Indo-jazzmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indo-jazzmen

Just a quick query, really, about the 1968 Saga LP 'Ragas & Reflections', which is credited to The Indo-Jazzmen. The sleeve credits Krishna Kumar and Tara (Tambura) Kapur on tabla and sitar, but there's no indication of who the rest of the small jazz group might be, except the writing credit on everything to 'Isaacs', who I assume might be Ike Isaacs, of 'Hymns a Swinging', 'Lutes & Flutes' etc fame. Anyone know anything about this? The record must have the most evasive sleevenotes I've ever read, so I'd guess a few 'under contract elsewhere' types must've been involved...
    a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

no idea, but it's a good album innit! almost up to Mayer/Harriott standard in places

Comment

I suspect it's Ike Issacs - he did some Hawaiian stuff for Saga, so it would make sense if they used him again.

I've not got this one, though - how does it compare to MFP's excellent 'Curried Jazz'?

Comment

i think the Indo-Jazzmen is better, but need to re-listen to Curried Jazz. (i presume you have the two Mayer/Harriott Indo Jazz Fusions?)

anyone know anything about Saga/Eros, and what else is there to look for on it?
        off the top of my head i've got The Indo Jazzmen, Four Instants 'Discotheque', and 'Jazz Heat Bongo Beat'.

Comment

Saga records were formed in the 1950s as a division of the Saga Films company - they were run by an ex-army captain who's name I can't remember, and for a short time they had a tie-up with Joe Meek's Triumph label.

In the late 60s they held regular telent contests in London, the prize being a recording contract (and the chance to be horribly exploited, of course&#33 - and a few psych groups made their only LPs this way - like The Magic Mixture and the Five Day Week Straw People. They also did some early recordings by Mugo Jerry's Ray Dorset, which reappeared at the height of his success.

Saga later mutated into the ultra-cheap Boulevard label, of which there's more on this very site!

I like the 'Swinging London' LP by the First Impression, which has a couple of good tracks on it, and also 'Golden Trumpet' by the Dave Moses group, which is ramshackle, but entertaining!

Comment

Ah, looks like the secret's safe, then: whoever'ds playing, it's pretty good stuff. Oddly, never heard the 'Curried Jazz' (only seen it at fairs/on stalls for £10 - £15 a pop) so can't compare, but the Indo-Jazzmen is definitely very strong stuff.

As for Saga, there's the Graham Walker Sound 'TV Themes' to look out for, too...
            a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Since we're back on the indo stuff again, why has the name 'Tony Scott' stuck in my mind?
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

thanks Lord T!

will look out for those two.

they seem to have put out a lot of US Crown stuff too (the budget label of the Biharis of Modern/Kent infamy), like the Buddy Collette 'Jazz Heat Bongo Beat', and i also have one with BB King on and an imitation Enoch Light/Terry Snyder ('Predominant Percussion' or something). plus Milt Raskin's 'Kapu' (on Crown in the US) was released here on Saga/Eros

Comment

Rich - maybe Tony Scott 'Music for Zen Meditation' (Far Eastern) and 'Music for Yoga Meditation' (Indian i think, don't have it)

here's the old thread on indo stuff: http://212.67.202.147/~sermad....hl=indo

Comment

Cheers Mike - that's what I thought but I can't find mention in that thread? And I picked both up the other day but the initial impression is that there's nothing remarkable on them...

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

i remember the Zen Meditation being quite nice, although don't think i've played it since i first got it. it's been reissued on CD so some people must like it!
                      the second hasn't been reissued, and i wouldn't mind a listen if you don't mind bringing it along one Brillo.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Feb. 03 2004,14:05)]i remember the Zen Meditation being quite nice, although don't think i've played it since i first got it. it's been reissued on CD so some people must like it!
                        the second hasn't been reissued, and i wouldn't mind a listen if you don't mind bringing it along one Brillo.
                        Certainly sir! (And I'll give them another go too). Picked up a few more similar bits in the same haul so I'll bring those too so you can have a squizz...

Comment

what else did you get? or is it all ?

i (still&#33 have a spare copy of Paul Horn 'Inside' which i think is better than the Tony Scott 'Zen...', nice and 'spiritual' fluting, (cue S**lStr*t argument) if anyone wants it

(what is a squizz, and should people be doing it in a public place?)

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Feb. 03 2004,14:17)]what else did you get? or is it all ?

i (still&#33 have a spare copy of Paul Horn 'Inside' which i think is better than the Tony Scott 'Zen...', nice and 'spiritual' fluting, (cue S**lStr*t argument) if anyone wants it

(what is a squizz, and should people be doing it in a public place?)
                            To be honest it'll have to remain   since I can't remember any of the titles. Nothing too exciting at all though (but if you enjoy Tony Scott...). As for Paul Horn, I remember sitting through an entire LP of his 'spiritual' warblings, waiting for hooks to sample. And then finding nothing (so his card is marked   ). Still, I was impressed at the way he got the dolphins to sqeak on demand.

And a squizz? I may have spelt it wrong but I'm sure it's a fine old Billy Bunter and Biggles term for look, along the lines of gander. But it's not a male goose. So whether it's polite in public largely depends on what you're ogling...

Comment

some of the Paul Horn's are very ropey. he went right off on a spiritual tip (pyramids and the rest), so i think the later they are the dodgier they may be.
                              the early 60s Mass one with Lalo Schifrin is good (that llmod was asking about the other week) and the Cleopatra one (also early 60s) is nice. 'Inside' was one of the first 'new age' albums, (so it's got a lot to answer for&#33 but itself is very nice - solo flute and Indian voices recorded in the Taj Mahal.

Comment

Working...
                              X