Big terror movie themes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big terror movie themes

picked up a copy of the ubiquitous (but for some reason elusive for me) "Big Terror Movie Themes" on MFP at lunchtime. For the most part, it's a really good album. "Three Days Of The Condor" is a belter.

The drumming is strangely reminiscent of Alf Bigden's work - does anyone know if it actually is him on this one?

Funnily enough, I've not got this one, but I've often wondered if it's Alf on some of Geoff's TV Themes LPs - I think it might be, but I'm not 100% certain.

The only Love LP which credits the drummer is some ragtime thing, and it's not anyone I've heard of, but Geoff could have used different musicians for different ensembles.

I'm pretty sure Alf is one of the drummers in Mandingo, though, so it's quite possible it's him on this LP too.

Comment

I currently have two spares of that very LP - free to good homes - give me a shout.
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Anyone know anything about Nick Ingman's involvement in Geoff Love's 'Close Encounters...' LP? There's three original tracks by Ingman on it including one written with the album's engineer John Kurlander.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (wooly @ Feb. 13 2004,15:25)]picked up a copy of the ubiquitous (but for some reason elusive for me) "Big Terror Movie Themes" on MFP at lunchtime. For the most part, it's a really good album. "Three Days Of The Condor" is a belter.

The drumming is strangely reminiscent of Alf Bigden's work - does anyone know if it actually is him on this one?
          It is 110% definitely Alf Bigden on the 'Big Terror Themes' LP - listen to those beautiful, loose and funky tom-fills, could it be anyone else?! Alf's drumming can also be heard on Geoff Love's 'Big Suspense', 'Themes For Superheroes' and various TV themes LPs of the 1970s.

Alf was also the drummer on Dick Doerschuck's 1975 KPM sessions ('Flamboyant Themes Vol.5&#39. Check out his super-fluid funk grooves on 'Vegas to L.A.'

Alf is absolutely my favourite drummer of all time - he's just incredible, his playing is so loose and funky yet so controlled, perfect and precise, plus there's a really dramatic edge to his playing.

Alf was indeed the one of the drummers on the Mandingo sessions and was de Wolfe's drummer of choice in the 1970s. His playing can be heard on LPs such as 'Heavy Trucking', Nick Ingman's 'Big Beat' and many of Simon Park's library and commercial 70s albums.

His drumming can also be heard on Rogier van Otterloo's brilliant 'On The Move' and 'French Collection' LPs.

For my money, Alf is leagues ahead of many of the supposedly best US funk drummers, and is another example of the world class British musicians who were active in the 1970s.

I've just got hold of Alf's personal details and I'm going to try and do an interview him for a VV article - should be fascinating!

Alf Bigden, Barry Morgan ('Hanged Man&#39 and Bobby Orr ('Spiral&#39 - three of the best drummers I will EVER hear!
          Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Feb. 13 2004,16:26)]Anyone know anything about Nick Ingman's involvement in Geoff Love's 'Close Encounters...' LP? There's three original tracks by Ingman on it including one written with the album's engineer John Kurlander.
            Nick ghost-arranged many of Geoff's mid-70s albums such as 'Big Terror', 'Themes For Superheroes' and all the disco ones.

So, even though Geoff's name is on the front cover, it's actually Nick's work you're listening to.
            Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Alf was also Ronnie Hazelhurst's drummer of choice - if you want to see him in action, he appears in episode 5 on the 'Ever Decreasing Circles series 1' DVD, with Ronnie Price and Dave Richmond. The three of them are also visible in the 'Only Fools and Horses' episode 'The Jolly Boys Outing'.

Bigden, Price and Richmond were also the rhythm section on many a de Wolfe LP!

And if we're talking drummers, Kenny Clare is also brilliant - check virtually any 60s KPM LP to hear him in action!

Comment

a lot of knowledge!!! many thanks, chaps.

i didn't want to assume that it was alf bigden, but i too am a big fan of the "big beat" album on de wolfe, so the bigden / ingman thing totally makes sense on this album. i never knew anything about nick's ghost-arranging!

olly, i hope you can sort out an article with alf for vv. that would be an incredible read.

Comment

Oh, and Seventies Kid, on the subject of ghost arrangers, do you happen to know if Roger Webb ever arranged for Geoff Love? His version of the theme from 'Midweek' has a few Webbish touches to it, I think (it's got a certain similarity to his Chappell track 'The Winners&#39.

Given both Love and Webb's association with Norman Newell, I suspect it's possible, especially as Geoff covered Roger's theme from 'Strange Report' too, but do you happen to know?

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Feb. 13 2004,16:45)]Alf was also Ronnie Hazelhurst's drummer of choice
                    talking of hazelhurst - i have a cd for you, lord thames.

Comment

Ooh, lovely - I'd better get on and do that minidisc then!

Comment

I really really really should get off my arse and type up the nick ingman interview. I actually have so much new info I might ask to visit again. Really nice chap.
                        www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Seventies Kid @ Feb. 13 2004,16:39)]
                          Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Feb. 13 2004,16:26)]Anyone know anything about Nick Ingman&#39;s involvement in Geoff Love&#39;s &#39;Close Encounters...&#39; LP? There&#39;s three original tracks by Ingman on it including one written with the album&#39;s engineer John Kurlander.
                          Nick ghost-arranged many of Geoff&#39;s mid-70s albums such as &#39;Big Terror&#39;, &#39;Themes For Superheroes&#39; and all the disco ones.

So, even though Geoff&#39;s name is on the front cover, it&#39;s actually Nick&#39;s work you&#39;re listening to.
                          Cheers for that, Seventies Kid. That&#39;s been puzzling me for a while now. What about Gil King and Norman Newell. How involved were they in these records? It always seems like their names are stamped on every record out of contractual agreement rather than actual involvment in the sessions.

Comment

Norman Newell was something of a grande fromage in the music biz, I think he was the boss of Supertunes, who produced Geoff&#39;s LPs, and Gil King was one of the regular producers on Newell projects.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Lord Thames @ Feb. 13 2004,16:51)]Oh, and Seventies Kid, on the subject of ghost arrangers, do you happen to know if Roger Webb ever arranged for Geoff Love? His version of the theme from &#39;Midweek&#39; has a few Webbish touches to it, I think (it&#39;s got a certain similarity to his Chappell track &#39;The Winners&#39.

Given both Love and Webb&#39;s association with Norman Newell, I suspect it&#39;s possible, especially as Geoff covered Roger&#39;s theme from &#39;Strange Report&#39; too, but do you happen to know?
                              I can&#39;t say I know for a fact, but I&#39;d say that Webb certainly did arrange for Geoff.

I don&#39;t think Geoff actually arranged many (if any) of his LPs, especially his 70s ones. I too can hear the Web sound stamped all over his 70s MFP output, so I&#39;d say it&#39;s extremely likely that Webb did arrange for him.

I think Duncan Lamont also did some arranging for him, too.
                              Barry Morgan&#39;s brother is a driving instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X