Ice cream remembered........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice cream remembered........

As it's a luvverly sunny day (or at least it is within the reaches of beautiful Greenford), I thought I wouldn't mind an ice cream. But which one?

The crisps thread got me thinking. Ice Cream of days gone by. And I remember this;

A Screwball - a swirl of vanilla and strawberry ice cream carefully piled into a plastic cone, on top of a ball of bubblegum, and eaten with a mini plastic spatula, that should have been attached to the side, but always fell off towards the evergrowing collection at the bottom of the freezer.

Happy, I said, happy days.

'Witches Hat' - any overstocked lolly (usually cherry brandy for some reason) with a small cornet with a dollop of ice cream stuck inverted on the top corner.

Only from the van natch, pref Verossi (yellow and orange) but Dagastino (blue and white) will also do.
    Matt Hero

Comment

Maybe Wayne or Ben can add on to this, but when I lived in the Lenton area over ten years ago (bloody hell&#33 an ice cream van used to come round in the dead of winter, ringing it's bell and stopping for trade. I should have paid more attention at the time but I always wondered why? Does this still happen, or did it happen anywhere else in Nottingham?

Oh, and my vote goes for shit homemade lollies using orange squash, which you can suck the flavour out of in ten seconds, leaving you with a tasteless icicle to finish.
      You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

There used to be a revolting Count Dracula one that was black on the outside and red on the inside.

Also something called a beer lolly (no discernible alcohol content).
        Endless Tripe

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Feb. 19 2004,11:29)]Oh, and my vote goes for shit homemade lollies using orange squash, which you can suck the flavour out of in ten seconds, leaving you with a tasteless icicle to finish.
          i've often wondered why this is - perhaps commercially-made lollies have some kind of "taste loss inhibitor" in the recipe.

"fab" lollies were very good. and one of my enduring memories of summer in the 1970s was the brightly-coloured "lyons maid" sign, which could often be seen outside newsagents where ice creams were peddled. yum.

Comment

Yep, said van still tours the scene. Lenton's full of students you see, it's basically a massive student park now! And where there are students, there is weed. And where there is weed, there are munchies.

So, not only does the van go round every day of the year, but increasingly it does a couple of circuits!

My ice-cream memories centre around Mivvis, Dracula lollies (maybe Lyon's Maid? They were black ice over a red, soft centre, God knows what flavour the ice was meant to be, 'black' flavour perhaps - E numbers ahoy&#33 and that white one with a skeleton on it in red outline?

Bring back Mr Softy-Top "Yer stupid set o' bastards!!".

Benicio
            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Feb. 19 2004,11:41)]and that white one with a skeleton on it in red outline?
              Shit I'd forgotten those - they were great. And those feet shaped ones. And my perennial favourite is a 'Feast'...

Anyway that explains the Lenton mystery - I half suspected they were dealing from the van but that makes far more sense.
              You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Ice cream vans are deffo are northern phenomena! When I would go visit my nan we would have 'flo' drive up every night and she would ring her bell. The whole street would come out to get a cone!

Last time I was up there I went and got a cone and she recognised me instantly! Must have been years since I seen her - still doing the round well over 40 years or so! Proper trooper. She even gave me an extra scoop for free. ahhhh. Brings back such nice childhood memories.

Now who had a 'pop' man too?
                www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

They&#39;re not just northern Serms - we had them in Sarf Lahndan too&#33; And a rag&#39;n&#39;bone man...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Rich Hero @ Feb. 19 2004,11:58)]They&#39;re not just northern Serms - we had them in Sarf Lahndan too&#33; And a rag&#39;n&#39;bone man...
                    I remember the rag&#39;n&#39;bone man from my childhood. No horse I&#39;m afraid, just a flat bed truck and a man ringing a bell.

Tell kids about this and they&#39;d assume you were making it up. I was telling Caz that TV used to go off during the day and she looked at me like I was mad.
                    Matt Hero

Comment

We did&#33; When I lived in Worksop. Everything seemed to be in vans. We had an ice-cream van of course, a pop van, greengrocer van , Mr Grimsby the fresh-fish seller and a chip van.

Where I live now (rural Notts) had all except the pop van until the late 80s. The milkman always had some pop with him. I think we&#39;re just down to the grocer and the ice-cream man now, but Mr Grimsby may still be around. Do you think that&#39;s his real name, lucky that he went into fishmongery eh?

Benicio

PS Lyon&#39;s Maid King Cone&#39;s - pissed on Cornettos.
                      Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Zoom ice lollies. Eeee&#39;d up to the max, and still around today.

http://www.kzwp.com/lyons/group2.htm

I have no great compulsion to return to the heady days of 1970s ice cream (which seemed to be made up of a combination of canal water and fabric dye). Today&#39;s stuff is much better. Mars, Snickers, Twix, Galaxy etc... mmmm&#33;

oh, and our milk man used to sell pop. that disgusting &#39;radioactive green&#39; flourescent &#39;american soda&#39;, no doubt sourced from the outflow at Sellafield.
                        http://www.blaxploitation.com
                        Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Feb. 19 2004,12:03)]PS Lyon&#39;s Maid King Cone&#39;s - pissed on Cornettos.
                          pop man? our milkman still carries pop. and orange juice.

not so sure about the king cone thing, ben. wasn&#39;t the king cone quite a lot smaller than the original ist issue cornetto?

i remember a time when the &quot;just one cornetto...give it to me...not bloody likely, they&#39;re 30p&quot; gag was in the repetoire of every bad comedian on ITV...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] ]Now who had a &#39;pop&#39; man too?
                            When I was a little &#39;un in Crewe we did - aaah...Dandelion and Burdock and Red Cola to your door&#33; When I lived in the outer Hebrides *everthing* arrived in a van - shoes, pants etc.....

Them massive long ice pops which cost about 2p (think they are still only around 10p) and came in the best chemical colours ever - why was the Coke flavoured one blue
                            "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Feb. 19 2004,12:15)]Them massive long ice pops which cost about 2p (think they are still only around 10p) and came in the best chemical colours ever - why was the Coke flavoured one blue
                              ha&#33; i remember one particular brand was called &quot;so long sucker&quot;.

Comment

Working...
                              X