Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOWNY
    replied
    What about "Merlins Brew's" Mint Choc heaven and Cresta ! "It's Frothy Maaaan"

and getting 10p back on a bottle of Lowcocks !!!!! Ave it !

Leave a comment:

• vibra
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (ladyboygrimsby @ Feb. 19 2004,15:58)]Hey, Vibra, how long ago were you in Whitstable? My wife lived in Seasalter and my father-in-law was a teacher there. Weirdly, he taught the Midfield General (from Skint) at chess.
    Woah.. which school? I resided in Whitstable town from 1974 - 1995, excluding brief excursions to Canterbury and London. Such a smashing little place, although my family moved to Tunbridge Wells so I rarely go back there these days.

On a day like today, you'd want to get a pint in at this pub and sit on a bench outside, taking in the sound of the waves and the salty sea air.. aaaah. Also the scene of many of my youthful follies..            

Leave a comment:

• ladyboygrimsby
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (vibra @ Feb. 19 2004,13:13)]

When I was a young bwoy it was all about the:

Funny Feet
    Zoom
    Cider Apples
    Snowballs
    Mr Men
    Feast
    Ice Poles
    Mivvis

I also have a particularly sad memory akin to Matt's previous "bird shat in my crisps" story. I grew up in Whitstable in Kent, and on the sea front there they used to have a little kiosk (great word) which used to sell yer proper ice cream, in scoops. We're talking choc 'n' mint, triple choc, rum & raisin, peach melba and all that good stuff. Anyway, I think it was the first time I'd been bought a double scoop of ice-cream (consisting of two different flavours, natch), and so I was quite excited about this. Me, my bro and my mum walked down to the beach, where there's quite a large sea wall that you walk along and has a small jump down before you hit the beach. I think you can guess what happened from there. Just picture me about 5 years old, tears streaming down face, with a scoopless double cornet and a pile of melting ice cream on the shingle below...
    Hey, Vibra, how long ago were you in Whitstable? My wife lived in Seasalter and my father-in-law was a teacher there. Weirdly, he taught the Midfield General (from Skint) at chess.

Growing up in Grimsby, we didn't have fish vans because it was, er, Grimsby and everyone was a fisherman. However, we had so much fish at home, we used to go to the chippy with an enamel plate with our fish on it and get them to the fry the fish for us. Then we'd buy some chips and scraps to go with 'em. Yum!

Leave a comment:

• Lord Thames
    replied
    Vibra's post reminds me - has anyone else got the 'With Lyon's Maid You're Laughing' LP, consisting of a recording of a special musical put on at the Talk Of The Town for all the Lyons Maid sales execs to celebrate big profits in 1973? Denis Norden wrote the lyrics!

Despite being an 80s creation, the Walls Feast (formerly Big Feast, of course) has certainly secured its place in the pantheon of ice-cream greats, but I still mourn the demise of the same company's Funny Feet - they were reet lovely!

Leave a comment:

• vibra
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Si Cheeba @ Feb. 19 2004,13:27)]what about Mini Milks

& memories of...

Oyster Wafers
    Mini Milks were good, but Oysters were the bomb-diggy Cheebs! I knew there was another one that eluded me.. I used to get one of those from the ice cream man whenever I was feeling rich (25p I seem to remember!!&#33

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Respect due, Sermad!!!

LOL!!!

Leave a comment:

• Si Cheeba
    replied
    what about Mini Milks

& memories of...

Oyster Wafers

Nougat Wafer Blocks

they had it goin' on!!!

Leave a comment:

• vibra
    replied

When I was a young bwoy it was all about the:

Funny Feet
    Zoom
    Cider Apples
    Snowballs
    Mr Men
    Feast
    Ice Poles
    Mivvis

I also have a particularly sad memory akin to Matt's previous "bird shat in my crisps" story. I grew up in Whitstable in Kent, and on the sea front there they used to have a little kiosk (great word) which used to sell yer proper ice cream, in scoops. We're talking choc 'n' mint, triple choc, rum & raisin, peach melba and all that good stuff. Anyway, I think it was the first time I'd been bought a double scoop of ice-cream (consisting of two different flavours, natch), and so I was quite excited about this. Me, my bro and my mum walked down to the beach, where there's quite a large sea wall that you walk along and has a small jump down before you hit the beach. I think you can guess what happened from there. Just picture me about 5 years old, tears streaming down face, with a scoopless double cornet and a pile of melting ice cream on the shingle below...

Leave a comment:

• Rich Hero
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Feb. 19 2004,12:30)]...Mr Grimsby the fish man? Is there some Vulture moonlighting going on???
    I don't know, from fishmonger to international jetset DJ. How the mighty have fallen.

And the newfangled lollies maybe better Ed, but my joke repertoire has really suffered (you may have noticed) since they stopped printing them on the sticks...

Leave a comment:

• Belson
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Feb. 19 2004,12:03)]PS Lyon's Maid King Cone's - pissed on Cornettos.
    And the rawked out theme tune on the ad was nothing short of Spinal Tap meets Peter Frampton. Marv!

Whatever happened to the good old Raspberry Mivi - the one that had gelatonous 'berries' covering the smooth vanilla ice contained within?

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    ...Mr Grimsby the fish man? Is there some Vulture moonlighting going on??

Sermad??

Leave a comment:

• wayne
    replied
    And could you beat the brick of cheap ice cream from Spar that tasted mostly of cardboard, a slice of which could be sandwiched between two soft, slightly stale wafers, because "why waste money on the van when you can make it at home just as well".

See also: VG 'economy range' orange squash diluted to less than half strength and poured into tupperware 'lolly moulds'...voila!

But on a good day - A Funny Foot, a can of Irn Bru or Tizer, a big who 'who could down the Irn Bru/Tizer fastest and produce the longest sustained burp' contest down on the 'rec.

Can you do better than this for an ad-line, though? Walls Ices - Good And Big. Superb bit of copyrighting...

Leave a comment:

• sermad
    replied
    Dandelion and burdock is the total bomb! I totally live on the stuff.

I used to love the pop man cos I would get 2p for every bottle I brought back to him. I used to go round collecting up everyone's empties....aah those delboy days started oh so young.

Leave a comment:

• wooly
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Feb. 19 2004,12:15)]Them massive long ice pops which cost about 2p (think they are still only around 10p) and came in the best chemical colours ever - why was the Coke flavoured one blue
    ha! i remember one particular brand was called "so long sucker".

Leave a comment:

• LDJB
    replied
    Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Now who had a 'pop' man too?
    When I was a little 'un in Crewe we did - aaah...Dandelion and Burdock and Red Cola to your door! When I lived in the outer Hebrides *everthing* arrived in a van - shoes, pants etc.....

Them massive long ice pops which cost about 2p (think they are still only around 10p) and came in the best chemical colours ever - why was the Coke flavoured one blue

Leave a comment:

Working...
X