New york

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New york

I will be in New York at the end of March and would be grateful for some recommendations on bars, quality restaurants and disco dancing clubs.
    records - one a week mixcloud
    records - one a week soundcloud

there's a good bar right at the top (north end) of union square. it's in the middle of the square by the park, just over the road from a large bookshop, in an old stone building with colonnades. the name's something to do with red or russia maybe?
    http://www.blaxploitation.com
    Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

When are you going? And which days? The club editor at Time Out's a mate.

There are a few things that have just closed, like Halcyon in Brooklyn. But then there are three big clubs that have just opened one of which, Crobar, is doing an after-hours party (4am onwards) on Sunday mornings run by John Davies who used to do Body & Soul.

Best place for brunch (esp. on a Sunday):
      The Coffee Shop, Union Square. You might have to queue, but it's worth it. Good for star spotting, too. Malcolm McLaren was there last time I was over.

If you need record shops, let me know. I'll think of some groovy places to eat.
      http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

Mr LadyBoyGrimsby & Mr Eman - Thank you for your suggestions.

Mr LadyBoyGrimsby - I shall be in New York Thursday 25 Mar until Monday 29 March. If you know of something special going on during this weekend period then let me know. I would be grateful.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Feb. 24 2004,14:56)]I will be in New York at the end of March and would be grateful for some recommendations on bars, quality restaurants and disco dancing clubs.
          You'll get all 3 here! If you contact Lee beforehand & take a box of records with you, you may well get free grub for a DJ set! Maybe

Magnetic Brooklyn
          new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Cheers Col Wolfe, looks like an interesting place.

Anymore quality restuarants, bars and discos? Is Body&amp;Soul still going? Last time I went, about 6 years ago, I caught some good Desco shows.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (left hand corner @ Mar. 01 2004,10:58)]Cheers Col Wolfe, looks like an interesting place.

Anymore quality restuarants, bars and discos? Is Body&amp;Soul still going? Last time I went, about 6 years ago, I caught some good Desco shows.
              Body &amp; Soul&#39;s finished, but François is doing a Monday night party at (I think) Cielo: a dub night.
              http://www.djhistory.com

Comment

DAPTONE is still doing lots of live action -if you liked the DESCO stuff...

here&#39;s their latest mailout:-

D A P T O N E R E C O R D S N E W S

· Gigs Gigs and More Gigs
                · Interview with Sharon Jones on the web.

SUGARMAN 3 &amp; CO. Featuring FUNK &amp; SOUL LEGEND LEE FIELDS

The Return of Sugarman 3 &amp; Co. Featuring Lee Fields.
                This Coming Tuesday March 2nd
                FrankÂ’s Lounge in Ft. Green Brooklyn

If you have not been to FrankÂ’s Lounge it is one of our favorite bars in the city.
                This will be a free gig for all the Funk and Soul Music fans in the NY area.

Franks Lounge is located at: 660 Fulton St.
                Here is your link for directions.
                www.frankscocktaillounge.com/html/location.html

SHARON JONES &amp; THE DAP-KINGS

For all you Sharon Fans there is a great 20 min. streaming video interview with the #1 Soul Sister her self. Check it out – good footage of the Dap-Kings getting down as well.

For all our friends in Boston
                DonÂ’t missÂ…
                Miss Sharon Jones &amp; The Dap-Kings
                Friday March 12
                T.T The Bears Place 10 Brooklyn St. Cambridge Mass.
                www.ttthebears.com

The Dap-Kings are back In Brooklyn
                Saturday March 13th
                South Paw. 125 Fifth Ave Brooklyn NY
                www.spsounds.com

Sharon Jones and The dap-kings at
                Tuesday March 23
                Franks Lounge 660 Fulton St. Brooklyn NY
                www.frankscocktaillounge.com/html/location.html

Keep Putting Up Soul
                Daptone Records

Comment

As my trip to NY is coming up soon, I thought I&#39;d stick this to the top and try and get some more info on places to check for drinking, eating and disco dancing. I won&#39;t be digging in the crates but I hope to be digging into some top class nosh so any recommendations on quality restaurants would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the replies I have received so far.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X