Lazy Gits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Gits

I caught a bit of a programme on BBC2 last Saturday- I think it was something like 'I Love 1971'. Anyway, some designer was blabbing on about the introduction of the Raleigh Chopper and they then proceeded to show a clip of the bike in action.The lazy arsed producer decided that 'Lust for Life' by Iggy Pop was a suitable soundtrack - yeah if you were cycling through a time tunnel 6 years into the future!

What shall we see next? Footage of the Beatles at the Cavern cutting to people pogoing at the Vortex?
    Back to Neuuuuuuuuuu!

My personal favorite was a John Godber play at the crucible in Sheffield that tried to use 70s songs to set the 'period mood' - but completely arsed-up the timescales (Supertramp's 'Breakfast in America' led us less than seamlessly into the Summer of 1975; Tom Robinson band's '2468 Motorway' into '76, and so on). If the play hadn't been so #### lazy anyway, it probably wouldn't have irritated me half as much that they hadn't bothered to do the basic research of...well, having a quick look at the sleeve/label. Hardly a major undertaking, I wouldn't have thought...

a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Speaking as someone who is forced into watching the abysmal 'Heartbeat' most weekends, I'm used to the supposedly period musical backing leaping forward years on TV shows.

He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

I never realised Levis started making their twisty jeans in the 60s until tuning in to Hertbeat...
        Now this!

Comment

</span>
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Mumbles on 6:48 pm on Mar. 25, 2003
          I caught a bit of a programme on BBC2 last Saturday- I think it was something like 'I Love 1971'.
          <span =''>

It's a series called 'Designing the Decades', and so as last Saturday's programme was actually about design throughout the 70s, the use of Iggy was on point.

I reckon it's a pretty good programme, taking in classic clothing, architecture and product design, with some great archive footage. If you listened closely there were actually a couple of pretty funky easy beats in there as well (neither of which I knew) - I'm sure I rememeber a fairly tasty bit of 'loungecore' during the jacuzzi feature.
          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

yeah, not a bad programme.
            how the 'I Love ...' programmes should have been (i.e. speaking to people who actually know what they're talking about)

Comment

You're all lucky to be able to watch this, *I* have to watch 'Casualty' instead
              Matt Hero

Comment

Matt,
                I've got this great thing, called a Video Recorder.....but I've already taped over the 70's design thing or I'd have let you borrow it. Ah well.
                Stop wasting your money on records and get a proper hobby.

Comment

I admit I'm something of a 'recording quality snob'. I have a TiVo, which is great unless you want to record things that are on at the same time (only the one tuner y'see) - and since BBC2 doesn't do the multiple late night repeats that other channels do I'm a bit stuffed. Oh, I'll just wait for the UK History repeats I s'pose
                  Matt Hero

Comment

Arse. I knew there was something I meant to tape on Saturday night. My parents were designers in the 70's (and still are), but can't work a video recorder

And I wouldn't have minded seeing it too ...
                    FunkyDown
                    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Dr Rubber, What field did your parents work in ? Without wanting to hijack the thread, I work in Interior Design and blah blah blah.
                      Stop wasting your money on records and get a proper hobby.

Comment

Both have done stuff in interiors, dad's a furniture designer, mum used to have a soft furnishing business (curtains etc), but has retrained as a reflexologist ... !

Dad still designs for Michael Tyler, and the pair of them often put together exhibition stands and showrooms etc
                        FunkyDown
                        Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

It's a new series so I'm positive it would be shown again in the not too distant future - besides, obviously the 80s and 90s progs still to go..
                          Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                          X