Pickin\' Up On The E String

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickin\' Up On The E String

I finally got the Carol Kay(e) 10" "Pickin' Up On The E String" last week after some concerted searching. I know a lot of you will have this already, but I remember it being in the Nottm branch of Selectadisc back in the day and I adopted my usual foolish approach to reissues - basically entailing the assumption that 1) There'll be plenty of them, 2) No-one else will want it and 3) I'll come back another day and pick it up then. This usually results in my disappointment, but I haven't learned any lessons after countless bad experiences!!

Anyway, can anyone tell me anything about the tunes on here? Namely are they originals that were rediscovered? Or is it some sort of contemporary recording session with Ray Brown, Paul Humphrey et al blowing it up in the 90s? It just sounds so clean yet so vintage, it's a tough call.

Also, should I make haste and acquire the "First Lady On Bass" CD and is it much different?

While I'm here, how about Ten Bassists to worship?

1) Bootsy Collins
    2) Larry Graham
    3) Flea
    4) Carol Kay(e)
    5) Bernard Edwards
    6) Paul McCartney
    7) John Paul Jones
    8) Paul Jackson
    9) Mani
    10) Ronald 'Kool' Bell

Points will be deducted for nominating Mark 'Thunderthumbs' King.

Benicio
    Jet Boy stole my baby.

</span>
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Benicio Del Toffo on 12:16 pm on April 8, 2003
    While I'm here, how about Ten Bassists to worship?

1) Bootsy Collins
    2) Larry Graham
    3) Flea
    4) Carol Kay(e)
    5) Bernard Edwards
    6) Paul McCartney
    7) John Paul Jones
    8) Paul Jackson
    9) Mani
    10) Ronald 'Kool' Bell

Points will be deducted for nominating Mark 'Thunderthumbs' King.

Benicio
    <span =''>

Oh, tish, pshaw, and nonsense!  Only one bass player is worthy of worship:

PINO PALLADINO :cheesy:

You know that frivolous bass players such as George Porter Jr., Jack Bruce, Paul Chambers, Charlie Mingus, Geezer Butler, etc. pale in comparison with the great man!
    A ECOUTER FORT, INVITEZ VOS VOISINS&#33;"Hear this disc loud. Squat your neighbours&#39; ears"

Comment

Anyone else remember &quot;King Thumb&quot; off Rock School?
      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

What about the greatest of them all - Jaco Pastorius.

On a UK tip -

Dave Richmond
        Brian Odgers
        Frank Clarke
        Pete Morgan
        Roy Babbington
        Jeff Clyne
        Toni Campo
        Eric Ford
        Les Hurdle (he copied Jaco's 'singing' fretless style so heavily on some of the early Bruton LPs)

Comment

I just bought that on Cassette from her site a couple of weeks ago for like 7 bucks or something, less than 10 with shipping.

The site will tell you everything I imagine and she answers her e-mails very quickly, so e-mail her.

I think it's [email protected]

Obviously the site is carolkaye.com

I met her in Santa Monica about 2 years ago, when she was doing as live on the air interview for the Internet station I was doing my show at, which has been reincarnated, but is nowhere near the same station.
          Luxuria Music, so www.luxuriamusic.com

I asked her a TON OF STUFF, which she answered without missing a beat.

She, Tommy Tedesco-Guitars, Bud Shank-Flutes/Reeds,
          Larry Knechtal-Keyboards and Shelly Manne-Drums were THE BAND for sooooooooo many killer soundtracks, IT'S CRAZY !

Like, &quot;Lady in Cement&quot; for instance. ROCKIN' !
          Get that soundtrack if you don't have it.

Jack

Comment

His name escapes me (shame) but the bassist with Free was incredible.I think he was only 16 when they recorded 'All Right Now' and the way he plays the 4 string turns that tune around.Everyone knows that bassline.

In my jazz/rock days I would have rated Stanley Clarke at number one.
            Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

Comment

Cheers for the info fellas.

Raj, I actually considered Pino for his sterling work over the years (and for appearing on D'Angelo's 'Voodoo' LP), but I had my teens ruined by various people playing Paul Young's 'No Parlez' LP which is a Pino jamboree. I actually liked the fretless bass too, thanks to Mick Karn, but after hearing 'Wherever I Lay My Pissing Hat' constantly, one tires.

Benicio
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

</span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Mumbles on 9:30 am on April 9, 2003
                His name escapes me (shame) but the bassist with Free was incredible.I think he was only 16 when they recorded 'All Right Now' and the way he plays the 4 string turns that tune around.Everyone knows that bassline.
                <span =''>

Andy Fraser, what a tasteful bass playa!  All of Free were quite young, Paul Kossoff was barely out of his teens and was playing like a seasoned old blues man.

Benicio, I only mentioned Pino because of something funny Manzo said about the influence of &quot;Wherever I Lay My Pissing Hat!&quot;  But you are right, he has done stirling work over the years, highlights for me being the last Terry Callier album, John McLaughlin's The Promise LP and the new Common LP (which I think is quite spiffing and very bass heavy).  But being a session muso, you do have to play the odd turkey in order to earn a crust.

Talking of session musos, another British bass player who I think is very underated is Guy Pratt, last heard playing on the lurvly ducky Lemon Jelly single.
                A ECOUTER FORT, INVITEZ VOS VOISINS&#33;"Hear this disc loud. Squat your neighbours&#39; ears"

Comment

What about Herbie Flowers!  'Can I Kick It' wouldnt have rocked without him
                  working together for better bass and treble

Comment

</span>
                    Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]Quote: from cell on 6:58 pm on April 9, 2003
                    What about Herbie Flowers!  'Can I Kick It' wouldnt have rocked without him
                    <span =''>

Doh! It's always the obvious ones!

Comment

Have to put in props on the bass front for Kim Deal (Pixies, 'Cannonball') Tina Weymouth (Genius Of Love, Talking Heads), and the bloke from Queen whose name I don't know on just ONE of whose basslines (Another One Bites The Dust) Sugarhill built an empire! Just think: without the poodle-permed crap-anthem peddlers, no Kurtis Blow, Gradmaster Flash...

Jah Wobble's had his moments, as well, if you like that sort of thing. And Ashley Hutchings on the early Fairport Convention LPs... Sly or Robbie, too (whichever one of them isn't drumming on all those classic Jamaican records). Can never remember which did what...

(Edited by wayne at 7:30 pm on April 9, 2003)
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

What about Geezer Butler from Black Sabbath ?
                        Or whatever the Bass player from Black Sabbath's name is.
                        He was really good.

I saw a 3 man hard rock band called WILD TURKEY open up for Sabbath in 1971 at Winterland, SF CA, that featured the Bassist for Jethro Tull and he was a freakin' monster.

Saw Jaco with Weather Report also at Winterland when Heavy Weather came out. Al Dimeola was who I went to see and I think it was his 2nd LP, ELEGANT GYPSY just came out and Lenny White opened up the show.
                        That was a really good show and well worth the
                        &#365.50 for the ticket :-)

YES, I AM VERY OLD !

Jack

Comment

Leroy Sibbles
                          Robbie Shakespeare
                          Ron Carter
                          Adam Yauch
                          Tony Butler...
                          You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Noel Redding.
                            If he's good enough for Jimi, he's good enough for me.
                            And nobody's mentioned the late great John Entwhistle, either. Shame on you.
                            Oh, and how could I forget Tab Martin?

Comment

more bassists:

jannick top
                              chuck rainey
                              that bloke out of the headhunters - paul jackson?

oh, and King Thumb off Rockschool is Henry Thomas. he's still around on the London session scene - my drum teacher gigged with him recently and was saying he's one of the most solid 'in the pocket' players around. quite happy playing a simple groove but making it rock solid for a whole gig without mucking around - so many talented pro's can't resist showing off (anyone who's been to one of the dep gigs at Jazz Cafe will know what i mean!)
                              http://www.blaxploitation.com
                              Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Working...
                              X