Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamm

Hello Chaps.

Where can I buy the new GAMMs in London?

Anything else I should be looking out for?

Cheers.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

All the shops should have the 'crazy in kingston' gamm. Not sure about the others.

Get that James Brown re-edit 12. I was told it was by stones throw actually.

Get the Grey Boy 12 on ubiquity. Co-produced by Quantic with sharon jones on vocals.

All the new daptones are worth a look - specially that 'misty' one. Its on the yellow label.

I havent seen it but the Black Grass album sampler needs picking up.

Dum dem dum. I got the La Carnival Lp (stones throw) on saturday. I havent listened to it yet.
    www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

Thanks Sermad.

I have not heard your recommendations. I will cop a listen.

I am intrigued by the James Brown re-edit. Is that the 12&quot; with the latin remake?

Comment

There were a wee thread about this a few days go.

JBs The/THE PRESIDENTS/MACEO &amp; THE JBs/JAMES BROWN: What It Is Is What It Is (Sound Of Champions US) (MP3) - Funk/rare groove/disco/reissues
             12&quot;: The JB&#39;s-&quot;Soul Pride&quot; (edit)/The Presidents-&quot;It&#39;s My Thang&quot; (edit)/Maceo &amp; The JB&#39;s-&quot;Tighten Up&quot; (live in Dallas edit)/James Brown-&quot;Mind Power&quot; (alt take edit) (SOC 101) [6.99] - add

Awesome stuff.

That latin jb remake was a 12 that was booted off this japanese only 12&quot;. The giuotil remix makes me dance a very merry jig&#33;

Comment

I picked up a nice triple 7&quot; pack recently: &#39;Aestuarium presents Chicago One-Stop: Staff Picks, Vol.1&#39; with tasty tracks from Joey Irving, Wayne Carter and Sugar Hill. All &#39;undiscovered Midwest Soul and Funk&#39; and jolly good they are too ...
          FunkyDown
          Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Does that come with a paper binder? Kind of green?

If so then yes thats a seconded on the dope front&#33; Got this a few months back and its jolly nice.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (sermad @ Feb. 23 2004,18:18)]Does that come with a paper binder? Kind of green?

If so then yes thats a seconded on the dope front&#33; Got this a few months back and its jolly nice.
              yeah - green paper sleeves in one poly sleeve with black card binder/wrap thingy. Noice&#33;
              FunkyDown

Comment

Ahh&#33; The Aestuarium triple-pack. A great purchase. Sermad, you say buy everything on Gamm well I say buy everything on Aestuarium - &quot;The Minstrel&quot; from the Philip Cohran album is amazing.

Comment

Paul Murphy - Soul Call 7&quot; on Afro Art is interesting.

not bought much new stuff otherwise recently, something i need to remedy

Comment

Let me just clarify this: the James Brown alternate take of Mind Power, called &#39;What it is is what it is&#39; is some kind of outtake, rather than an edit done by someone else... Jonny played me this over the phone and it sounded awesome, but on the other side is an actual edit of another JB track, with the break looped...

Is this correct? because I like things like unreleased versions and outtakes, but edited/looped tracks totally suck...
                    http://wakeupanddie.com
                    http://weirdgearnyc.com
                    http://makethingsmatter.com

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                      Quote[/b] (Nick Cope @ Feb. 23 2004,23:30)]Let me just clarify this: the James Brown alternate take of Mind Power, called &#39;What it is is what it is&#39; is some kind of outtake, rather than an edit done by someone else... Jonny played me this over the phone and it sounded awesome, but on the other side is an actual edit of another JB track, with the break looped...

Is this correct? because I like things like unreleased versions and outtakes, but edited/looped tracks totally suck...
                      I&#39;ll do a comparison tomorrow - I&#39;ve got Soul Pride (in two parts I think) on a German Polydor James Brown comp, complete with break, which is pretty long in the first place, so I&#39;ll check and see if they&#39;ve extended it at all.

Of course, someone may already have checked that
                      FunkyDown

Comment

this reminds me, do you guys know anything about: collectables - the levy jive.. they played it on solidsteel, from some label called sub tub players.. searched the entire intarnet trying to find the 12&quot;&#33; without any luck of course. cant get that bassline out of my head, too funky. I NEED THE WAX&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                          Quote[/b] (Devil McDOOM @ Feb. 24 2004,00:40)]this reminds me, do you guys know anything about: collectables - the levy jive.. they played it on solidsteel, from some label called sub tub players.. searched the entire intarnet trying to find the 12&quot;&#33; without any luck of course. cant get that bassline out of my head, too funky. I NEED THE WAX&#33;
                          I love that tune too. These fellas are from Manchester. The first two 12&quot;s were smallish pressings (1000 only I think), and then the RSL &#39;Wesley Music&#39; was a huge tune and so got repressed. I have seen the other two now and again, so if I do cop hold of either one I&#39;ll grab &#39;em for you, aaaight?

On the new music tip I&#39;d definitely recommend the forthcoming 12&quot; on Ninja Tune by Skalpel. Polish jazz breaks baby, ah yeah... Rock the Wroclaw&#33;
                          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

according to someone in Soul Brother all the tracks on the James Brown bootleg have been on Funky People comps before, but on CD only, so that might imply they aren&#39;t re-edits in the looped sense, but alternative versions...

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (vibra @ Feb. 24 2004,01:44)]I love that tune too. These fellas are from Manchester. The first two 12&quot;s were smallish pressings (1000 only I think), and then the RSL &#39;Wesley Music&#39; was a huge tune and so got repressed. I have seen the other two now and again, so if I do cop hold of either one I&#39;ll grab &#39;em for you, aaaight?
                              Yeah, that would be great&#33; Not familiar with &#39;Wesley Music&#39; but if its as good as Levy Jive it gotta be good.  

Comment

Working...
                              X