Bagpipe Groovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bagpipe Groovers

This weekend I discovered the bagpipe j*zz of Rufus Harley through his 1972 album "Re creation Of The Gods". Its f'ken ace!!
    Can you think of any other instances where these cloth octupuses have been used to good effect?
    Parliament's "Waiting For The Silent Boatman" springs to mind,and of course the work of Katherine Tickell (sp?) .
    Anything else?
    record licker

http://www.verygoodplus.co.uk/showth...light=bagpipes
    "Ridicule is nothing to be scared of"

www.myspace.com/illustratedlondonnoise*********illustratedlondonnoise.blogspot.com

Comment

Rufus Harley also blows the bagpipe on Swing Low Sweet Chariot on Sonny Rollins' Live at Montreux from 1974.

Btw, there's a tv taping of the same show but from Copenhagen I think where they groove much better than the album version IMO
      Last edited by Headless mermaid; 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Ahhh...... Cheers Pitch.
        record licker

Comment

"Sky Pilot" Orbvihease ane.

Ah kerlects Breton -lorts o' GASSSS pipes thaur orften playid alangside bombarde.

Donal Lunney's "Brendan Voyage" Irish Ullian pipes.

Torontay ha'ed a crrraacckk trio innae late sebenties/oyties callit RARE AIR (3 lps, sum cds) (formerlay Na Cabairfath -oar summat loikes- 2 lps), merging rock wif bag pipes.Ane funkrock oanna larst wobblay.

Micht be able ter faand sum lps fer yew iffin yor innerestid (an' huv sumfink ah kin use in trade.)

Comment

Thanks for the offer Wallace but Im not really looking to augment the collektioon with bagpipe type wobblays ,was just curious to find out if said instrument had been used in an interesting fashion in any recordings(ie through effects pedals etc).
            What I would really like to see though is a customised bag in leopard print or some such rather than the traditional tartan.
            record licker

Comment

The Cryan' Shames - "The Sailing Ship" from the 'A Scratch Across The Sky' LP......marvellous bit of blissed out pop-psych!!

Features a very young Isaac Guillory on guitar as well!!
              "Here comes the Fun Cooker!!"

Comment

There are bagpipes in the outro on a sitar popsike track on the first Colours LP, forgot which song - think it's the first on side B.
                "Only one thought left, that makes me come alive,
                and that is you and me side by side, on the licorice ride"

Comment

Robert "Big Pipe" Murphy - Scotch on the Rock/Pop Pudding (Phillips)

I'm surprised this one hasn't blown-up, as it's two hard sides of bagpipe, rock, and funk. Scotch on the Rock has a nice drumbreak into some traditional piping and fuzz guitar, and Pop Pudding is a staight-up psych track with bagpipe accompany and a huge guitar solo. Worlds better than that Jimmy Pryde business .

Comment

there's a great bagpipe lead track by Nino Tempo and April Stevens

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FfFdyLeaTYU
                    "Not only that but the WHOLE COVER is UNCREASED with only 2 or 3 TINY creaselines near the opening edge about half way down!!!! In the same place (about half way down the opening edge), there is an absolutely TINY and PERFECTLY repaired split" (xxxrecords)

Comment

Originally posted by the stranger View Post
                      Robert "Big Pipe" Murphy - Scotch on the Rock/Pop Pudding (Phillips)

I'm surprised this one hasn't blown-up, as it's two hard sides of bagpipe, rock, and funk. Scotch on the Rock has a nice drumbreak into some traditional piping and fuzz guitar, and Pop Pudding is a staight-up psych track with bagpipe accompany and a huge guitar solo. Worlds better than that Jimmy Pryde business .
                      good shout - top record that !!
                      Rockwell
                      Banned (DJ Anchovy)

Comment

On the funkier front, check out the 45 of;

Ernie Fields Jr 'Funky pipes' on Kent.

It's not too bad either.

Comment

There was a Decca single, 'Scotch on the Rocks', by Force Ten, which had bagpipes, synthesisers and brass on it, if I remember rightly. The introduction to it was used on a Radio One show, but they cut it before the bagpipes began. Was it used to introduce the Chart rundown? There was a sort of descending, 'Zeeeowww', followed by a monotonous, 'barp-barp, barp barp-barp' bit. Stirring stuff, indeed.
                          Oh, and if you feel your life would be enriched by a cod-Reggae version of, 'Scotland the Brave', played on the bagpipes, try 'Reggae Bagpipes', by The Magnificent Seven - another Decca gem from the '70s.

Comment

Originally posted by The Toad View Post
                            Oh, and if you feel your life would be enriched by a cod-Reggae version of, 'Scotland the Brave', played on the bagpipes, try 'Reggae Bagpipes', by The Magnificent Seven - another Decca gem from the '70s.
                            My mate used to play this at the end of reggae nights to make sure everyone hurried along home.
                            Vardy.....¬°¬°¬°PELIGRO!!!

Comment

Luv's "Trojan Horse" is perhaps a rare example of the bagpipes appearing in 1970s europop. Also, Sheila's "Le Kilt" is a meeting of ye-ye and the highlands.
                              www.twitter.com/SeasonsTheyChge
                              www.myspace.com/SeasonsTheyChange

Comment

Working...
                              X