Only me !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only me !

Just a quick "hello" to all and to apologise to one or two folks for not being in touch for a week or so. No excuses, just been busy at work etc etc

Vinylism - drop me an email about the reggae track so I can get your email address !

Pokester - thanks for the guided tour of Bruxelles! The finds make up the majority of my chart for this month...

Blighty, Bennicio there's a Bill Hicks retrospective on R1 this Friday night. Unfortunately, it's twinned with a discussion on Kurt Cobain's death - something we've probably heard to much about already IMHO...

Hadrian Elephant remember your dancing shoes next time you visit ! We last saw Towny staggering off for kebab meat and chips...

70's Kid - thanks for the work you've put in to deliver the interview for the update. I'll not spoil the surprise for the rest of the Vultures!

...and apologies to all I've forgotten to remember in this update !

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Cheers Sie. I'll check that out. Hopefully people won't be talking the enormous amount of crap they were the the recent article on the BBCs website. There's a whole bunch of tribute nights in the UK/US etc mostly on Thursday and Friday (link). I wish I'd though of that myself actually. The landlord at my local is a big Hicks fan and I could have set up a night there. It would have been a good excuse to get drunk and watch some Bill Hicks videos/DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
      Quote[/b] (Sie Vulture @ Feb. 24 2004,22:49)]Just a quick "hello" to all and to apologise to one or two folks for not being in touch for a week or so. No excuses, just been busy at work etc etc

Vinylism - drop me an email about the reggae track so I can get your email address !

Pokester - thanks for the guided tour of Bruxelles! The finds make up the majority of my chart for this month...

Blighty, Bennicio there's a Bill Hicks retrospective on R1 this Friday night. Unfortunately, it's twinned with a discussion on Kurt Cobain's death - something we've probably heard to much about already IMHO...

Hadrian Elephant remember your dancing shoes next time you visit ! We last saw Towny staggering off for kebab meat and chips...

70's Kid - thanks for the work you've put in to deliver the interview for the update. I'll not spoil the surprise for the rest of the Vultures!

...and apologies to all I've forgotten to remember in this update !

And thankyou Sie/Chris for all your excellent work formatting my stuff! Big cheers to the both of you!

Don't forget Sie - drop me a line about those Amphonic LPs and I'm sure we can sort somenthing out.
      Barry Morgan's brother is a driving instructor

Comment

gracias for el tapas

Comment

Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Feb. 25 2004,10:58)]Cheers Sie. I'll check that out. Hopefully people won't be talking the enormous amount of crap they were the the recent article on the BBCs website. There's a whole bunch of tribute nights in the UK/US etc mostly on Thursday and Friday (link). I wish I'd though of that myself actually. The landlord at my local is a big Hicks fan and I could have set up a night there. It would have been a good excuse to get drunk and watch some Bill Hicks videos/DVDs.          
          Probably out of reach for the board's biggest bill fans, but there's a night in Bristol this weekend, featuring sometime poster The Head Gardener, details are . . .

BILL HICKS DEATHAVERSARY
          (Say 28th / £2.50 / 8pm)

Gather to remember the legacy of this visionary public speaker and poet,
          featuring screenings, music and live performances inspired by the great man.

It's not every day that a performer comes along that challenges our view of
          reality so eloquently that he probes the mindset of both ROBERT CRUMB and
          HITLER in the same breath. Folks, its time to get bitter as we celebrate the
          10TH ANNIVERSARY of the death of a stand-up comedian who laid bare his own soul.
          Dead at 33 he should be considered the closest we ever came to a second coming.
          Meanwhile, so many of the issues that he spoke out against remain completely
          without significant challenge. Be they the war on terror, or drugs, or the reason
          for getting out of bed in the morning, Bill was on the case...

May be we need a Hicks.gif icon ?
          Laminated with Clarifoil™

also see : davidhopkinson.org

Comment

There's one in Nottingham too. A Few in London. Manchester, Cork, Ayr, they're all in the link I shoved up there.

A Bill Hicks icon would be superb, Mr Hopkinson. I need something to ween myself off this one. We need the Animal one back too. And Yoda.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Feb. 25 2004,14:21)]There's one in Nottingham too. A Few in London. Manchester, Cork, Ayr, they're all in the link I shoved up there.

A Bill Hicks icon would be superb, Mr Hopkinson. I need something to ween myself off this one.   We need the Animal one back too. And Yoda.
              ok, I'm on it . . . ( tho I've a feeling he may be tricky to capture . . . )

don't know where, animal, yoda and others have gone - I think that's one to badger   about . . .

EDIT : they can be found here though . . . http://www.essenhaitch.co.uk/vv

Comment

Mr. Hopkinson, did you ever get that MD I sent you with all the beardy folk lushness of Shawn Phillips?
                Never heard anything back??
                I was raised by wolves

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                  Quote[/b] (La-Soul-Fiend @ Feb. 25 2004,20:33)]Mr. Hopkinson, did you ever get that MD I sent you with all the beardy folk lushness of Shawn Phillips?
                  Never heard anything back??
                  Nope, I never did - must have got lost somewhere along the line! Sorry if you've been cursing my discourtesy!

( edit : that is I never got it in the first place, not that I never replied! )

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                    Quote[/b] (Blighty @ Feb. 25 2004,14:21)]There's one in Nottingham too. A Few in London. Manchester, Cork, Ayr, they're all in the link I shoved up there.

A Bill Hicks icon would be superb, Mr Hopkinson. I need something to ween myself off this one.   We need the Animal one back too. And Yoda.

http://www.essenhaitch.co.uk/hicks.gif

Comment

Mr Hopkinson - that is superb! I saw Mr Hicks live once here in Edinburgh many festivals ago - it was a shared bill with the Hicks wannabe Denis Leary - Leary was good but Bill blew him out of the water!
                      "..hole...road...middle thereof"

Comment

... As well as my Hicks DVD and vid's, I've got a couple of his later live performances on CD. "Rant In E Minor" and "Arizona Bay" were released by Rykodisc (?) in the mid 90's...

... I understand there are others in this series, I seem to recall there were 4 CD's released in total...

... Can anyone help me out with names etc of the other two ?

... Anyone like to hear the two I've got ?

If you're looking for a pristine copy then this isn't the one for you. The vinyl looks like someone has polished their brickwork with it and the label has been ruined by some fool with a pen.

Comment

Mr Hopkinson, that is superb. A fitting VV tribute on the 10th anniversary of this death. Now someone needs to send the heavies round to see Sermad so we can have Bill, Animal and Yoda in our smilies options.          

Sie, there's loads more than that now. They keep bunging them out and to be honest although the material repeats an enormous amount I could quite happily own every slightly different version of every routine he did. He always has some little twist.

These are all the official releases. I have two disks full of mp3s with loads of bootleg stuff on there. I also have on Div X Sane Man, Chicago Funny Farm and Ninja Bachlor Party. I can do copies of those obviously. *wink wink*

I love 'Rant In E Minor'. That's my favorite Hicks CD. That's him knowing he's dying and just going off. The Jay Leno stuff is hilarious. Anyway, 10 years ago today. Currently cracking Hendrix up in heaven and snorting Yul Brynner's noggin' no doubt. RIP Mr Hicks.

Comment

I know me and Blighty may come across as a bit starstruck and evangelical, but fellas, those of you who have not heard any Hicks really need to. Everything will make sense. And those of you who have heard Hicks, but weren't all that moved, go and listen to him again. Really listen this time. And think about the fact that he's been gone 10 years and everything he said has come true. Everything.

Closest thing we've had to a second coming until Jesus himself returns. And if Jesus does come back, I hope United sign him. Miracles are required. But I digress.

Just do yourselves a big favour and check out some Hicks. I've been reading 'Love All The People' (£7 in Fopp) all week and virtually pissing myself on the train to/from work.

The man was a legend.

Beelzebozo - RIP.

Benicio
                            Jet Boy stole my baby.

Comment

Originally posted by [b
                              Quote[/b] (Benicio Del Toffo @ Feb. 26 2004,10:58)]I know me and Blighty may come across as a bit starstruck and evangelical

Closest thing we've had to a second coming until Jesus himself returns.
                              Hehe.. a bit evangelical? Surely you jest?!!
                              Let him have the lot for £2.00 - we were only going to throw 'em out anyway...

Comment

Working...
                              X