Needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needles

My Shure M44G's are about to give up the ghost and rather than replacing the stylus (again) I thought I would 'invest' in a pair of Ortofon Nightclub's,

Just was wondering what you guys had experienced with various makes/brands concerning skipping, burning, sound quality etc (do you really get what you pay for?)

Also, im writing a short article about record digging for a student magazine based in Brighton, im looking for someone to give a short interview about searching for breaks etc, might also be able to get you some publicity if youÂ’ve got things out (looking at you 7hills, cool stuff !!).
    working together for better bass and treble

I use the Ortofon DJS Concordes with my 1200's and the only problems that I've found is that I'm having to add *alot* more weight to the arm that I have had previously to stop 'em buzzing (a full rotation of the weight !) on low frequencies.

Now I've got the weight 'sounding' right they are a solid, prettymuchunbreakable workhourse on both my studio and 'listening' decks.

Oh, if you need any help with your article, feel free to ask, as I'd be happy to help (and not a million miles from Brighton).

(Edited by Matt Hero at 9:45 pm on Mar. 18, 2003)
    Matt Hero

Comment

Hi there,

a good thread!! I use the Ortofon's as well. I love that "jetnose" design. But here is a good question.
      What does everyone use to clean the stlyus? Whats the best technique?

Cheers,

David
      God bless Fatso.

Comment

I use the provided brush, but if buildup sticks to the needle i normally have a go with a pin and a steady hand never tried any of the cleaning fluids thou.

Ive found with my M44G's that they hold well, don't cause a lot of burn, but under continuous use do tend to bend requiring the stylus to replaced, i've also had volume issues with them in the past, one loud + bassy, one very quiet and tinny, might just be my clumsy mitts thou

hey matt, i need to get organised and then i'll drop ya an e-mail if thats ok, prob be in the next two weeks odd (and it will come from [email protected]) cheers
        working together for better bass and treble

Comment

</span>
          Originally posted by [b
          Quote[/b] ]Quote: from soundsville on 1:36 am on Mar. 19, 2003
          Hi there,

a good thread!! I use the Ortofon's as well. I love that &quot;jetnose&quot; design. But here is a good question.

Cheers,

David
          <span =''>

Me? I just drag my fingertip across the surface of the needle.

Your starter for ten: Am I an ignorant fool?

Comment

</span>
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from formigo on 6:14 am on Mar. 19, 2003
            </span>
            Originally posted by [b
            Quote[/b] ]Quote: from soundsville on 1:36 am on Mar. 19, 2003
            Hi there,

a good thread!! I use the Ortofon's as well. I love that &quot;jetnose&quot; design. But here is a good question.

Cheers,

David
            <span =''>

Me? I just drag my fingertip across the surface of the needle.

Your starter for ten: Am I an ignorant fool?
            <span =''>

Hee Hee - ditto mate, you can see the little speck of gunk come right off on your finger tips. I assume my soft office worker hands are not too abrasive to cause any damage!

And I use the Ortofon Concordes as well. Which are nice.

Comment

</span>
              Originally posted by [b
              Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Matt Hero on 9:45 pm on Mar. 18, 2003
              I use the Ortofon DJS Concordes with my 1200's and the only problems that I've found is that I'm having to add *alot* more weight to the arm that I have had previously to stop 'em buzzing (a full rotation of the weight !) on low frequencies.

Now I've got the weight 'sounding' right they are a solid, prettymuchunbreakable workhourse on both my studio and 'listening' decks.
              <span =''>
              Yeah, but your decks are weird Matt!

I've got these needles too (I think), and I have no problem with the weight. Don't forget Matt, you had problems with the weight with Stantons too, no? Mind you, I have 1210s rather than 1200s, so maybe that's the difference?

I too use the patented &quot;fingertip&quot; method. I figure that compared to the damage that gets done with the old classic &quot;drop the needle on the side of the platter&quot; technique ( I'm looking at you here Rich ), my fingertip is fine.

manzo
              Don't call it a comeback... H, N, and the number 7.
              Ok, it's a bit of a comeback, I suppose...

Comment

</span>
                Originally posted by [b
                Quote[/b] ]I figure that compared to the damage that gets done with the old classic &quot;drop the needle on the side of the platter&quot; technique ( I'm looking at you here Rich ), my fingertip is fine.
                <span =''>The Aphex Twin is my god.

So what can anyone suggest as the best way to avoid burning those overpriced 45's when cueing up the first beat?
                You freeking scientologists are all the same, quible, dribble and then demand ice creams. Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Rich,

Cue it once. Wind back quarter turn, stop deck. No burns Once you've got the timing, you'll be fine. Never quite got it right myself
                  Matt Hero

Comment

I've got some Stanton 'Discmaster' bright yellow all-in-one numbers, and they're pretty solid for my uses (I'm rubbish at scratching anyway )

And I use my patent pending RubberLips™ to direct large amounts of air onto my stylii, removing dust and dirt with pin-point precision ...
                    FunkyDown
                    Facebook | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                    X