Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones

Any headphone recommendations for studio use?

I've just started training as an engineer/producer and I'm looking to get something with higher fidelity than my current DJ-use Senheisser HD200s. I also have the opportunity to get the government to pay for them so price isn't too much of a problem.

(well, in theory I'll pay the government back some day... if my income ever raises above the threshold again... funny to think that my career high salary may well have peaked at 25)

Obviously I'm aware that personal preference comes into this heavily... however I thought perhaps the studio geeks on here might have a few recommendations I could look further into. (I'd like to try before I buy if at all possible).

Supplementary information: I have a large ears and head. (Fortunately this is in reasonable proportion to my enormous body).

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (formigo @ Feb. 11 2004,03:24)]Supplementary information: I have a large ears and head. (Fortunately this is in reasonable proportion to my enormous body).
    ha ha - your old avatar was so deceptive of your rugged real world apprearance!!

don't think I'm qualified to answer your question, for 'amatuer' purposes I use:

no doubt there are better ones out there for studio 'pros'

Comment

i use these ones:

actually better than the newer pioneer models, since the old ones isolate alot better. only negative thing is that u can play awfully loud, so you will end up def sooner or later.

Comment

Well I really like Sen HD25's they are close backed and have nice range!
        Also very comfy...

Peace

P.
        Go on wit'cha bad elf

Comment

beyer DT-100s. get 'em off ebay for 50 quid. lovely, flat response, never get tiring - they're pro studio standard, and all the parts are easily replaceable.
          http://www.blaxploitation.com
          Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Say no no no no to hinged headphones. They make look nice and sound good but I can hand on heart say they will SNAP out in the field.

I recommend the sennheiser HD25's. Ive seen them for a ridiculous £100 on the net! I paid about £150 for mine maybe 5-6 years ago. Never had to replace one part at all. They sound amazing and are very functional.
            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

there&#39;s also the HD25 SP confusingly, which are about 70 quid, but have a cable from each ear piece and i think are lower quality otherwise (well i hope you don&#39;t have to pay an extra 50 quid just to get a single cable&#33

Comment

Yes the sp have worse frequency response. The whole point of monitor headphones is that they have a flat frequency response. If you put in a 20khz tone you get 20khz (+- some difference) out. The better the headphone the smaller that difference and the flatter the graph.

Glad I stayed awake in electronics class.
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

I agree with the HD25s. But wouldn&#39;t be too pleased if I left them behind after a gig...
                  http://wakeupanddie.com
                  http://weirdgearnyc.com
                  http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (sermad @ Feb. 11 2004,10:25)]Say no no no no to hinged headphones. They make look nice and sound good but I can hand on heart say they will SNAP out in the field.

I recommend the sennheiser HD25&#39;s. Ive seen them for a ridiculous £100 on the net&#33; I paid about £150 for mine maybe 5-6 years ago. Never had to replace one part at all. They sound amazing and are very functional.
                    Depends how much you abuse them, Serms. I had a pair of collapsable Sony cans, cost me a oner about 6 years ago. They lasted me until some git leafed them at Hogwash 3 months ago.

The Sennheiser&#39;s are OK, but don&#39;t tread on that long wire. Connections come loose very quickly if you do - like the pair I&#39;ve had for 3 months.

BTW wasn&#39;t the original request for studio headphones to mixdown with? If only I could remember the name of a pair of Sony cans that I want to get that are ideal for the studio. They had very large, almost woolen pads (not waterproofed so sod all use for DJing) and the response was incredible. Sony Centre stock&#39;em, but they&#39;ll set ya back £200.

Comment

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/p.../500series.htm

i know a couple of people with the 580s because Richer Sounds had them cheaply a while ago. very nice sounding, and light and comfy. the 600s look good too, although may be out of your (or the government&#39;s&#33 price range.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (bongolia @ Feb. 11 2004,15:00)]i know a couple of people with the 580s because Richer Sounds had them cheaply a while ago. very nice sounding, and light and comfy. the 600s look good too, although may be out of your (or the government&#39;s&#33 price range.
                        I bought a pair of 580&#39;s a couple of years ago for cheap (£60) ish and I use them as my studio cans.

Very comfy, decent frequency response and they survived numerous trips to the floor (generally when I get the lengthy cord wrapped around my feet and fall down).
                        Matt Hero

Comment

Sony&#39;s are good. I use mdr-7505 for studio use, and mdr-v700dj for spinning out. They both work great.

Comment

Thanks for the response team...

I&#39;ve had the opportunity to try out a few high-end models briefly since posting this... currently I&#39;m favouring the Beyer... uh... 770 (I think??). Tried the Sennheisers HD250s (big eared/headed feller&#39;s version of the 25s) and to be honest I couldn&#39;t really hear the difference from my HD200s - though I&#39;m sure there is one. Very good fq response but a bit heavy on the mids and tops to my ears. Would probably be harsh over a long session I think. The Beyers are a lot &quot;smoother&quot; and bassier, and given my mentality that&#39;s probably a good thing. Also, they have metal bits and velour on the earcups.

Also Sennheiser seem disproportionately expensive.

Quite liked an AKG model that I forget the number of too - nifty switch on the band that shuts them off when they&#39;re not on your head... that&#39;s not really that useful but it is kinda cool. (And breakable, I suppose).

I hear ya with the treading on the Sennheisers cables too - I keep mine bunched up with a twist-tie nowadays.

Comment

If you&#39;re using headphones as a producer or engineer, shouldn&#39;t you be looking for reference headphones, ones with as little characterisation as possible? I know some of the models mentioned already are, but to prefer a headphone that&#39;s bassier may give you a false idea of the music you&#39;re working on... And isn&#39;t using headphones to engineer or produce considered a bad idea in general? Though saying that, I preferred to use headphones when working on tracks, listening to various stages of production in the room but keeping it &#39;lidded&#39; when working on it - mainly through politness for my neighbours... I was one of them bedroom producers, see? Well at least for a few days two years ago...
                              http://wakeupanddie.com
                              http://weirdgearnyc.com
                              http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Working...
                              X