Music only oxfam shops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music only oxfam shops

Are music only Oxfam shops common? If so where are they? I ask because my Oxfam are opening a music only shop in Reading and I never knew these existed.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

There's one here in Winchester...The people who run it do it "by the book", a Beatles, Stones, Doors album starts at £15. There are some bargains to be had though, worth checking every now and again.
    They once tried to charge me £40 for "songs of experience" listed as MINT that looked like it had been on someone's floor for 10 years....

Comment

Thanks for the reply and welcome to VV.

Comment

A friend of mine runs the books and records Oxfam in Dublin and generally looks stuff up on ebay or gemm and goes for half the average price there, with some allowance for condition but I think she doesn't have time to check every one and is so open to persuasion that if something turns out to be fucked.
        Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

yeah, it seems to depend on the local staff. but the one's i've seen have always been Books + Music, never music on it's own. is it a big shop in Reading?

Comment

I've had a couple of bits out of the Winchester one too.

We've got one down here in Southampton too, which I used to go to regularly to assist at. Music, books about music and related gear, but a good amount of the floor space is reserved for vinyl.
            Matt Hero

Comment

Anyone ever visited the big London one in Marylebone?
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

You sure the Marylebone isnt books?
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Jan. 30 2004,13:25)]Anyone ever visited the big London one in Marylebone?
                  You don&#39;t want to know about the basement there. You know when record companies clear the decks of old stock......
                  Matt Hero

Comment

There are a few music-only shops around the country, a couple in Scotland, one in Hertford, Ealing... not sure where else. There is a new one opening in Portebello Road next week, it&#39;s mostly books but there should be quite a lot of records too.
                    I&#39;ve been assisting at the Ealing shop for quite a while, some of the pricing is very unreasonable but the stuff always sells though&#33; I suppose it is for charity. We managed to sell the &quot;Christmas Party&quot; KPM for £25&#33;
                    www.myspace.com/thecromagnonband

http://www.wolfpeople.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 30 2004,13:27)]You sure the Marylebone isnt books?
                      According to Time Out it&#39;s both books and music. Never been though...
                      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Mainly books, but definitely worth checking.
                        http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Reading has a books and vinyl Oxfam shop.

The new shop, opening in May, is going to be music only. It will concentrate on vinyl with a few CDs, or so I&#39;ve been told.

This might be good.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (green man @ Jan. 30 2004,13:29)]I&#39;ve been assisting at the Ealing shop for quite a while, some of the pricing is very unreasonable but the stuff always sells though&#33; I suppose it is for charity. We managed to sell the &quot;Christmas Party&quot; KPM for £25&#33;
                            Tehe. This used to be my favourite spot. Well, it was until it became an Oxfam Music and the prices went a bit silly. When the vinyl lived at the back of the bookshop things were much better IMO. It does get a bit silly when you can buy something at the monthly (and disappointing) record fair at the chuch hall in Ealing, walk down the road to the Oxfam Music and find it for twice the price in crappy condition.

Nonetheless, I was in attendance for the opening of the music shop and the staff have always been helpful and friendly.

J

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Jan. 30 2004,13:33)]
                              Originally posted by [b
                              Mainly books, but definitely worth checking.
                              I would have thought it would be dug dry&#33; I&#39;m never in that part of town anyways.
                              www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Working...
                              X