• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wooly
    Ugly Custard
    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wayne @ Feb. 20 2004,13:17)]Too knackered to think up my own entertaining Top 5 just now, so here's a link to my all time favourite Top 5 by someone else:

http://www.popcultmag.com/passing....s1.html

Presenting the five tasteless porcelain figurines of all time...
    quite incredible and quite revolting.

Comment

• theeman
      Lonely Jelly
      • May 2002

gilda gives me the horn
      http://www.blaxploitation.com
      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

• Belson
        Lonely Jelly
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by [b
        Quote[/b] (theeman @ Feb. 20 2004,13:41)]gilda gives me the horn
        What.......french horn?

Ed - for you. Ya large.

Comment

• Rich Hero
          Mad Curry
          • Jun 2002

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (sermad @ Feb. 20 2004,12:09)]Christ I'm confused. So tell me again who I am again...
          Jeez, just had a pub lunch and so I'm confused too. But thinking about it, I think you're both probably very scary. Like Sparks. With Sermad being Russ and Soulmad being Ron.

You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

• wooly
            Ugly Custard
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] (Belson @ Feb. 20 2004,13:47)]Ed - for you. Ya large.

http://gowest.homestead.com/gallery_fans.html
            This, from the Go West biog...

It was 1982 when Peter Cox and Richard Drummie first pulled their artistic talents together to form Go West. With only a cheese wire and a pack of cards, but lacking a band or record company, Peter and Richard decided, with the help of their manager, John Glover, to sweet-talk a producer, go into the studio and belt out two of their songs for themselves. These songs were 'We Close Our Eyes' and 'Call Me'. Within a matter of days John Glover was threatening Chrysalis Records and Go West signed their first record deal.Their debut single 'We Close Our Eyes' was released in 1985 and reached number four in the UK charts, and became a top ten hit in the USA. The success of 'We Close Our Eyes' was followed by three other top ten hits; 'Call Me', 'Goodbye Girl' and 'Don't Look Down'. Strangely, no-one remembers these.

Their debut self-titled album, Go West sold 1.5 million copies worldwide and established the pair not just as a one-hit wonder but as a pair of estate agent lookalikes. They became the focus of tabloid attention, gracing Sun covers and making numerous career mistakes. In 1986 they won a BRIT Award for 'Best British Industry Joke'.

Their second album Dancing On The Couch was released in 1987 to deaf ears. The singles 'True Colours', 'I Want To Hear It From You' and 'The King Is Dead' didn't do anything, and the album sank without trace.

In 1992 their third album Indian Summer was more mellow, justifying more than ever their early description by legendary producer Arif Mardin as 'modern Motown'. Sermad loved it, of course. It sold three copies worldwide.

Aces and Kings, the album released in 1993, was a desperate attempt by their record company as a "collection of their greatest hits", and the single 'Tracks Of My Tears', a re-working of Smokey Robinson's classic, was released from this album and entered the Top 200 singles chart.

In 1994 Peter Cox made the move to Los Angeles where he decided to base himself and go through coke hell. That year he recorded his self-indulgent solo album with EMI Records. He released two singles, 'Ain't Gonna Cry Again', which reached the top thirty in the UK, and 'If You Walk Away'. Peter has continued to live in the States, whilst everyone ignores him completely.

In April 2001 Go West released an album, The Best of Go West - Live At The NEC, a concert recorded during their last live tour together in 1993. This really was a rather desperate attempt by the record company to recoup a few more quid from their back-catalogue. The album also included two brand new tracks 'All Day, All Night' and the tender angst of 'Hangin' On For Dear Life', which says it all.

Over the past 18 months Go West have performed a number of live shows around the UK including two tours in shopping centres.

Over the past five years Richard has concentrated on his songwriting and record production and has worked with loads of people you couldn't give a bugger about - Ritchie Neville, Lena Fiagbe, Robbie Craig, Next Of Kin, 21st Century Girls, Kenny Thomas and Debbie Gibson.

Comment

• Benicio Del Toffo
              Ugly Custard
              • Dec 2002

That's class. I remember my Polish Catholic auntie getting me a picture book about a little Native American girl who found Jesus. She dies of smallpox in the end (no doubt caught from infected sheets traded by cheeky settlers), but it's OK cos she knew she would be welcomed by Baby Jesus.

Religion eh? Not that I want to offend anyone, but it's a pile of wank.

Benicio
              Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• LDJB
                Chocolate Rain
                • Dec 2001

I once had a pee next to Mark E Smith of the Fall (just to clarify, we were both standing at a latrine - I didn't just walk up and have a slash next to him for no good reason).
                "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

• son of stan
                  Lonely Jelly
                  • Feb 2003

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (LDJB @ Feb. 20 2004,14:36)]I once had a pee next to Mark E Smith of the Fall (just to clarify, we were both standing at a latrine - I didn't just walk up and have a slash next to him for no good reason).
                  I had the same scenario with Bobby Womack.

My, what an eclectic thread this is.
                  Endless Tripe

Comment

• theeman
                    Lonely Jelly
                    • May 2002

my bro's mate once kicked a toilet door in at an awards do to find limahl inside having a dump.
                    http://www.blaxploitation.com
                    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

• wayne
                      Lonely Jelly
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (theeman @ Feb. 19 2004,15:45)]my bro's mate once kicked a toilet door in at an awards do to find limahl inside having a dump.
                      Was that before or after your mate kicked the cubicle door in?
                      a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

• Benicio Del Toffo
                        Ugly Custard
                        • Dec 2002

Jeez! You don't want to get caught in the same cubicle as Limahl, quite clearly gay as a window.

When the Blackbyrds played The Social in Nottm a couple of years ago, I pushed the guitar player (Orville?) out of the way so I could spew.

I just can't hold my drink, not even in the presence of 70s funk heroes.

Benicio
                        Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

• son of stan
                          Lonely Jelly
                          • Feb 2003

One of the cast of Eastenders drinks in one of my locals. He's always disappearing into the toliet cubicle. Spends ages in there. Must have some kind of digestive disorder, poor fella.
                          Endless Tripe

Comment

• emperor tomato ketchup
                            Chocolate Rain
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by [b
                            Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Feb. 20 2004,14:54)]Jeez! You don't want to get caught in the same cubicle as Limahl, quite clearly gay as a window.
                            I heard the words limahl, catamite and Paul Gambucini in the same sentence one. Bound to be lies of course, please don't sue me.
                            Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• emperor tomato ketchup
                              Chocolate Rain
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (theeman @ Feb. 20 2004,14:45)]my bro's mate once kicked a toilet door in at an awards do to find limahl inside having a dump.
                              Depending on how you read this it sound like he was specifically trying to find limahl having a dump.

Actually where's the Limahl smiley then, nasty bleach mullet with roots showing. Actually maybe we can make do with this guy
                              Enthusiastic vagueness passes for scholarship in the twilight world of the disc-jockey.

John Peel

Comment

• Rich Hero
                                Mad Curry
                                • Jun 2002

The 'Limahl' is the new 'Hoxton fin'. But I reckon Nick Beggs had the best hair in Kajagoogoo - bleached curly perm on top with rats tail mullet at the back. Noice!
                                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                                X