Power Serge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Serge

Can one of you enlightened bods let me know who the session players were that played on my favourite LP at the moment and 2nd fave of all-time (just behind Funkadelic's first LP) 'Histoire de Melody Nelson'?

I heard rumours that it's the KPM lot who also helped out Michel Polnareff? I thought the answers might be contained in 'Fistful of Gitanes', but 'non'.

An end to the torment would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

my mate PM keyed it into the MCPS database when the re-ish came out a while back...definately Coulam on the keys, but the rest of 'em i cant remember...although Hawkshaw did a lot of his mid 70's gear i dont think he was in on this one...i'd guess at the rest of the Blue Mink mob being involved...morgan/parker/flowers and awl that...just a guess mind...

oooooh-i would play the first track from that Funkadelic LP over and over again for days if i had my way....

Comment

I had been relaibly informed that a certain mr Keith Mansfield was involved with this project,although in what capacity i dunno,arrangements perhaps?, i was informed of this a long time ago and unfortunately my memory is decidedly un-elephant like!
      undefined "fook me, he looks like a vertically challenged Oompa Loompa!!"

Comment

direction & arrangements are definitely j.c.vannier, but it's not impossible that Mansfield might've been involved in some other capacity during the sessions...intriguing how much of the great French pop was basically a UK/France collaborative effort, though: even Pet Clark managed some stormers over there, & you're always finding the likes of Jimmy Page turning up on Francoise Hardy LPs. Dunno who specifically was in on the Melody Nelson sessions, but those mentioned were pretty much SG's house band during that period, so I'd imagine some combination of them was behind him here, too...
        a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

</span>
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ] even Pet Clark managed some stormers over there.
          <span =''>

what stormers are these? i like some of her tunes.

Comment

There are loads of EPs of Petula Clark in French, &amp; they seem to be going at around £8 - £15 a pop whenever I've seen the originals around: for this reason, the stuff I have is on a 2002 Castle music 2cd set called 'Beat en Francais', the tracklisting &amp; details are on AMG -

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=Asifm96hojepo

Basically there's a lot of straight covers of UK/US tunes in French, but it's the original ye-ye material that really floats my boat... I think it's budget priced so definitely woeth a punt if you like Our Pet (I like her Tony Hatch/UK stuff too, btw...but she does cut looser in French, I reckon!)...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Im with wayne on this one, most of pets stuff can be bought through castle/sanctuary music, my personal fave has to be her 'Conversations in the wind' cd produced and arranged by big tone, there are some crackin tunes on there,check 'After the hill'-groovy!,also worth a mention is 'Petula 71' produced/arranged by none other than the mighty Jonny Harris.Castle do loads of interesting stuff so check out their site if you get a chance.
              undefined "fook me, he looks like a vertically challenged Oompa Loompa!!"

Comment

Thanks for the information on Petula Clark, gents.  Her work-rate in the late sixties and early seventies was phenonemonal, so I guessed there had to be some more good stuff out there.

Can I put in a good word for her version of 'Rain' on the 'I Couldn't Live Without Your Love' LP?  Another Tony Hatch production, naturellement.
                The Pop Music Library

Comment

Working...
                X