Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jazz, jazz-rock, funk, fusion, pop......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazz, jazz-rock, funk, fusion, pop......

This is something I've been thinking about recently -

It seems to me that in the 70s there was a lot of confusion about to how to categorize/label the sort of music we like.

For example, the music on 'The Hanged Man' OST is described in the sleeve note as being 'jazz-rock', whereas it just sounds plain funky to me.

Likewise, many funky library tracks come with a variety of descriptions ranging from 'jazz-pop', 'rock' and 'soul-rock' often leaving the word 'funk' out altogether.

Also, curiously, the funk genre doesn't seem to mean very much to a lot of the arrangers & composers I've spoken to who were writing this sort of music in the 70s. They always seem to cite their influences as coming from pop or rock rhythms among other things.

I find it strange that the style of music that influences so much of this library/soundtrack material doesn't seem to figure in it's categorization and isn't even listed as an influence by many of the guys who wrote this type of music.

Any input much appreciated!
    Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Well I know for a fact that many of the library composers at the time were MASSIVELY influenced by Herbie Hancock. They were trying to emulate his sound and this just happened to be funky!

But...Thats jazz rock!

http://www.liraproductions.com/jazzr...ocs/albums.htm

It always amuses me when I find library tracks with 'funky' in the title. 9 times out of 10 then couldnt have less 'funk'!!
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 31 2004,17:59)]It always amuses me when I find library tracks with &#39;funky&#39; in the title. 9 times out of 10 then couldnt have less &#39;funk&#39;&#33;&#33;

what are those two dewolfes, serm... ah&#33; &quot;funky toothpaste&quot; and &quot;funky spider&quot; &#33;

Comment

Well anything that had a fairly thunping 4/4 beat was considered to be the &#39;rock&#39; beat. Look at all those Jazz lp&#39;s where the one &#39;funky&#39; track is written up as the &#39;rock beat&#39; track...
        Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]It always amuses me when I find library tracks with &#39;funky&#39; in the title. 9 times out of 10 then couldnt have less &#39;funk&#39;&#33;&#33;
          I remember in the hazy past, an article that I&#39;m sure was in Grand Royal about digging. Their theory was that songs that had &#39;funky&#39; in the title were anything but, however those that had &#39;freaky&#39; in the title were nearly always the ones to grab.

But the grooviest tunes on library nearly always label themselves as &#39;rock&#39;.

Benicio
          Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Palmer_Eldrich @ Jan. 31 2004,18:47)]Well anything that had a fairly thunping 4/4 beat was considered to be the &#39;rock&#39; beat. Look at all those Jazz lp&#39;s where the one &#39;funky&#39; track is written up as the &#39;rock beat&#39; track...
            agreed. jazz-rock tended to be jazz musicians playing &#39;music of jazz origin&#39; using electric (ie. rock) instruments and usually played in common time - like mr eldrich says, 4/4.
            http://www.blaxploitation.com
            Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Record styles is a question of mind over matter. If you don&amp;#8217;t mind, it doesn&amp;#8217;t matter.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] (sermad @ Jan. 31 2004,17:59)]It always amuses me when I find library tracks with &#39;funky&#39; in the title. 9 times out of 10 then couldnt have less &#39;funk&#39;&#33;&#33;
                And those tracks with the funk in force are frequently called Rock Beat, Rock &#39;n&#39; Schlock and Click Clock Rock. Actually, I just made them up but they&#39;re pretty damn close&#33;

It isn&#39;t supposed to make sense outside the library studio, right?
                I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Jan. 31 2004,19:23)]Their theory was that songs that had &#39;funky&#39; in the title were anything but
                  I agree totally. It goes the same with anything that has &quot;a-go go&quot; in the title. First thing coming to mind is the James Last albums. Ain&#39;t nothing &quot;a go go&quot; bout these lps.

David
                  God bless Fatso.

Comment

Does anyone know the &#39;Jazz, Rock Experience&#39; lp on deram.

My fave &#39;jazz-rockers&#39; would be Ian Carr, Battered Ornaments and Bob Downes&#33;
                    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (sermad @ Feb. 04 2004,10:17)]Does anyone know the &#39;Jazz, Rock Experience&#39; lp on deram.

My fave &#39;jazz-rockers&#39; would be Ian Carr, Battered Ornaments and Bob Downes&#33;
                      I saw this one twice now at my local charity, it&#39;s got JRE in big letters on the cover right? Passed it up tho&#39;. Then again, thiswas a few years back and now I&#39;d be on it.

Sermad, what&#39;s the better Bob Downes joint IYO, I see his &quot;Electric City&quot; on Vertigo all the time but it&#39;s the one with Heavy in the title that interests me the most.
                      I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (sermad @ Feb. 04 2004,10:17)]Does anyone know the &#39;Jazz, Rock Experience&#39; lp on deram.

My favourite Jazz-Rockers include Mike Gibbs, Alan Hawkshaw, Dave Gold, John Dankworth, Bernard Lubat and John Cameron, all having written some great examples of this style of music.
                        Barry Morgan&#39;s brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Feb. 04 2004,10:54)]Sermad, what&#39;s the better Bob Downes joint IYO, I see his &quot;Electric City&quot; on Vertigo all the time but it&#39;s the one with Heavy in the title that interests me the most.
                          (Wearing my best lego hair)... &#39;Electric City&#39; on Vertigo is pretty good (&#39;Keep Of The Grass&#39; is my favourite track) and normally goes for between £30 and £40.

&#39;Deep Down Heavy&#39; on MFP sounds like it was recorded at a similar time but is a lot rougher, with various interlude style tracks recorded out in the streets. It should cost you less than a tenner. I actually prefer it to open music (especially the version of &#39;Don&#39;t Let Tomorrow Get You Down&#39; which is a little too polished on &#39;Open Music&#39;. The credits include two (three?) drummers and it occasionally sounds like they&#39;re all playing at once.     But if I bring &#39;em both to Brillo you can decide for yourself...

And a list of jazzrockers can&#39;t pass without mention of Johnny Almond. He&#39;s shit and anyone who nabs a copy of the &#39;Solar Level&#39; 45 should pass it to me to save their ears.  
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Oh, and has anyone ever seen an &#39;Open Music&#39; without the sticker tear on the cover? And does anyone know what the other Bob Downes LP&#39;s are like (I think there&#39;s two or three more, on small labels, from around the same time)?
                            You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Rich, I&#39;m currently sitting on Bob&#39;s Deep Down Heavy. Open Music is a weird one, they always have that in Intoxica but it&#39;s OTT price just makes me laugh&#33; Still, bring them Monday and we&#39;ll their discuss merits&#33;

I recently scored the Johnny Almond on Deram after waiting a mini bronze age, [well from last august when I first caught it around a friends house] and it rocks&#33; Love this shit&#33; But I need that Johnny Almond 45 like medicine&#33;

Affinity MUST be included here surely, just perfect proggy Jazz Rock whateveryouwannacallit, it sounds beautiful to my ears.
                              Top, top drawer stuff, but leave the OG and go to the recently issued Akarma, one very interesting label.

Listen in Crouch End will get you this from the states for much less than you&#39;d pay in any other store and mad fast delivery too&#33;
                              I was raised by wolves

Comment

Working...
                              X