Hacked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacked?

A quick question to the more computer literate among you.

Have I been hacked?

Last week, my work started receiving virus e-mails and some were e-mailed to me.

I didn't open them, just deleted them.

Now both Ladyboygrimsby and my Girlfriend have received e-mails from both of my separate e-mail accounts that have a virus - and I aint sent them!

My Girlfriend has also got a mail from LBG that he didn't send (I think?&#33 that had a virus.

What can I do to get rid of this foul scourge upon my good name?

Has a nasty virus infected my computer or just my e-mail accounts and if the latter, how the blooming hell did it do it?
    He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Sounds like your computer has been infected with some sort of virus. You need some anti-virus software and a full system scan. Basically no one should be online without some anti-virus software and a decent firewall these days. This site will scan your computer for free although personally I'd get something like Norton Internet Security which contains NAV and a firewall. I'm not sure what it costs to buy but *cough*Kazaa Lite*cough* ahem, excuse me.

Comment

I got a suspicious looking email with attachment off you earlier today Hayd - I just deleted it. Chances are everyone in your personal address book has received one!
      I can snailmail you the latest Norton Antivirus disc if you want.
      new SPOKE release: >>> SEE HERE <<< RKM LIBRARY BEATS

Comment

Hey&#33; All the emails I get from Hayd are &#39;dodgy&#39; or &#39;suspect&#39;. . &#33; &#33; &#33;

Sorry to hear you got troubles bro - was damn good to catch up with you at the weekend.

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Feb. 24 2004,20:03)]Now both Ladyboygrimsby and my Girlfriend have received e-mails from both of my separate e-mail accounts that have a virus - and I aint sent them&#33;
          There is a virus doing the rounds that sets up it&#39;s own email server on the infected computer then sends emails to any address with the from addresses of other people in the address book - it&#39;s possible that this is happening to you and it&#39;s not you, but someone that has the email of the circle that got emails supposedly from you. You should check this with anti-virus stuff anyway.
          Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Cheers Lads&#33;

Col, that Norton disc would be very much appreciated. I&#39;ll PM you my address.

Apologies in advance to any Vultures who receive a dodgy (or dodgier than usual&#33 e-mail from me.

Normal sevice will (hopefully) be resumed as quickly as possible.
            He also contributed songs for the Jim Henson movie vehicle 'Muppets From Space'.

Comment

If you want some free anti-virus software, then follow this link and go to &#39;AVG Free Edition&#39; on the options on the left of the page:

Grisoft

I&#39;ve been using it for while and it seems pretty good - although you do need to re-visit the site every couple of weeks or so to upgrade the database of viruses it works from.
              The Pop Music Library

Comment

I&#39;m still having trouble&#33;

I tried to download both the Grisoft and Trend Micros programmes and both times it stopped doing it saying &#39;the source file could not be read&#39;

OOh ek&#33;

What now?

Oh and this appears to be the worm in question:

[email protected] Last Updated 2/18/04 12:48pM

CIT has been notified of a new variant of the [email protected] email virus called [email protected] This is a mass-mailing worm that also spreads via mapped network drives C through Z searching for folder names containing the word &quot;Share&quot; or &quot;Sharing&quot; used by P2P applications such as KaZaa. The email component searches for email addresses in files with the extentions .msg, .oft, .sht, .dbx, .tbb, .adb,.doc, .wab, .asp, .uin, .rtf, .vbs, .html, .htm, .pl, .php, .txt and .eml files. By using its own SMTP engine the worm sends copies of itself to all found contacts.

In email form, [email protected] appears as follows:

Fromaddress is spoofed)

Subjectone of the following)

* hi
                * hello
                * read it immediately
                * something for you
                * warning
                * information
                * stolen
                * fake
                * unknown

The message bodyone of the following)

* anything ok?
                * what does it mean?
                * ok
                * i&#39;m waiting
                * read the details
                * here is the document
                * read it immediately&#33;
                * my hero
                * here
                * is that true?
                * is that your name?
                * is that your account?
                * i wait for a reply&#33;
                * is that from you?
                * you are a bad writer
                * I have your password&#33;
                * something about you&#33;
                * kill the writer of this document&#33;
                * i hope it is not true&#33;
                * your name is wrong
                * i found this document about you
                * yes, really?
                * that is bad
                * here it is
                * see you
                * greetings
                * stuff about you?
                * something is going wrong&#33;
                * information about you
                * about me
                * from the chatter
                * here, the serials
                * here, the introduction
                * here, the cheats
                * that&#39;s funny
                * do you?
                * take it easy
                * why?
                * thats wrong
                * misc
                * you earn money
                * you feel the same
                * you try to steal
                * you are bad
                * something is going wrong
                * something is fool

Attachmentone of the following) ZIP file with double extension like .doc.pif, .rtf.com, .rtf.scr, .txt.exe (22,016 bytes )

* document
                * msg
                * doc
                * talk
                * details
                * attachment
                * me
                * stuff
                * posting
                * textfile
                * concert
                * information
                * note
                * bill
                * swimmingpool
                * product
                * topseller
                * ps
                * shower
                * aboutyou
                * nomoney
                * found
                * story
                * mails
                * website
                * friend
                * jokes
                * release
                * dinner
                * ranking
                * object
                * mail2
                * part2
                * disco
                * party
                * misc

Comment

SOMETHING IS FOOL&#33;

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] ]   * kill the writer of this document&#33;

how about a virus that says... &quot;my style is better than yours&quot; or &quot;that&#39;s a booty reissue, sucker&#33;&quot;

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

just found out this has happened on my work machine too, despite all the latest patches and the latest update of norton antivirus and a stack of firewall software... so watch out&#33;
                      http://www.blaxploitation.com
                      Chops for show, groove for dough.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                        Quote[/b] (Hadrian Elephant @ Feb. 25 2004,20:22)]CIT has been notified of a new variant of the [email protected] email virus called [email protected] This is a mass-mailing worm that also spreads via mapped network drives C through Z searching for folder names containing the word &quot;Share&quot; or &quot;Sharing&quot; used by P2P applications such as KaZaa. The email component searches for email addresses in files with the extentions .msg, .oft, .sht, .dbx, .tbb, .adb,.doc, .wab, .asp, .uin, .rtf, .vbs, .html, .htm, .pl, .php, .txt and .eml files. By using its own SMTP engine the worm sends copies of itself to all found contacts.
                        This is the kind of virus which makes people believe that they have a virus when they actually don&#39;t. I think that, unless, you&#39;ve got an email like this *and* openened the attachment then you won&#39;t be infected. Though people might get emails which appear to be from you, the addresss are spoofed - so you give the impression of being infected when you are not.
                        Errr..Hambone?

Comment

Personally, I&#39;d buy a Mac
                          We know when a mate buys it for you too.

Comment

Virrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrus.

Dear PayPal member,

PayPal would like to inform you about some important information regarding your PayPal account. This account, which is associated with the email address

*@*

will be expiring within five business days. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause, but this is occurring because all of our customers are required to update their account settings with their personal information.

We are taking these actions because we are implementing a new security policy on our website to insure everyone&#39;s absolute privacy. To avoid any interruption in PayPal services then you will need to run the application that we have sent with this email (see attachment) and follow the instructions. Please do not send your personal information through email, as it will not be as secure.

IMPORTANT&#33; If you do not update your information with our secure application within the next five business days then we will be forced to deactivate your account and you will not be able to use your PayPal account any longer. It is strongly recommended that you take a few minutes out of your busy day and complete this now.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE VIA EMAIL&#33; This mail is sent by an automated message system and the reply will not be received.

Thank you for using PayPal.

evbeqmeq
                            www.thesoundlibrary.net <- Changed URL

Comment

An additional warning: just connected to the net, and instead of going direct to the homepage, the computer immediately presented a pop up asking whether I wanted to download a file from guardian.co[1] (homepage is The Guardian, for my sins). Very persistent - cancel it, try to get onto the net, up it pops again...until I reset the hompage to blank in the control panel. Looks like the virus (or another one) might now possibly be mimicing stored website addresses as well as email ones. Done a scan, and there&#39;s no virus IN the machine: clearly, it&#39;s TRYING to replicate itself, and getting more persistent and sophisticated. Anyone else had this variant/new worm, whatever it is?

Keep &#39;em peeled...
                              a giant steam-powered turntable in warwickshire plays six foot cement recordings of Prince Albert's speeches to the rejoicing populace

Comment

Working...
                              X