.

Now La Gigouille - that's a belter.

One of my faves, La Gigouille. Play it out all the time. Why isn't it credited to Bernard Estardy though?
    http://wakeupanddie.com
    http://weirdgearnyc.com
    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

richard de bordeaux nice...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 28 2004,09:51)]One of my faves, La Gigouille. Play it out all the time. Why isn't it credited to Bernard Estardy though?
        Agree on La gigouille. Great tune.

I'm assuming that, if you recall the cover, it's a picture of our Bernard standing next to a tree with La Formule de Baron inscribed on it. You have to scour through the credits to dfind the first mention on Estardy as the artist.

My guess is that the CC boys just went for what they saw on the front cover. And to be fair, when I first started to chart this track a few years back, I'ld list it as La Formule..... too.

Comment

I got sent a promo. Not had chance to listen to it yet.
          http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 28 2004,09:15)]The press release states that nothing is known of the Bob Shad cover. Odd, considering the exact take was produced by Bob Theile for the Mainstream label and featured a young Tom Scott in the horn section. I've played it out a few times and never been convinced by it. Rather cheesy, I thought.
            A friend of mine used to play the Bobby Shad 'I Want You Back' at our late 90s easy/funky extravaganzas 'Club Capri' and 'Hot Wheels'. I seem to remember it always created a good response on the floor, it's pretty beaty, has some nice percussive breakdowns and has a good sound I seem to remember..
            Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 28 2004,10:05)]
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 28 2004,09:51)]One of my faves, La Gigouille. Play it out all the time. Why isn't it credited to Bernard Estardy though?
              Agree on La gigouille. Great tune.

I'm assuming that, if you recall the cover, it's a picture of our Bernard standing next to a tree with La Formule de Baron inscribed on it. You have to scour through the credits to dfind the first mention on Estardy as the artist.

My guess is that the CC boys just went for what they saw on the front cover. And to be fair, when I first started to chart this track a few years back, I'ld list it as La Formule..... too.
              Lax titles suggest boot to my mind... Is it? Ninja are incredibly cheeky & cheap after all...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Jan. 28 2004,11:04)]Lax titles suggest boot to my mind... Is it? Ninja are incredibly cheeky & cheap after all...
                Nope - it's a fully 'licensed' (ahem) comp from Harmless.

The press release is playing on the fact that this is Coldcuts first funk compilation and follows their JDJ comp that sold over 100,000.

Interesting also that the whole comp is unmixed. I wonder if the Coldcut 'tastemakers' will change certain wannabe DJ's minds that it is OK not to mix everything. I wonder......

BTW surely now with this imminent, we definitely need to get the far superior comp, Black Cabs up and at 'em. Izzle's so good, it's scarey.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (vibra @ Jan. 28 2004,10:58)]A friend of mine used to play the Bobby Shad 'I Want You Back' at our late 90s easy/funky extravaganzas 'Club Capri' and 'Hot Wheels'. I seem to remember it always created a good response on the floor, it's pretty beaty, has some nice percussive breakdowns and has a good sound I seem to remember..
                  I've tried it a few times - yeah, it sounds OK, but nowhere near as good as Harold Maberns instrumental version.

I also thought that there were better cover versions on the Bob Shad too.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 28 2004,11:12)]The press release is playing on the fact that this is Coldcuts first funk compilation
                    So they glared over T La Rock and Malcolm McLaren when writing that one then..

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 28 2004,11:15)]I've tried it a few times - yeah, it sounds OK, but nowhere near as good as Harold Maberns instrumental version.

I also thought that there were better cover versions on the Bob Shad too.
                      Haven't heard that one - I'll get digging. What else is on the Bobby Shad LP then - my man only ever used to play that one and but I think lost his copy years ago, as he often did with the real interesting stuff.. clumsy get.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (vibra @ Jan. 28 2004,11:38)]Haven't heard that one - I'll get digging. What else is on the Bobby Shad LP then - my man only ever used to play that one and but I think lost his copy years ago, as he often did with the real interesting stuff.. clumsy get.
                        The Harold Mabern take can be found on his 'Greasy Kids Stuff' album on Prestige. Very nice, inc. a fatty break.

The Bob Shad album was reviewed by Motown67 over at Soulstrut. Here's a little C & P.

Bob Shad was a producer who put together this record of Jazz musicians recording Rock hits of the time. He certainly got down using studio musicians such as Grady Tate, Chuck Rainey, Mel Davis, Joe Newman, and many others. There are six cuts starting off with a great version of Whole Lotta Love with a lot of horns. Especially nice is the piano solo by Bernie Leighton in the middle where he just starts pounding his keys. Pinball Wizard has a spacey beginning with a lot of organ before going into the body of the tune. The best part is a little breakdown at the end where Chuck RaineyÂ’s bass really comes out loud in the mix. The Guess WhoÂ’s No Time starts off with a drum break before the horns join in. The middle of the album mellows out considerably with a lot of more traditional big band sounding arrangements. Shad is able to finish up with a cover of the Jackson 5Â’s I Want You Back that captures the feeling of the original. Not only that, but thereÂ’s a percussion break as well.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] ]I've tried it a few times - yeah, it sounds OK, but nowhere near as good as Harold Maberns instrumental version.
                          Oooh that's a good track to play out. One of those great tracks that everyone know but does'nt, if you get my drift.
                          records - one a week mixcloud
                          records - one a week soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 28 2004,11:12)]BTW surely now with this imminent, we definitely need to get the far superior comp, Black Cabs up and at 'em. Izzle's so good, it's scarey.
                            Yeah, we need to get moving on this 'fur shure, dude'.

But I think we need to rethink the title. Firstly because I think it's a mistake to make such a reference to another comp (and it's been a while since BC&E came out, plus not that many will get the ref anyway) and secondly because Brillo has grown into a solid image in its own right - so why don't we just call the comp Brillo Fresh?

btw, don't you think Brillo Fresh is better than Fresh Brillo? Fresh Brillo suggests just that, fresh brillos as opposed to stale, canned or dried ones. Whereas Brillo Fresh comes over like a new phrase - 'our tunes are so fresh, they're Brillo Fresh' you know, a refreshing selection of long lost, quintessentially British funky spoils... etc etc.

Plus, calling it Fresh Brillo can tie in nicely with a design similar to the Best of Brillo flyer, which I think worked great - simple, colorful and fun. And with that style, we can easily fit in the little boxes for folk to fill in, once they find out the artist (rounded reactangles with a fat blue or red border) top it all off with something like "This Brillo belongs to ------ " at the top of the track inlay...

Whole look and feel sort of acts as a nod to all the UK charity LPs, playschool records, Top of the Pops etc... Whereas the original titile of Black Cabs etc, won't really fit in with that look. Plus the Brillo look is UK red, white & blue! (though I don't think the Brillo brand is...&#33

That's my proposal anyways - stick to the look Brillo has already taken on, I think it works great. Any thoughts on all that?

Comment

the real colours are similar:

but the Fresh Brillo logo is the old box design that Andy Warhol used... old box

Comment

Working...
                              X