In search of the treacle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of the treacle!

Ok my learned friends, I'm needing some positive support and guidance from all you heads out there. If you would take some time to read on, perhaps you can help me?

As we all know, occassionally our tastes change and we find ourselves more drawn to particular musical styles, moods or even just sounds where producing [and more nerdy moments] is concerned. I have always enjoyed a very healthy love of the weird and twisted, particularly in music but have always had an excrutiatingly strict, subjective attitude too so it has narrowed my listening. I find that I'm really digging a lot of weirder, more abstract stuff, some of which I totally hated before, but this is what keeps our obsession with music alive and developing I guess! Anyways, I always had a fascination with electro and so when I was entrenched in underground soul and funk, all my mates were checking electro and some were into electronic-a [is there a difference?] and I always felt I could get into this big time one day.
    Well, several years on and after ammasing quite a few records later, I'm seriously into electro sounding type ish but have a really tough time tracking down the kind of stuff I wanna hear. It's really odd, cos this sort of quest for one bloody difficult to define music is exactly what I was doing years back when I was trying to define the term psychedelic and searched for music which I really thought fitted into that often confusing genre. Not digging the typical flower power type nonsense, I had to do a lot of flipping work to get to shit like the Silver Apples, United States of America, Modulo 1000 and Piero Umiliani. We all have had to put in hours of sweat into this right? Well, everybody except David Holmes who squeezes a few of his vinyl pimps, but don't get me started!!!

What I'm after here is equally tough to define so it's driving me scatty cos it's out there and I just need to stick on my electro scoping shades and track the mother down!

It's electro by definition, but it has to have the funk. It's also deeply psychedelic by nature. Preferably hip-hop tempo type stuff or maybe a little faster and X-large twisted on the overall vibe. It has to have layers and layers of what I call treacley synths, very sticky, sweet sounding 70's style, mad squelchy, resonating, acid soaked moogs and rhodes, over heavy drums, either gentle fatback type funk rolls or banging high in the mix.

What I'm feeling is the jam in the obscure electro-fied OST pudding, occassinally spread on library joints [cos the europeans were mad on this kind of shit, although I know precious little on Italian libraries and I'm guessing this is where the sweetness is, feed me Sermad!!!] and sometimes on really unlikely records like Krautrock or prog type ish, but you know the score with that, it's always a really nice and fat sequence within a larger, ultimately more noodly track which then turns into Jazz Odyssey for me!

So, I guess I should give a few examples, right?

Well, a few tracks which nail this sound down pretty damn well would be Sour Soul from The Flasher OST [still chasing an OG ] ; Alberto Baldan's Ali Ben LP [I NEED this record to live] ; Roubaixs' Astralement Votre flip with Elizabeth Tessier [thankyou so very much Ed, mind blowing music] ; Howard Wales' Rendevous with the Sun [The Perfect record. But once more, chasing the OG baby] ; Michel Gonets' Phasing News on Telemusic, [ Psychedelic funk: my definition......frighteningly deep with layer upon layer of squelchy synths and crisp percussion underneath real psych effects].

Head nodding type shit on LSD, you know?

Well, that's it really, didnt take much did it?

Now throw me some sweetness off your table, people.

I'm dying here!
    I was raised by wolves

You are going to sh*t your pants when I bring my latest purchase to Brillo.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I said please me, not tease me&#33;
      I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Jan. 30 2004,11:32)]I said please me, not tease me&#33;
        He&#39;s been to the Islands, so what do you expect?  

&#39;Tease me, tease me, tease me baby,
        &#39;Til I lose control...&#39;

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 28 2004,15:22)]what time does it kick off mate? are you at work that day. I&#39;ll drop you your shit.
        I&#39;ve noticed a definite scatological turn in posts on here of late... Sorry, this isn&#39;t helping is it.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

The obvious suggestion would be to get yourself a copy of Dick Hymans - Age of Electronicus including the JB cover of Give it up turn it loose.

Also get yourself a copy of John Murtaugh - Blues Current on Polydor. Diller.

I might have a 45 you&#39;ld be interested in. John Eaton &amp; his Skynet - Bone Dry on Decca. Remind for the next Brillo, if you&#39;re interested.

It&#39;s been discussed before, cos it&#39;s an acquired taste (if I remember, not one that Nick liked), but Intergalactic Trot by Stardrive is an interesting listen. One to discover and form your own opinions.

If you&#39;re into weird, cosmic experimentation, basically recording on LSD with a bank of Moogs, then chance your arm with a copy of Roger Powells &#39;Cosmic Furnace&#39;.

And then of course there&#39;s this little beauty, if you don&#39;t know about it already.

http://www.317x.com/albums/e/electro...cept/card.html

For starters, like.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 30 2004,12:06)]The obvious suggestion would be to get yourself a copy of Dick Hymans - Age of Electronicus including the JB cover of Give it up turn it loose.

Also get yourself a copy of John Murtaugh - Blues Current on Polydor. Diller.

It&#39;s been discussed before, cos it&#39;s an acquired taste (if I remember, not one that Nick liked), but Intergalactic Trot by Stardrive is an interesting listen. One to discover and form your own opinions.
            Many thanks Greg, but I got these already&#33;

I&#39;ll definitely look into the rest of them tho&#39; taking reccomendations from Hogwashers seriously, like&#33;

Please keep &#39;em coming boys&#33;&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m a hungry like the wilf&#33;

Yes, I said Wilf dagnabit&#33;
            I was raised by wolves

Comment

I was just listening to Goblin&#39;s Snip Snap off the Roller 45 and that&#39;s pretty much on the money for the sound I&#39;m checking: plenty of swirling synthy action, fat basslines with rolling drums, high in the mix. Why didn&#39;t I think of Goblin before, they define this sound&#33;

I blame that Simonetti geezer, another one with a sweet tooth for synths&#33;&#33;&#33;

So, think Goblin, Pool Pah and Roubaix in an elevator together, on LSD, making musical babies: I needz that kind of offspring&#33;
              I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (Belson @ Jan. 30 2004,12:06)]I might have a 45 you&#39;ld be interested in. John Eaton &amp; his Skynet - Bone Dry on Decca. Remind for the next Brillo, if you&#39;re interested.
                Greg,

I need to hear this too&#33; I&#39;ll remind ya&#39;, don&#39;t worry&#33;
                I was raised by wolves

Comment

Have you got the Blue Phantoms lp? Was released on Vedette, Sonimage and Kaleidoscope&#33; Mental heavy psych with wibbly distorted fx.

Here is the 45. Never EVER seen this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws....0999527
                  www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I&#39;m aware of the LP which goes stupid when on the bay, but never seen a 45. Typical, Japanese buyers are crazy for this type gear&#33;
                    I was raised by wolves

Comment

Working...
                    X